Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ideal Response 120 - Heat Exchanger

Hi my Ideal Response 120 (about 6 years old) has started to leak
inside the heat exchanger.

Ideal will sell me a new heat exchanger for £272 but i wondered if
this will be a short or long-term fix?

Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Aug, 13:38, wrote:
Hi my Ideal Response 120 (about 6 years old) has started to leak
inside the heat exchanger.

Ideal will sell me a new heat exchanger for £272 but i wondered if
this will be a short or long-term fix?

Cheers

Does that include all the other bits required such as seals,
refractories etc? At the end of the day you would have a new heat
exchanger in an old boiler. There would be a lot less work involved in
replacing the boiler than the stripdown, rebuild and replace so do
your sums. Bear in mind a new boiler will have a warranty
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 02:07:59 -0700, cynic wrote:

On 26 Aug, 13:38, wrote:
Hi my Ideal Response 120 (about 6 years old) has started to leak inside
the heat exchanger.

Ideal will sell me a new heat exchanger for £272 but i wondered if this
will be a short or long-term fix?

Cheers

Does that include all the other bits required such as seals,
refractories etc? At the end of the day you would have a new heat
exchanger in an old boiler. There would be a lot less work involved in
replacing the boiler than the stripdown, rebuild and replace so do your
sums. Bear in mind a new boiler will have a warranty

Reapiring an Ideal response will restore the boiler to one with a very
short life expentancy. However if you go that route do everything you can
to get the return water temperature as high as possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Aug, 13:38, wrote:
Hi my Ideal Response 120 (about 6 years old) has started to leak inside
the heat exchanger.

Ideal will sell me a new heat exchanger for £272 but i wondered if this
will be a short or long-term fix?

Cheers

Does that include all the other bits required such as seals,
refractories etc? At the end of the day you would have a new heat
exchanger in an old boiler. There would be a lot less work involved in
replacing the boiler than the stripdown, rebuild and replace so do your
sums. Bear in mind a new boiler will have a warranty

Reapiring an Ideal response will restore the boiler to one with a very
short life expentancy. However if you go that route do everything you can
to get the return water temperature as high as possible.

I know of a few Responses that are quite old and have never missed beat.
But they do have the temperature set high for the rads. The problem with
non-condensing boilers is that for them to work properly, the return
temperature has to be above 60C, which means the rad temps are too high for
many people, so they lower the setting and cause internal problems. Fit a
blending valve between the flow and return to ensure 60C is being returned.
But this valve will not be cheap either. Parts may be over £400 in total.
May as well consider a new high flowrate condensing combi boiler which will
use less gas too, although the Response is a reasonably economical boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Aug, 13:38, wrote:
[...]

The problem is worse with the Response because there is little excess air
passing through the boiler due the use of a forced pre-mix burner. Thus
the flue gasses are wetter than with most non-condensing boilers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Aug, 13:38, wrote:
Hi my Ideal Response 120 (about 6 years old) has started to leak
inside the heat exchanger.

Ideal will sell me a new heat exchanger for Ã,£272 but i wondered if
[...]

Yep. The rad temp settings on the Response must be on maximum. Yep I have
seen plumes coming out of Response flues.