Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default retiling shower enclosure

We are having to re-tile one side of our corner shower enclosure, with
the original tiles.

Has anyone any advice other than try and get as much of the old
adhesive off as possible ?

any tips gratefully received !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just done that - retiled both sides.

Remove tiles using hammer and chisel etc trying to cause as little damage to
the wall as possible. Then use a standard wallpaper steam stripper, and the
adhesive will come off the wall in no time or effort, and without causing
any damage to the wall.

"walter" wrote in message
We are having to re-tile one side of our corner shower enclosure, with
the original tiles.

Has anyone any advice other than try and get as much of the old
adhesive off as possible ?

any tips gratefully received !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

walter wrote:

We are having to re-tile one side of our corner shower enclosure, with
the original tiles.

Has anyone any advice other than try and get as much of the old
adhesive off as possible ?

any tips gratefully received !

For god's sake tile under the Shower unit if it is electric.

I've just had to replace ours, and had to match up 12 year old tiles
to cover the hole under the old unit. Thankfully there was a tile
warehouse with some old stock they managed to dredge up, and let me
have 2 for free.

Got home and found that I needed 4 to cover the hole in the tiles, so
I carefully removed a half tile, replaced with a full tile and used
the 2 quarters to complete the job.

A lot of faffing around, but the result is good.

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

walter wrote:
We are having to re-tile one side of our corner shower enclosure, with
the original tiles.

Has anyone any advice other than try and get as much of the old
adhesive off as possible ?

any tips gratefully received !

Put the tiles in a bucket of water, leave for a day or so and the
adhesive will just peel off with a wall paper scraper. This has always
worked for me, but maybe my tiles fell off in the bathroom, kitchen and
em suite because the builders did not use a good quality waterproof
adhesive like they should.
Leave tiles to dry for a few days and you are ready to go.

To get old adhesive of the wall I used my SDS drill with a 3 inch chisel
- This type of method suits me. Is it 'safe' - depends upon how good
your plaster is I suppose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:01:06 +0100, walter wrote:

We are having to re-tile one side of our corner shower enclosure, with
the original tiles.

Has anyone any advice other than try and get as much of the old
adhesive off as possible ?

any tips gratefully received !

cheers boys - tiles off to soak as I type

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default suplementary question

soaking the tiles has done the job.

Now, having removed the shower enclosure, is there any solvent to help
getting generations of congealed bathroom sealant off the bottom of
it, or is it pick and scrape, pick and scrape....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
walter wrote:
Now, having removed the shower enclosure, is there any solvent to help
getting generations of congealed bathroom sealant off the bottom of
it, or is it pick and scrape, pick and scrape....

There are solvents for silicone sealer. Remove as much as you can
mechanically and apply - leave for about a day and wash off.

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Shower enclosure JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com Home Repair 3 December 29th 06 12:25 AM
shower enclosure stinks! [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 24th 06 03:31 AM
shower enclosure John G UK diy 0 February 22nd 06 12:23 PM
Shower enclosure Stinkoman UK diy 1 April 17th 05 04:35 PM