Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do water softeners work?

There are numerous articles on the web about the ion-exchange side of
things, so I'm fairly clear on that side of the operation. However,
someone in this group once recommended this product, which I'm now
considering buying...
http://www.emwc.co.uk/Details.asp?ProductID=87
It is a dual tank, non-electric softener but I don't understand how it
works! What I mean is, how does it open the valves for the reverse
flushing if it doesn't use electricity? I'm invisiging some clockwork
motor that is 'wound up' by the inflowing water ... am I getting
close? Syphons perhaps???

PS If anyone has any other recommendations then they would be
gratefully received. The 'Monarch Midi' was mentioned to me - any
users of that particular model out there?

Many thanks,
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.....anyone ????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pepper" wrote in message
....anyone ????

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question99.htm ?????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pepper wrote:
....anyone ????

google ion exchange.

They use a resin that exchanges calcium ions for sdoum ions, thus
replacing all te calcium carbonate in the water with sodium carbonate.
Calcium carbonate is only marginally soluble and ends up becoming
scale,, as well as recacting with sodium stearate (soap) to form a
scum..sodium carbonate simply stays soluble, and doesn't react with soap.

Once the resins store of sodium ions is finished, it needs recharging
from a strong salt solution. And the exchanged ions (calcium chloride)
flushed out.

During this time it is normally either bypassed, or softening switches
to a second chamber.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote ....
"google ion exchange."
well, the first line of my post would tend to suggest that that is
exactly what I have already done, however reading on a little you
would find more.

Thanks to dennis and the philosopher for replying, but if you'd read
the post rather than just the title you'd realise that I'd already
found that bit out, and was looking for an answer about non-electric
softeners, (and also any recommendations or otherwise regarding the
Monarch Midi).
Thanks,
Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pepper wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote ....
"google ion exchange."
well, the first line of my post would tend to suggest that that is
exactly what I have already done, however reading on a little you
would find more.

Thanks to dennis and the philosopher for replying, but if you'd read
the post rather than just the title you'd realise that I'd already
found that bit out, and was looking for an answer about non-electric
softeners, (and also any recommendations or otherwise regarding the
Monarch Midi).
Thanks,
Mike

Presumably they use water pressure to switch between cylinders somehow.

however in a power cut, lack of softened water is hardly high on my list
of priorities..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pepper" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote ....
"google ion exchange."
well, the first line of my post would tend to suggest that that is
exactly what I have already done, however reading on a little you
would find more.

Thanks to dennis and the philosopher for replying, but if you'd read
the post rather than just the title you'd realise that I'd already
found that bit out, and was looking for an answer about non-electric
softeners, (and also any recommendations or otherwise regarding the
Monarch Midi).
Thanks,
Mike

The same way water meters work, hydraulic motors.
I didn't think there were electric powered ones. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

however in a power cut, lack of softenedwateris hardly high on my list
of priorities..

nor mine... but installing an extra socket, and the potential (if
small) extra running costs are surely worth considering.

Water Softeners Walter R. Home Repair 24 August 12th 08 04:49 PM
water softeners cj Home Repair 16 March 13th 08 08:12 PM
Water softeners Richard UK diy 1 March 27th 07 11:29 AM
Water softeners JLamm Home Repair 6 January 10th 05 11:38 PM