Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another storage heater question

Sorry. Of those who have storage heaters, does anyone have one of those
combi jobs with a fan heater or convector attached?

is it more useful than a standard auto? Also daftest question. How does it
work? is it possible to use the fan/ convector during the day ? How do they
do this? The supply set up on my storage heaters only allows them to come on
at night. All power to the heaters is off during the day.

Maybe a bit late in the day but I am thinking of changing my main heaters
across the house and having a combi in the sitting room .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:13:10 +0100, endymion wrote:

Also daftest question. How does it work? is it possible to use the fan/
convector during the day ? How do they do this? The supply set up on my
storage heaters only allows them to come on at night. All power to the
heaters is off during the day.

They have to have a normal, unswitched, mains connection as well. I
suspect they could just be plugged in to a normal socket as it only needs
to drive the fan, the heat comes from the core. They could be a combined
conventional storeage heater with a conventional fan heater in one box but
that strikes me a s bit daft. Why use expensive day rate power when you
have heat stored form cheap night rate?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:19:41 +0100, Owain wrote:

IMHO they need a special dual outlet FCU, which has one multipole switch
controlling two separate (day and night) circuits, to enable the
appliance to be isolated on all poles with a single switch.

In your humble opinion... but I do take the rather good point point but I
can't say I've ever seen such an FCU.

Looking at the storage heaters that TLC have to offer those with built in
fan or convector heaters work as two independant heaters in one box rather
than just having a fan to cool the core quicker. This probably makes the
"single switch isolation" less of an issue as internally you'd have to
seperate boxes and thus you'd have to remove two covers to have both set
of terminals exposed.

Storage heaters aren't cheap are they? And even the "automatic" ones
don't strike me as overly user friendly. The Duoheat system appeals, I'll
have to look more closely at that. The cottage is E7 with ancient and huge
heaters, that could reaaly do with being upgraded and the Duoheat system
seems to offer some solutions to the problems of storage heating.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:04:35 +0100, Owain wrote:

The Duoheat system appeals, I'll have to look more closely at that. The
cottage is E7 with ancient and huge heaters, that could reaaly do with
being upgraded and the Duoheat system seems to offer some solutions to
the problems of storage heating.

It's a nicely automated way of using peak-rate electricity to mitigate
the disadvantages of storage heaters.

Aye downloaded a load of pdfs on them from the TLC site yesterday, read
them this morning. I don't like this idea of using peak rate for the
"comfort" setting and the "setback" doesn't take it as cool as I would
like and "frost" is too low. More research required, I've lived with
storage heating before and know the problems but I believe a storage
heater with timed and room stat controlled automatic output it should be
possible to mitigate the cold evening syndrome. Having enough input when
the weather changes is tricky though as one can't predict the future.
Going the other way with the weather getting warming decent insulation
would mean the heat stays in the core rather than leaking out and
superheating the room.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Storage heater sometimes trips MCB - what to do? RustyRatchet UK diy 1 March 24th 08 10:15 AM
Storage Heater not heating up [email protected] UK diy 6 April 7th 07 11:47 AM
Storage heater problem [email protected] UK diy 2 November 30th 05 07:18 AM
Install Storage Heater Da Buit UK diy 1 September 22nd 05 02:34 PM
Storage heater panel Manic Blue UK diy 0 October 2nd 03 02:50 PM