Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A place to get some 1/4" pine planks?

I need to get some pine 1/4" thin planks preferably something wider (say
15mm to 20mm+) than the ones in B&Q and without the lips for turning it
into flooring. Just simple straight edges. (within 50 mile of London area.)

Any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
I need to get some pine 1/4" thin planks preferably something wider
(say 15mm to 20mm+) than the ones in B&Q and without the lips for
turning it into flooring. Just simple straight edges. (within 50 mile
of London area.)

Any ideas?

Yes.

1) Any builders merchant

2) Any timber merchant

3) Any B&Q

You can buy pine timbers at 8 - 25mm thick, any width and any length...did
you look in any of these places?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
News wrote:
I need to get some pine 1/4" thin planks preferably something wider
(say 15mm to 20mm+) than the ones in B&Q and without the lips for
turning it into flooring. Just simple straight edges. (within 50 mile
of London area.)

Any ideas?

Yes.

1) Any builders merchant

2) Any timber merchant

3) Any B&Q

You can buy pine timbers at 8 - 25mm thick, any width and any length...did
you look in any of these places?

Makes you wonder Phillip since the sheds have opened up, some people don't
know what a woodyard is for. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
I need to get some pine 1/4" thin planks preferably something wider (say
15mm to 20mm+) than the ones in B&Q and without the lips for turning it
into flooring. Just simple straight edges. (within 50 mile of London area.)

Any ideas?

Any timber merchant should either have it, or prepare it for you from a
thicker section.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
News wrote:
I need to get some pine 1/4" thin planks preferably something wider (say
15mm to 20mm+) than the ones in B&Q and without the lips for turning it
into flooring. Just simple straight edges. (within 50 mile of London
area.)

Any ideas?

Any timber merchant should either have it, or prepare it for you from a
thicker section.

I wonder if the OP means 15 to 20 cm as this aligns more with the
reference to flooring.
If so then I'm not surprised he has not found 1/4" thick boards that wide.
Even if they were prepared especially by a timber merchant then the
stability would be very much in doubt.
Depending on the application, a man made board might be a better
solution perhaps?

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wonder if the OP means 15 to 20 cm as this aligns more with the
reference to flooring.
If so then I'm not surprised he has not found 1/4" thick boards that wide.
Even if they were prepared especially by a timber merchant then the
stability would be very much in doubt.

Which wouldn't be the merchant's problem :-)
Depending on their machinery, they might not fancy planing down to 1/4"

Depending on the application, a man made board might be a better
solution perhaps?

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

stuart noble wrote:
News wrote:
I need to get some pine 1/4" thin planks preferably something wider (say
15mm to 20mm+) than the ones in B&Q and without the lips for turning it
into flooring. Just simple straight edges. (within 50 mile of London
area.)

Any ideas?

Any timber merchant should either have it, or prepare it for you from a
thicker section.

I wonder if the OP means 15 to 20 cm as this aligns more with the
reference to flooring.

Its not for flooring so warpage not a problem.

If so then I'm not surprised he has not found 1/4" thick boards that wide.
Even if they were prepared especially by a timber merchant then the
stability would be very much in doubt.
Depending on the application, a man made board might be a better
solution perhaps?

I have plyboard and mdf but need solid but thin planks
for decorative work with natural looks.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

News wrote:
I need to get some pine 1/4" thin planks preferably something wider
(say 15mm to 20mm+) than the ones in B&Q and without the lips for
turning it into flooring. Just simple straight edges. (within 50 mile
of London area.)

Any ideas?

Yes.

1) Any builders merchant

2) Any timber merchant

3) Any B&Q

You can buy pine timbers at 8 - 25mm thick, any width and any length...did
you look in any of these places?

Handy to know if true - I only tried the local stores.
Need 8mm thin planks - but as as I said 15cm to 20cm+ wide instead of
the commonly available 10cm wide stuff.

(Sorry I can see now mistake above when I said 15mm to 20mm+
I had meant to say 15cm to 20cm stuff.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

I wonder if the OP means 15 to 20 cm as this aligns more with the
reference to flooring.

Yes I did mean 15cm to 20cm+
I finally see the mistake!!!

Doh!

Ooops! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
I need to get some pine 1/4" thin planks preferably something wider (say
15mm to 20mm+) than the ones in B&Q and without the lips for turning it
into flooring. Just simple straight edges. (within 50 mile of London area.)

Any ideas?

Does it have to be pine?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News wrote:
I need to get some pine 1/4" thin planks preferably something wider (say
15mm to 20mm+) than the ones in B&Q and without the lips for turning it
into flooring. Just simple straight edges. (within 50 mile of London
area.)

Be better if you gave the actual dimension you wanted? But (1/4") 6 x 25mm
roughly is not really a plank - more a strip - and you will find something
like that in B&Q, etc.

Dunno where you've seen the size you give in tongue and groove - and in
any case something that thin would be cladding - not floorboards.

--
*Not all men are annoying. Some are dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News wrote:
Handy to know if true - I only tried the local stores.
Need 8mm thin planks - but as as I said 15cm to 20cm+ wide instead of
the commonly available 10cm wide stuff.

(Sorry I can see now mistake above when I said 15mm to 20mm+
I had meant to say 15cm to 20cm stuff.)

You'd be far better using plywood for this. You'd need a high quality wood
to be stable at this sort of size.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

I wonder if the OP means 15 to 20 cm as this aligns more with the
reference to flooring.

Yes I did mean 15cm to 20cm+
I finally see the mistake!!!

Doh!

Ooops! :-)

Ok, I think your best route would be to talk to a proper timber merchant
about your application. You will likely need top grade knot free pine as
planing down knots to 1/4" will almost certainly cause them to fall out
either during planing or after the timber has been fitted.
You are still likely to suffer from splits and shakes (or the wood is!).
Try and get quarter sawn timber. This is where the growth rings run
almost vertically across the 1/4" dimension and in any case stay away
from the center of the tree and any sapwood (near the outside).
200mm is still very wide for this thickness and you might be best off
edge gluing 3x 70 mm pieces together.
You might be committed to a particular design but this is one of those
"I would not do it this way if I were you" situations.

Good Luck

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
News wrote:
Handy to know if true - I only tried the local stores.
Need 8mm thin planks - but as as I said 15cm to 20cm+ wide instead of
the commonly available 10cm wide stuff.

(Sorry I can see now mistake above when I said 15mm to 20mm+
I had meant to say 15cm to 20cm stuff.)

You'd be far better using plywood for this. You'd need a high quality wood
to be stable at this sort of size.

I think you are probably correct.
Its for that very same reason I haven't find easy stock item.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

News wrote:
I need to get some pine 1/4" thin planks preferably something wider (say
15mm to 20mm+) than the ones in B&Q and without the lips for turning it
into flooring. Just simple straight edges. (within 50 mile of London
area.)

Any ideas?

Does it have to be pine?

Some equivalent light coloured easy to work with softwood OK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
I need to get some pine 1/4" thin planks preferably something wider (say
15mm to 20mm+) than the ones in B&Q and without the lips for turning it
into flooring. Just simple straight edges. (within 50 mile of London
area.)

Any ideas?

Does it have to be pine?

Some equivalent light coloured easy to work with softwood OK

Bass might do you then.

1/4" is available in certain lengths from SLEC UK..website still crap,
but you could give them a call.

Or phone round local joiners who will be able to take stock sections and
plane/thickness them for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
If so then I'm not surprised he has not found 1/4" thick boards that
wide. Even if they were prepared especially by a timber merchant then
the stability would be very much in doubt. Depending on the
application, a man made board might be a better solution perhaps?

The joke is my house is full of 1/4" or so solid wood panels much wider
than the OP wants - all those panels in the doors etc. Dividers inside
sash windows. Probably others I can't call to mind. The Victorians
obviously had access to rather better wood than is the norm these days.

--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
If so then I'm not surprised he has not found 1/4" thick boards that
wide. Even if they were prepared especially by a timber merchant then
the stability would be very much in doubt. Depending on the
application, a man made board might be a better solution perhaps?

The joke is my house is full of 1/4" or so solid wood panels much wider
than the OP wants - all those panels in the doors etc. Dividers inside
sash windows. Probably others I can't call to mind. The Victorians
obviously had access to rather better wood than is the norm these days.

Yes, interesting that. Chests of drawers had thin sections for bases
before ply. ISTR fruitwood was often used for that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
If so then I'm not surprised he has not found 1/4" thick boards that
wide. Even if they were prepared especially by a timber merchant then
the stability would be very much in doubt. Depending on the
application, a man made board might be a better solution perhaps?

The joke is my house is full of 1/4" or so solid wood panels much wider
than the OP wants - all those panels in the doors etc. Dividers inside
sash windows. Probably others I can't call to mind. The Victorians
obviously had access to rather better wood than is the norm these days.

Rather that they didn't have plywood..

The panelled door is a natural response to needing a door that is
reasonably light and low in timber content, and dimensionally stable.