Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Where is a "safe place" to dispose of 14 oz. propane tanks?

Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 10:56 pm, mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Check with your waste hauler or county waste management dept.

http://www.govlink.org/hazwaste/hous...=965&catID=945

http://www.sandiego.gov/environmenta.../propane.shtml

If empty looks like they go in the trash but better check .......

If not empty, use them up first.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 24 Feb 2008 07:34:30 GMT, TD wrote:

mm wrote in
:

Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

How about starting with some recycling places in your town.

In the last year, I went to the two remaining county recycling places
-- usually go to the third one -- and I noted that one place takes
flammable liquids and the other takes batteries, but I didn't see any
reference to these.

Are the tanks still full?

No. They're as empty as I can get them. I'm going to answer BobK
directly.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:36:41 -0800 (PST), BobK207
wrote:

On Feb 23, 10:56 pm, mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Check with your waste hauler or county waste management dept.

I;ve read their 12-page booklet more than once, but I guess I can find
it and look again. (The booklet is not where it should be. That's
unusual.)

http://www.govlink.org/hazwaste/hous...=965&catID=945

http://www.sandiego.gov/environmenta.../propane.shtml

These are great pages. They must have been way down the list or I used
the wrong search terms. Thanks

If empty looks like they go in the trash but better check .......

If not empty, use them up first.

When I told TD they were as empty as I could get them, I meant they
are empty. There is still a slight aroma when the head is on and
open, but they're empty.

I have never had a problem with propane, but as I might have said
once, my MAPP tank of the same size sometimes stops providing gas to
the torch, sometimes suddenly, and then might work again later, like
if I take the head off of it and let it sit for a day. Five minutes
is not enough. I'll still manage to empty the thing, I'm sure.

I've thrown empty ones away in the past I guess, but the older I get,
the more "responsible" I seem to try to be.

Thanks to both of you.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Feb 24, 1:56 am, mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Empty? In the trashcan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Local rules probably vary. I disposed of an empty 5 gal. propane tank
having trash collector take it in normal trash pickup. A friend had a
tank supplier in our area charge him a hazardous waste fee to trade in
his tank. Guess he was gypped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

These empty Propane tanks differ from an empty hair spray can in what
respect?

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

I called our city about getting rid of propane tanks for gas grill. Our
city has a lot of
recycling programs, but don't take propane tanks. City said that
Walmart and Lowes take empties. Perhaps they
take your smaller ones as well. Or perhaps a welding shop knows what to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

These empty Propane tanks differ from an empty hair spray can in what
respect?

The LPG cans are stronger. If they are heated, the eventual explosion is
likely to be more intense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The trash.

Unless it is a very OLD cylinder, contemporary disposal instructions should be
on a label on the tank. Still, if it is "completely" empty, there is no good
reason to not place it into the general waste stream.

It is virtually inert and of small enough capacity that any remaining gas is
of no concern. It will eventually rust away underground. In a modern
landfill, this would cause NO problem.

Recycling of this type of container is not recommended or allowed (I believe)
due to the possibility of residual gas.
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 2/24/2008 8:52 AM Norminn said the following:
mm wrote:

Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

I called our city about getting rid of propane tanks for gas grill.
Our city has a lot of
recycling programs, but don't take propane tanks. City said that
Walmart and Lowes take empties. Perhaps they
take your smaller ones as well. Or perhaps a welding shop knows what
to do.

Return them to a store that has one of those "Rhino" ( or other brand )
propane replacement cages outside. In my town, they have them at beer
stores, supermarkets, and quick stop stores, among others. Get new
approved OPD full tanks for your old tanks.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

I called our city about getting rid of propane tanks for gas grill.
Our city has a lot of
recycling programs, but don't take propane tanks. City said that
Walmart and Lowes take empties. Perhaps they
take your smaller ones as well. Or perhaps a welding shop knows what
to do.

Return them to a store that has one of those "Rhino" ( or other brand )
propane replacement cages outside. In my town, they have them at beer
stores, supermarkets, and quick stop stores, among others. Get new
approved OPD full tanks for your old tanks.

OP is talking about the disposable small cylinders, like for a soldering
torch, not the refillable big ones for a grill. Like everyone else says,
if they are empty, just trash them.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

I called our city about getting rid of propane tanks for gas grill.
Our city has a lot of
recycling programs, but don't take propane tanks. City said that
Walmart and Lowes take empties. Perhaps they
take your smaller ones as well. Or perhaps a welding shop knows what
to do.

Return them to a store that has one of those "Rhino" ( or other brand )
propane replacement cages outside. In my town, they have them at beer
stores, supermarkets, and quick stop stores, among others. Get new
approved OPD full tanks for your old tanks.

What a great idea! You mean I can take my empty soldering torch
bottles in and they will trade them for propane tanks for a
grill? Sweet! Have you done this yourself?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , aemeijers wrote:

OP is talking about the disposable small cylinders, like for a soldering
torch, not the refillable big ones for a grill. Like everyone else says,
if they are empty, just trash them.

I agree. If the OP is still concerned, he can always call his
local City Hall. They are generally VERY responsive and helpful
when it comes to "How do I properly dispose of..." questions.
In some cities, they might refer you to a utility company but
they're typically just as helpful on these matters.

Every time I've called in one of those questions I have
received instructions that were legal, safe, responsible,
and totally satisfactory to me in terms of cost/convenience.

Most cities and utility companies are pretty darn good at
this stuff.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 1:56*am, mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

I'm not sure why you say "the web is no help".

A Google search returned many hits regarding the disposal of propane
tanks. The vast majority of the hits differentiate the disposal of
tanks larger than 2 pounds vs. the disposable "Coleman" size.

These words, stolen without permission from
http://www.govlink.org/hazwaste/hous...=965&catID=945,
seem to be pretty consistant with what I found at other sites:

Butane and propane tanks

Proper disposal
Empty gas canisters less than two pounds (such as the small Coleman
camping canisters) may be placed in the garbage. Larger canisters, up
to five gallons (barbecue size), either empty or containing gas need
to be taken to one of the household hazardous waste facilities. For
approval of tanks larger than five gallons in (barbecue) size, call
the Household Hazards Line at 206-296-4692 for more information.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Shoot a hole in them and then put them out in the trash. Those guys don't
look at what's in the bags.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 07:44:18 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

These empty Propane tanks differ from an empty hair spray can in what
respect?

I don't think hair spray has a label on it "Dispose of in a safe
place". That's the only thing that made me start thinking about it.
I don't have any hairspray, but I have a can of Scotchguard nearby. It
says Do not puncture or incinerate. Even though the trash truck
could puncture it when it compresses the trash, I think it's designed
so the odds are pretty low. I'm very literal, and it's only the
propane tat says "in a safe place".

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:43:41 -0600, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The trash.

Unless it is a very OLD cylinder, contemporary disposal instructions should be
on a label on the tank.

All it says is "When cylinder is empty, discard in safe place" I
guess I understand why they don't say what a safe place is, because
different places have different rules, but on the surface it sounds
stupid to give no more details than safe. Take it to the police? The
fire department? The bank? A safe deposit box?

It's pretty old. It's BernzOmatic and it's black, but I don't think
that says how old it is. It's model TX-9, but I'll bet that's still
the model number. It's CAS No. 74-98-6 UN-1075

Still, if it is "completely" empty, there is no good
reason to not place it into the general waste stream.

It is virtually inert and of small enough capacity that any remaining gas is
of no concern. It will eventually rust away underground. In a modern
landfill, this would cause NO problem.

Recycling of this type of container is not recommended or allowed (I believe)
due to the possibility of residual gas.

Actually I saw a device somewhere, a hose with connectors at the ends,
that enables one to re"fill" it from the 20 pound tank. I don't know
if this is UL or otherwise approved, and I can't get my head around
whether it would have as much propane inside as a new can would, or
how much less.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:28:40 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Shoot a hole in them and then put them out in the trash.

Now where did I put my gun? The kids must have it. They never put
things back where they're supposed to be.

Those guys don't
look at what's in the bags.

Steve

Thanks for all the answers. This was a better question than I thought
it was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Reuse is better than recycle or discard.

Here's a gizmo that allows you to refill them from a big propane tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 1:28*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Reuse is better than recycle or discard.

Here's a gizmo that allows you to refill them from a big propane tank.

I have one of those.

I found that they do not fill to little tank to anywhere near full.
They always seem to run out a lot faster. So if you don't mind
carrying around ~twice as many as you might otherwise, or refilling
them pretty often, it's an OK device.

The instructions say not to refill any containers showing rust, so
eventually you'll have to dispose of them anyway. Another issue is the
moisture content of the propane which may rust the container from the
inside. This is an older discussion, but it dicusses both the moisture
issue and the transport of refilled containers. Maybe the rules have
changed since it was written...

http://yarchive.net/car/rv/disposable_propane.html

When I go camping, I take my big tank with a T and 2 long hoses - one
for the grill and one for the stove. Saves bucks deluxe over buying
the disposable tanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Reuse is better than recycle or discard.

Here's a gizmo that allows you to refill them from a big propane tank.

Had one, but the problem is that those tanks are built to be disposable.
The gaskets and seals on them are not very good, and you can't refill them
very many times before they leak.

You're driving down the freeway on a camping trip. What's that smell? It
smell like propane................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 1:28 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

This thread has gone round and round before. Bottom line, is that personal
use tanks are not subject to the laws of commercially transported cargo.
And yes, I, too have a hose that lets me hook up to a big tank for my
camping devices, and those last two forevers.

I tried freezing the canisters before filling, made a special rack to hold
the old style tank upside down thinking that it would run liquid in instead
of vapor. And I found that they only filled 1/3 to 1/2 full at best. They
don't work as advertised.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

put doner tank in freezer before refilling, a buddy does that helps
them to fill better.

i have reused some for other uses. left sit for a week with torch
valve open outside. a buddy suggested putting it on a vacuumn pump but
thats overkill if you asked me.

drilled out valve, puped with compressed air they can be handy for
clean ups, like bottled air.

added 2 to a small piston compressor for reserve capacity used for
many years. replaced with a rubber bladder i guess bigger HP
compressor that works better and weighs a fraction of the old one.

dont think in the box, the box isnt your friend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 1:28 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

i know upside don is greater flow, will ask a buddy if heating gently
a full 20 pound tank would get more into a smaller one

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:38:01 -0500, John Gilmer wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
These empty Propane tanks differ from an empty hair spray can in what
respect?

The LPG cans are stronger. If they are heated, the eventual explosion is
likely to be more intense.

Or one could use a wrench and remove the schrader valves. With those
openings it is very doubtful the tank could ever explode.

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Shoot a hole in them and then put them out in the trash.

Now where did I put my gun? The kids must have it. They never put
things back where they're supposed to be.

It does my heart good to see a poster on here with an actual sense of
humor....

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:43:41 -0600, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

Harbor Freight sells 'em. I've had one for years and refill my
Bernz-O-Matic style propane torch bottles from a grille tank using it.

IIRC there was some note that came with it saying something about not
taking refilled bottles across state lines.

I'm careful not to "overfill" those bottles I weighed a "full" newly
purchased one abd don't refill to any more weight than that.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:00:40 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Actually I saw a device somewhere, a hose with connectors at the ends,
that enables one to re"fill" it from the 20 pound tank. I don't know
if this is UL or otherwise approved, and I can't get my head around
whether it would have as much propane inside as a new can would, or
how much less.

Harbor Freight sells 'em. I've had one for years and refill my
Bernz-O-Matic style propane torch bottles from a grille tank using it.

IIRC there was some note that came with it saying something about not
taking refilled bottles across state lines.

I'm careful not to "overfill" those bottles I weighed a "full" newly
purchased one abd don't refill to any more weight than that.

A) Could it fill more than that? If the pressure when new in the small
tank is as much as the pressure in the large on when new (is it?), how
could you fill the small one to any higher pressure (and weight)?

B) Do you have that kind of control? Obviously you think you do, but
I'm surprised unless it fills slowly. I thought there would be no
orifices in the hose, just a full size opening.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:42:40 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

When I go camping, I take my big tank with a T and 2 long hoses - one
for the grill and one for the stove. Saves bucks deluxe over buying
the disposable tanks.

This thread has gone round and round before. Bottom line, is that personal
use tanks are not subject to the laws of commercially transported cargo.
And yes, I, too have a hose that lets me hook up to a big tank for my
camping devices, and those last two forevers.

I tried freezing the canisters before filling, made a special rack to hold

Very clever, even if it didn't work.

I drove over a chrome strip and put a hole in my gas tank. I smelled
it when I got to work, but I thought that was because I worked in a
steel mill. A guy who came up behind me said I had gasoline pouring
out.

A co-worker took me out at lunch and bought an epoxee kit especially
for gas tanks. Hot july day, hardened before I was done. Drove home
anyhow, stopping every 5 or 10 miles to buy another gallon of
gasoline. I think I stopped 5 times, in 25 miles.

Bought another kit and the next morning I put it in the freezer for
10? minutes to give me more time to put it on. The extra time was a
big help and the patch lasted 3 years.

Had the car painted, and it leaked the day I got the car from the
painter. I'm pretty sure because of the vapors there, but the
second patch also failed after 3 years with no paint shop invovled.

the old style tank upside down thinking that it would run liquid in instead
of vapor. And I found that they only filled 1/3 to 1/2 full at best. They
don't work as advertised.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

I tried freezing the canisters before filling, made a special rack to
hold the old style tank upside down thinking that it would run liquid
in instead of vapor. And I found that they only filled 1/3 to 1/2
full at best. They don't work as advertised.

Probably because the little tanks are designed for greater pressure than the
big tanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 1:28 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

I quote from my 16.4 oz Ozark Trail propane container:

5. Never refill this cylinder. Refilling may cause explosion. Federal
law prohibits transportation if refilled - penalty up to $500,000 and
5 years imprisonment. (49 U.S.C 5124)

The cylinder is marked as DOT-39. This website reiterates the
transportation statement noted above:

http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/4...a/wcd00aee.asp

I couldn't find anything that denoted a difference between personal
vs. commercial transport. If you could cite a reference I'd appreciate
it, since there may come a time when I would like to transport a
refilled container.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

i know upside don is greater flow, will ask a buddy if heating gently
a full 20 pound tank would get more into a smaller one

Actually, I used the refiller pre OPD gas tanks. I don't even know if the
ones with OPD would flow any gas out if upside down.

I have seen some LPG devastation, and I'd just as not apply heat to a tank,
thank you.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 1:28 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

I said it, therefore, it must be true. Is there a refilled canister police
agency in your locale that does roadbocks, inspections, or other police work
regarding these little canisters? Can you cite ANY case in which ANYONE
has been cited or arrested or prosecuted?

I thought so.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.
Shoot a hole in them and then put them out in the trash.

Now where did I put my gun? The kids must have it. They never put
things back where they're supposed to be.

It does my heart good to see a poster on here with an actual sense of
humor....

aem sends...

Yes, shooting them is a lot of fun.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 1:28 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

I said it, therefore, it must be true.

No one said it wasn't. I simply asked for a reference.

BTW since "not subject to" and "not enforced" are two very different
things, I'm not sure how the lack of prosecuted cases enters into this
discussion. I'm sure we can all cite instances of illegal activties
that are not prosecuted. Heck, I've been to a concert or two in my day
and we were all subject to certain laws that were broken but not
prosecuted. (But I never inhaled!)

All I'm looking for is something official that says it's legal for me
to transport a refilled 16.4 oz DOT-39 propane tank if it's for
personal use. It wasn't a personal attack.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 1:28 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

I didn't take it personal. Just looking at it realistically, and from the
viewpoint of having been there, done that. If they were truly illegal to be
refilled, they would outlaw the refilling devices available at most Walmarts
and everywhere.

Bottom line is people will do what they want, law or no. Be careful, the
sky is falling out there. It's a jungle. It always is and was, but your
own personal life is all perception as to whether you live it or hide in a
closet.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 1:28 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

Ah, but AFAIK it is not illegal to refill them, so there is no need to
outlaw the device. It's only illegal to transport them after they have
been refilled - but as we both agree, that is not something that is
actively enforced.

I can imagine, albeit remotely, that if damage or injury were caused
by a refilled tank while being transported *and* it could be proved
that the tank was refilled *and* it could be proved that the person
doing the transporting knew that it had been refilled, then the person
doing the transporting could be found liable. The chances of that
happening are slim to none.

Remember - refilling devices don't kill people, people kill people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If the large (grille) tank has been sitting outside in warm weather and
you put the small tank in the kitchen freezer for a while before filling
it, as mentioned in the instructions which came with the HF adaptor,
then there WILL be a pressure difference, at least until the small tank
gets as warm as the large tank.

I'm not saying that I ever actually "overfilled" a small tank that way.
I was just being curious and cautious and decided to weigh the refilled
tanks to be on the safe side. I realize that the Schraeder valve would
open and let gas vent out if the tank was totally filled with liquid and
subjected to a temperature increase, but that's not something I want
happening in my house. G

B) Do you have that kind of control? Obviously you think you do, but
I'm surprised unless it fills slowly. I thought there would be no
orifices in the hose, just a full size opening.

No small orifices, (and no hose either on the refiller I've got) but you
can "crack" the large tank's valve to regulate the liquid flow.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)