Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to buy TRV4 rad valves?

I'm planning on changing the remainder of my (old) rad valves to
Drayton TRV4s. Googling shows up quite a wide range of prices, from
under £12 on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAYTON-TRV4-1...d=p3286.c0.m14

to up to £25 at some plumbing suppliers.

Any recommendations of where to buy from? Are there cheapo imitation
ones out there (eg the EBay ones) that need to be avoided - any
obvious way of spotting them?

I need 6 of them (white, angled, 15mm), so getting a decent price is
moderately important.

Thanks, David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote in message
I'm planning on changing the remainder of my (old) rad valves to
Drayton TRV4s. Googling shows up quite a wide range of prices, from
under £12 on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAYTON-TRV4-1...d=p3286.c0.m14

to up to £25 at some plumbing suppliers.

Any recommendations of where to buy from? Are there cheapo imitation
ones out there (eg the EBay ones) that need to be avoided - any
obvious way of spotting them?

I need 6 of them (white, angled, 15mm), so getting a decent price is
moderately important.

Thanks, David

http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/se...4&fromsearch=1

Didn't know you could get funky chrome ones!

david

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:

I'm planning on changing the remainder of my (old) rad valves to
Drayton TRV4s. Googling shows up quite a wide range of prices, from
under £12 on Ebay,

Any recommendations of where to buy from? Are there cheapo imitation
ones out there (eg the EBay ones) that need to be avoided - any
obvious way of spotting them?

I wouldnt bother with the cheap ones, always go for a good quality one.
I am just decorating a full house, and have taken all of the rads off,
all but one of them is leaking from the thermo valves, some so bad that
I have had to put a stop end on them to stop the leak. The only one not
leaking is a Honeywell.
They are around 5 years old I am told, cant remember the name on them,
but I hadnt heard of them before.
Leaking is not a problem if the rads are connected, but is a real pain
when they are off, and shows the valve is not too good.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
DavidM wrote:

[...]

You have fitted the decorators cap in place of the thermostatic head haven't
you?!?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
DavidM wrote:

Any recommendations of where to buy from? Are there cheapo imitation
ones out there (eg the EBay ones) that need to be avoided - any
obvious way of spotting them?

I wouldnt bother with the cheap ones, always go for a good quality one.
I am just decorating a full house, and have taken all of the rads off,
all but one of them is leaking from the thermo valves, some so bad that
I have had to put a stop end on them to stop the leak. The only one not
leaking is a Honeywell.

You have fitted the decorators cap in place of the thermostatic head haven't
you?!?

No. This is an empty house, just bought by the owners, and it is bare,
so nothing at all to fit.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Toby wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
DavidM wrote:

Any recommendations of where to buy from? Are there cheapo imitation
ones out there (eg the EBay ones) that need to be avoided - any
obvious way of spotting them?

I wouldnt bother with the cheap ones, always go for a good quality one.
I am just decorating a full house, and have taken all of the rads off,
all but one of them is leaking from the thermo valves, some so bad that
I have had to put a stop end on them to stop the leak. The only one not
leaking is a Honeywell.

You have fitted the decorators cap in place of the thermostatic head
haven't
you?!?

No. This is an empty house, just bought by the owners, and it is bare,
so nothing at all to fit.
Alan.

That may be why they are leaking then, as they do usually have frost
protection when they are "off" but it may still let a small amount of water
through because it is not actually off.

There was a case I read about at a plumbing school type place, where, in
there training room, they left a load of radiators off with TRV's in the off
position, but because it was winter, the training room got so cold the TRV's
then opened themselves, as a frost protection, and flooded the room!

The decorators cap stops this happening, as it pushes the pin on the valve
in, and will never let it go!

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Toby wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
DavidM wrote:

Any recommendations of where to buy from? Are there cheapo
imitation ones out there (eg the EBay ones) that need to be
avoided - any obvious way of spotting them?

I wouldnt bother with the cheap ones, always go for a good quality
one. I am just decorating a full house, and have taken all of the
rads off, all but one of them is leaking from the thermo valves,
some so bad that I have had to put a stop end on them to stop the
leak. The only one not leaking is a Honeywell.

You have fitted the decorators cap in place of the thermostatic head
haven't you?!?

No. This is an empty house, just bought by the owners, and it is bare,
so nothing at all to fit.

Try finding the buggers in a house that isn't empty, the owners deny all
knowledge of ever having seen them. I've just changed all my rads to TRY's
and kept the decorators caps in a safe place - I must be the only person in
Medway who knows where theirs are.

Like Alan, I carry stop ends for rads.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
A.Lee wrote:
Toby wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
DavidM wrote:

[...]

Might the OP mean leaking - like onto the floor?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Toby wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
DavidM wrote:

[...]

Sorry - just read the thread again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:
I'm planning on changing the remainder of my (old) rad valves to
Drayton TRV4s. Googling shows up quite a wide range of prices, from
under £12 on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAYTON-TRV4-1...d=p3286.c0.m14

to up to £25 at some plumbing suppliers.

Any recommendations of where to buy from? Are there cheapo imitation
ones out there (eg the EBay ones) that need to be avoided - any
obvious way of spotting them?

I need 6 of them (white, angled, 15mm), so getting a decent price is
moderately important.

Thanks, David

I bought about 12 from Ebay over the last 2 years with no problems,
including a couple of "chrome "ones whose looks I am not too keen on now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Toby wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
DavidM wrote:

[...]

You are probably one of the very few people in Medway (or anywhere else)
that knows what they are.

Like Alan, I carry stop ends for rads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:

I'm planning on changing the remainder of my (old) rad valves to
Drayton TRV4s. Googling shows up quite a wide range of prices, from
under £12 on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAYTON-TRV4-1...d=p3286.c0.m14

to up to £25 at some plumbing suppliers.

Any recommendations of where to buy from? Are there cheapo imitation
ones out there (eg the EBay ones) that need to be avoided - any
obvious way of spotting them?

I need 6 of them (white, angled, 15mm), so getting a decent price is
moderately important.

Thanks, David

There are genuine TRV4's available on Ebay for very much less than high
street prices. I got mine off Ebay - all brand new and at a "Buy it now"
fixed price rather than having to bid - and they are fine.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 19:59:54 +0100, DavidM
wrote:

I'm planning on changing the remainder of my (old) rad valves to
Drayton TRV4s. Googling shows up quite a wide range of prices, from
under £12 on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAYTON-TRV4-1...d=p3286.c0.m14

to up to £25 at some plumbing suppliers.

Any recommendations of where to buy from? Are there cheapo imitation
ones out there (eg the EBay ones) that need to be avoided - any
obvious way of spotting them?

I need 6 of them (white, angled, 15mm), so getting a decent price is
moderately important.

Thanks, David

Thanks to all for the responses. I've now bought off Ebay (buy it now)
at £12.50 each inc postage). Will add comment here when received and
inspected.
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm planning on changing the remainder of my (old) rad valves to
Drayton TRV4s. Googling shows up quite a wide range of prices, from
under £12 on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAYTON-TRV4-1...d=p3286.c0.m14

to up to £25 at some plumbing suppliers.

Any recommendations of where to buy from? Are there cheapo imitation
ones out there (eg the EBay ones) that need to be avoided - any
obvious way of spotting them?

I need 6 of them (white, angled, 15mm), so getting a decent price is
moderately important.

Thanks, David

Thanks to all for the responses. I've now bought off Ebay (buy it now)
at £12.50 each inc postage). Will add comment here when received and
inspected.
David.

OK, well they arrived yesterday, having bought them on Monday evening,
so speedy delivery, and well packaged. All in individual boxes, with
body, valve, rad tail, olives, nuts, and locking cap. All the markings
seems to indicate they are genuine (but so what - I know). So far it
seems a good buy.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250284256709
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:

OK, well they arrived yesterday, having bought them on Monday evening,
so speedy delivery, and well packaged. All in individual boxes, with
body, valve, rad tail, olives, nuts, and locking cap. All the markings
seems to indicate they are genuine (but so what - I know). So far it
seems a good buy.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250284256709
David.

Yes, that's the genuine article.