Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Two room flat

Hi,

Just for entertainment purposes, I am on the email list for a
couple of the property auction companies. I don't have the money or
the nerve to play the properrty development game.

I have just seen a flat in Tottenham, in an Edwardian terrace for
£60k . Sign of the times.

I read a little further and saw the description as "two rooms".
That means one toilet and shower room and one other living / bedroom /
kitchen area. Now in an Edwardian terrace how are you going to squeeze
that in? I'm sure it won't have the floor area of a Manhattan or
Clerkenwell loft with "open-living" arrangements. Surely this "flat"
must contravene several building regulations ?? And how was such a
small box ever mortgageable? My gut feelings tell me that we only need
to look at such "property", and people being so desperate to buy it,
and the mortgage lenders previously being prepared to lend on it, to
understand why we have in London so many sub-standard, unmortgageable
properties. A plague on all their (the mortgage lenders) houses to
fuel such a situation.

Yours (should leave off the heavy red wine),

Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Clive wrote:
I have just seen a flat in Tottenham, in an Edwardian terrace for
£60k . Sign of the times.

I read a little further and saw the description as "two rooms".
That means one toilet and shower room and one other living / bedroom /
kitchen area.

Normally a two room flat excludes bathroom and kitchen - even where the
kitchen is separate. What you're describing is usually called a studio -
one living space plus bathroom.

--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 30, 10:53*am, Clive wrote:

* *I have just seen a flat in Tottenham, in an Edwardian terrace for
£60k . Sign of the times.

* *I read a little further and saw the description as "two rooms".
That means one toilet and shower room and one other living / bedroom /
kitchen area.

Clerkenwell loft with "open-living" arrangements. Surely this "flat"
must contravene several building regulations ??

Mosts houses do. So what?

And how was such a
small box ever mortgageable?

free market

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Aug, 10:53, Clive wrote:
[...]

Interesting to see what will happen. The last time the market crashed
these "studios" (ie bedsits) became completely unsaleable to owner
occupiers. Those who had bought them just before the music stopped
were probably the worst suffers of that downturn, some of them stuck
for years in a place which wasn't even big enough when they first
moved in. My hazy recollection is that many of the flats were bought
at knockdown prices by landlords, and I would say that type of housing
has a role to play in the market as rented accommodation for those who
need somewhere compact and cheap to rent for six to twelve months. The
landlords in the mid-90s were funded by commercial mortgages. Maybe
the greatest change in the market since then is the rise of the buy-to-
let mortgage, and finance generally being easier to obtain for
landlords. Even now with a dramatically constrained credit supply
landlords who can raise a 25% deposit can borrow fairly easily. So
maybe the prices of these studios will be find a floor more readily
than they did last time once rental yields offer a sensible return.

Errr, don't ask me the relevance to DIY.

Cheers!

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 05:20:55 -0700 (PDT), Martin Pentreath
wrote:

On 30 Aug, 10:53, Clive wrote:
[...]

Around here in a generally low priced area they have been building
"Studios" for decades. One large room for everything with a
bathroom/toilet in one corner. Advertised as "£20 per weeks get you
one". They are ideal for singles or couple with no kids and provided
something much better than £40 for someone back room in a semi
sharing. They command a decent buy/sell price too. Very popular with
old people as they are easy to clean.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
EricP wrote:
Around here in a generally low priced area they have been building
"Studios" for decades. One large room for everything with a
bathroom/toilet in one corner. Advertised as "£20 per weeks get you
one". They are ideal for singles or couple with no kids and provided
something much better than £40 for someone back room in a semi
sharing. They command a decent buy/sell price too. Very popular with
old people as they are easy to clean.

They're also popular - and expensive - as a pied a terre close to a
station and decent restaurants, etc. Usually in a fully serviced block.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 02:53:47 -0700, Clive wrote:

[...]

It would be interesting to know exactly where just to have a better look.

It may well have been illegally converted into a tiny flat, but that's
history now. Two rooms may well be a bed/sitting + kitchenette or even
bedroom + living/kitchen space. The shower/bathroom may well be there and
not counted as part of the two room.

The area is somewhat variable ranging from a bad area up to average.

60k sounds well under the going rate even in these times and in that area.
Therefore it's likely to be some other show stopping problem. Nevertheless
if the place is essentially habitable albeit cramped and unpleasant it
would probably get at least £100 a week rent or more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

I guess it's this one:

http://62.105.94.133/lond_Current_auction_lot.asp?pos=4

Though they have moved it, the postcode is actually in Haringey (I've no
idea if that makes a difference to the buyer potential)

I think that the OP has misunderstood the details, I think it means two
rooms plus Bathroom/WC, not two rooms, one of which is Bathroom/WC.

250K appears to be the going price for a whole house in this road, so a 60
guide for an unmodernised flat, less than one complete floor, seems right.

The property has been split into three flats and the "ground rear" is in
Band B with the other two in Band C. Next door, still a complete house, is
in E.

HTH

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote in message

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

N17 is Tottenham
And it does say

Accommodation:
Ground Floor - Two Rooms (One with Kitchen Area off), Bathroom/WC

But I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, thing are set to get a lot worse
before it gets better. ;(

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
m...

tim..... wrote in message

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

That's not what the Royal Mail postcode site says.

And it does say

Accommodation:
Ground Floor - Two Rooms (One with Kitchen Area off), Bathroom/WC

Yes I know, it was the OP who interpreted it differently

But I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, thing are set to get a lot worse
before it gets better. ;(

Why is that relevent to this particular property?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote in message

I guess it's this one:

http://62.105.94.133/lond_Current_auction_lot.asp?pos=4

Though they have moved it, the postcode is actually in Haringey

N17 is Tottenham

That's not what the Royal Mail postcode site says.

So which borough does Tottenham now come under ?

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Ed Sirett
saying something like:

It may well have been illegally converted into a tiny flat, but that's
history now. Two rooms may well be a bed/sitting + kitchenette or even
bedroom + living/kitchen space. The shower/bathroom may well be there and
not counted as part of the two room.

There was an interesting prog on BBC4 last week...
http://norfolkandholmes.co.uk/notices.php
In it was a flat in London - two rooms all right - one of them being the
bog and shower. The other room was a combined kitchen/liv rm
/bedroom/etc. Total floor area was mentioned as being five square metres
or similar. It's just like walking into a big cupboard - I mean, the
room I'm in at the moment is bigger than their entire flat, ffs.
The couple in it paid through the nose and now can't sell it - who would
want it.

People shouldn't have to live like that and it's all down to the greedy
*******s who pushed the prices ever upwards.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
om...

tim..... wrote in message

I guess it's this one:

http://62.105.94.133/lond_Current_auction_lot.asp?pos=4

Though they have moved it, the postcode is actually in Haringey

N17 is Tottenham

That's not what the Royal Mail postcode site says.

So which borough does Tottenham now come under ?

I've no idea, but that isn't the point,

If you go to the RM postcode finder and type in that road and "tottenam" it
says that they isn't one.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 19:02:54 +0100, tim..... wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message

So which borough does Tottenham now come under ?

I've no idea, but that isn't the point,

If you go to the RM postcode finder and type in that road and "tottenam"
it says that they isn't one.

Even if you put "Tottenham" it still does. Google says N17 6TH is
Haringey, but the map shows it as halfway between 'Tottenham' and 'South
Tottenham' with the "Harringay" rail stations well off to the west.

Incidentally, the RM database was sure my old house was in Worcestershire
but the council said it was in Herefordshire, so you can't take either as
gospel. Boundaries change and post-town boundaries are only approxiamte
anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote in message

Though they have moved it, the postcode is actually in Haringey

N17 is Tottenham

That's not what the Royal Mail postcode site says.

So which borough does Tottenham now come under ?

I've no idea, but that isn't the point,

sigh

N17 6TH is in Mount pleasant Rd, Bruce Grove ward within spitting distance
from the notorious Broadwater farm est. Tottenham.
shown by the arrow here
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=533228,189941
&st=4&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=533 228&ay=189941

And if that doesn't convince you try putting the post code in the
interactive map
Borough of Haringey, of which Tottenham is part of.
http://maps.haringey.gov.uk/screen/startAccess.asp

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PCPaul wrote:
Incidentally, the RM database was sure my old house was in
Worcestershire but the council said it was in Herefordshire, so you
can't take either as gospel. Boundaries change and post-town boundaries
are only approxiamte anyway.

Estate agents have a habit of moving boundaries so a property appears to
be in a better area. Chelsea borders for Fulham, etc.

--
*Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
m...
tim..... wrote in message
"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 02:53:47 -0700, Clive wrote:

Hi,

Just for entertainment purposes, I am on the email list for a
couple of the property auction companies. I don't have the money or
the
nerve to play the properrty development game.

I have just seen a flat in Tottenham, in an Edwardian terrace for
£60k . Sign of the times.

Though they have moved it, the postcode is actually in Haringey (I've no
idea if that makes a difference to the buyer potential)

N17 is Tottenham

That's not what the Royal Mail postcode site says.

So is it now Haringey Hotspur
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/club..._contacts.html

note the address and post code

--
PW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:25:33 UTC, PW wrote:

So is it now Haringey Hotspur
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/club..._contacts.html

note the address and post code

Tottenham has been technically part of Haringey for quite a while (so
says my wife, who grew up there).

No reason why the club name has to change! At least they're still in the
same place - unlike Arsenal, who are a long way from their beginnings.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:25:33 UTC, PW wrote:

So is it now Haringey Hotspur
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/club..._contacts.html

note the address and post code

Tottenham has been technically part of Haringey for quite a while (so
says my wife, who grew up there).

Im well aware of that as I live there
It was the N17 Tottenham postcode that was in question.

--
PW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

So which borough does Tottenham now come under ?

I've no idea, but that isn't the point,

If you go to the RM postcode finder and type in that road and

"tottenam"
it says that they isn't one.

Even if you put "Tottenham" it still does. Google says N17 6TH is
Haringey, but the map shows it as halfway between 'Tottenham' and
'South
Tottenham' with the "Harringay" rail stations well off to the west.

Tottenham, as well as the old village of Harringay, are both now in the
London Borough of Haringey; it contains lots of rail stations, and a
fair few villages as well...

spulling craefully ckeced

I wondered about Haringey and Harringay too - and I'm a Nrothrener so
completely illiterate with no knowledge of the S**th.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:44:19 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

I wondered about Haringey and Harringay too - and I'm a Nrothrener so
completely illiterate with no knowledge of the S**th.

Yeah, I don't really care either ;-)

Once you get inside the M25 it's all just urban splurge anyway...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PCPaul" wrote in message
om...
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:44:19 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

I wondered about Haringey and Harringay too - and I'm a Nrothrener so
completely illiterate with no knowledge of the S**th.

Yeah, I don't really care either ;-)

Once you get inside the M25 it's all just urban splurge anyway...

It's a long time since I did that, it's something to avoid :-(

But some live there and like it so who are we to judge?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:43:16 +0100, tim..... wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
m...

tim..... wrote in message

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

That's Tottenham regardless of the post people.
It's also in the LB of Haringey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 22:56:22 +0000, Mark wrote:

tim..... wrote in message

Though they have moved it, the postcode is actually in Haringey

N17 is Tottenham

That's not what the Royal Mail postcode site says.

So which borough does Tottenham now come under ?

I've no idea, but that isn't the point,

sigh

N17 6TH is in Mount pleasant Rd, Bruce Grove ward within spitting
distance from the notorious Broadwater farm est. Tottenham. shown by the
arrow here
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?

x=533228&y=189941&z=3&sv=533228,189941
&st=4&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=533 228&ay=189941

And if that doesn't convince you try putting the post code in the
interactive map
Borough of Haringey, of which Tottenham is part of.
http://maps.haringey.gov.uk/screen/startAccess.asp

That's not a really really bad area.
There must be some really big reason for a basic bedsitting flat being
less than 100k.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 14:04:19 +0100, PW wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:25:33 UTC, PW wrote:

So is it now Haringey Hotspur
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/club..._contacts.html

note the address and post code

Tottenham has been technically part of Haringey for quite a while (so
says my wife, who grew up there).

Im well aware of that as I live there It was the N17 Tottenham postcode
that was in question.

N22 is Wood Green, N17 is Tottenham, N15 is South Tottenham.

The N post codes are alphabetical from N1 (Angel) Islington
to N22 Wood Green.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Ed Sirett
saying something like:

"Just got back from 'Nam"

That's Tottenham

--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:43:16 +0100, tim..... wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
m...

tim..... wrote in message

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

You may know that,

but someone who doesn't know the area has to go by what the postal address
is, they have no other way of telling

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote in message

Though they have moved it, the postcode is actually in Haringey

N17 is Tottenham

That's not what the Royal Mail postcode site says.

N17 6TH is in Mount pleasant Rd, within spitting
distance from the notorious Broadwater farm est.

That's not a really really bad area.

Ok you got me on that one
If the Broadwater farm est area is only rated as bad, I cant think anywhere
else in London which could be called a "Really Really" bad area.

There must be some really big reason for a basic bedsitting flat being
less than 100k.

Sale is By Order of a housing association, so yes odd.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote in message

Though they have moved it, the postcode is actually in
Haringey

N17 is Tottenham

That's not what the Royal Mail postcode site says.

N17 6TH is in Mount pleasant Rd, within spitting distance from the
notorious Broadwater farm est.

That's not a really really bad area.

Ok you got me on that one
If the Broadwater farm est area is only rated as bad, I cant think
anywhere else in London which could be called a "Really Really" bad
area.

Firstly, Broadwater Farm has improved a bit in the last 27 years.

Why not use upmystreet.com to find out about a particular area.

Which gives a profile better than I expected for N17 6TH

Neighbourhood profile

Often, many of the people who live in this sort of postcode will be
singles and sharers living in multi-ethnic areas. These are known as type
21 in the ACORN classification and 1.68% of the UKs population live in
this type.

Neighbourhoods fitting this profile are mainly found in Inner London and
Outer Metropolitan areas such as Croydon, Harrow, Southall and Ilford.

Here is an overview of the likely preferences and features of your
neighbourhood:
Family income Medium
Interest in current affairs High
Housing - with mortgage Medium
Educated - to degree High
Couples with children Medium
Have satellite TV Low

A not so good area quite nearby might be
Here is an overview of the likely preferences and features of your
neighbourhood:
Family income Low
Interest in current affairs Very high
Housing - with mortgage Very low
Educated - to degree Medium
Couples with children Medium
Have satellite TV Low

which is the profile for a part of Broadwater Farm Estate

There must be some really big reason for a basic bedsitting flat being
less than 100k.

Sale is By Order of a housing association, so yes odd.

That accounts for the weird price, the HA wants to sell it presumably as
part of a repo deal? Shared equity scheme?

Normally 1 bed flats go for about £140k and falling bedsits perhaps
about 100k and falling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 21:46:29 +0100, tim..... wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:43:16 +0100, tim..... wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
m...

tim..... wrote in message

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

A post code can be put into Streetmap.co.uk or Google Earth... to see
where it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote in message

That's not a really really bad area.

Ok you got me on that one
If the Broadwater farm est area is only rated as bad, I cant think
anywhere else in London which could be called a "Really Really" bad
area.

Firstly, Broadwater Farm has improved a bit in the last 27 years.

Hmm, a bit
We still hold a few commercial freeholds in/around The High St, N17.
In fact quite a large area around what is now Broadwater Farm and Peabody
Est
was built by my Great Grandfather's firm in conjunction with British Land.

-