Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default There's only one powertool..

that hasn't been invented,anyone know what that is?

Maybe I should patent it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...
that hasn't been invented,anyone know what that is?

Maybe I should patent it?

A powered copper pipe cutter that cuts the pipe, removes the burred edges
and the crimped over end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...
that hasn't been invented,anyone know what that is?

Maybe I should patent it?

A powered copper pipe cutter that cuts the pipe, removes the burred edges
and the crimped over end.

Nah! man...I'm talking a power file,some tool with the same actions as the
jigsaw or multitool with an attachent to slot a file in and ease filing a
piece of metal. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

Nah! man...I'm talking a power file,some tool with the same actions as the
jigsaw or multitool with an attachent to slot a file in and ease filing a
piece of metal. ;-)

They do a power file, but it's just a narrow belt sander, about the width of
a file, but due to it being a mini belt sander, it's about an inch thick,

but ok for filing the burrs off metal i guess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gazz" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...

Nah! man...I'm talking a power file,some tool with the same actions as

the
jigsaw or multitool with an attachent to slot a file in and ease filing

piece of metal. ;-)

They do a power file, but it's just a narrow belt sander, about the width

of
a file, but due to it being a mini belt sander, it's about an inch thick,

but ok for filing the burrs off metal i guess.

But useless for filing out round hole. :-)

I've used one of those and it don't half wreck the wood,gave it away to
someone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...
that hasn't been invented,anyone know what that is?

Maybe I should patent it?

A powered copper pipe cutter that cuts the pipe, removes the burred edges
and the crimped over end.

Nah! man...I'm talking a power file,some tool with the same actions as the
jigsaw or multitool with an attachent to slot a file in and ease filing a
piece of metal. ;-)

Power files are available. You should have said "I have an idea to make a
power file".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug, 12:31, "George" wrote:

Nah! man...I'm talking a power file,some tool with the same actions as the
jigsaw or multitool with an attachent to slot a file in and ease filing a
piece of metal. ;-)

Hand held or fixed?

Powered filing machines were around in the Victorian era. They did
literally move a file back and forth (generally downwards), usually
with a small cam action to lift it off on the backstroke.

For hand-held use nowadays, we use belt sanders. These have the
advantage of only moving in one direction. If you don't think much to
them, try swapping your electric one for a pneumatic - it's a world of
difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
that hasn't been invented,anyone know what that is?

An electric drill with the trigger placed so that it's not
impossible to pick it up without setting it off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
jgharston writes
George wrote:
that hasn't been invented,anyone know what that is?

An electric drill with the trigger placed so that it's not
impossible to pick it up without setting it off.

:-)

Can I hi-jack this and ask if anyone knows of an affordable electric
metal nibbler?

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

But useless for filing out round hole. :-)

That would be a bobbin sander then.
Usually bench mounted but I have seen hand held ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:33:12 GMT
"George" wrote:

that hasn't been invented,anyone know what that is?

Maybe I should patent it?

I still think the cordless gutter cleaner is pretty neat. But I think
it needs an IC motor really (for racing).
R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Can I hi-jack this and ask if anyone knows of an affordable electric
metal nibbler?

I have a Hitachi one which cost a fortune secondhand from Ebay - super
tool, though. (I haven't got anywhere to keep a large compressor)
I've never seen them in any shop, though.

--
*With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Can I hi-jack this and ask if anyone knows of an affordable electric
metal nibbler?

I have a Hitachi one which cost a fortune secondhand from Ebay - super
tool, though. (I haven't got anywhere to keep a large compressor)
I've never seen them in any shop, though.

I'll keep looking. B&Q were selling off some *returned* demolition saws
for 30ukp which, rather surprisingly, do cut sheet steel. However,
flying swarf and nasty burred edges detract from the finish.

The job is usually plastic coated roof sheet which has a 35mm box
section and is an absolute pig using tin snips. Angle grinder discs melt
the plastic locally. It would also be nice to cut circles!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

Can I hi-jack this and ask if anyone knows of an affordable electric metal
nibbler?

There are some cheap air powered ones if you have a compressor.

tgoolstation and machinemart are two places I have seen them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .

Can I hi-jack this and ask if anyone knows of an affordable electric
metal nibbler?

There are some cheap air powered ones if you have a compressor.

tgoolstation and machinemart are two places I have seen them.

Yes. They are fine. The problem tends to be found working on a roof well
away from a convenient source of compressed air. I sometimes stick the
workshop compressor on a pallet but was looking for a more convenient
solution.

Tek drivers, electric nibblers etc. seem to be outside the bulk market
where price competition works:-(

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Can I hi-jack this and ask if anyone knows of an affordable electric
metal nibbler?

I have a Hitachi one which cost a fortune secondhand from Ebay - super
tool, though. (I haven't got anywhere to keep a large compressor)
I've never seen them in any shop, though.

I'll keep looking. B&Q were selling off some *returned* demolition saws
for 30ukp which, rather surprisingly, do cut sheet steel. However,
flying swarf and nasty burred edges detract from the finish.

The job is usually plastic coated roof sheet which has a 35mm box
section and is an absolute pig using tin snips. Angle grinder discs melt
the plastic locally. It would also be nice to cut circles!

Might be a problem - the box section. The electric nibbler would cut up to
it and stop about 1/2" away. To use it in the middle of a panel etc
requires about a 1" hole to get the jaws in.

--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

Can I hi-jack this and ask if anyone knows of an affordable electric
metal nibbler?

There are some cheap air powered ones if you have a compressor.

This applies to lots of power tools. But the compressor needed means they
ain't portable in the true sense. I don't have a garage so a compressor
isn't really on.

tgoolstation and machinemart are two places I have seen them.

You can also buy ones which fit an electric drill - but like all such
accessories ain't as good as a pukka one.

--
*The statement above is false

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

Can I hi-jack this and ask if anyone knows of an affordable electric
metal nibbler?

There are some cheap air powered ones if you have a compressor.

This applies to lots of power tools. But the compressor needed means they
ain't portable in the true sense. I don't have a garage so a compressor
isn't really on.

tgoolstation and machinemart are two places I have seen them.

You can also buy ones which fit an electric drill - but like all such
accessories ain't as good as a pukka one.

Doesn't matter anyway as it appears its for cutting profiles which will be
quite difficult with a nibbler.
The down bit will probably be OK but I don't see how its going to work on
the up bits.

I just use a hand saw to cut box sections, much quicker.

I have a B&Q demolition saw that I paid £15 for that works well if I get
tired and can be bothered to get it out, it makes cheap jigsaws look like
precision tools though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
I have a B&Q demolition saw that I paid £15 for that works well if I get
tired and can be bothered to get it out, it makes cheap jigsaws look
like precision tools though.

Think any such reciprocal saw is going to be pretty inaccurate due to
flexing.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George wrote:
that hasn't been invented,anyone know what that is?

Maybe I should patent it?

A drill sharpener that doesn't need skill to use. And does smallish ones.

--
*Don't squat with your spurs on *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Can I hi-jack this and ask if anyone knows of an affordable electric
metal nibbler?

I have a Hitachi one which cost a fortune secondhand from Ebay - super
tool, though. (I haven't got anywhere to keep a large compressor)
I've never seen them in any shop, though.

I'll keep looking. B&Q were selling off some *returned* demolition saws
for 30ukp which, rather surprisingly, do cut sheet steel. However,
flying swarf and nasty burred edges detract from the finish.

The job is usually plastic coated roof sheet which has a 35mm box
section and is an absolute pig using tin snips. Angle grinder discs melt
the plastic locally. It would also be nice to cut circles!

I have a cheapo reciprocating saw (ebay "refurbished", probably NuTool
or similar), and it worked a treat on composite (steel/foam/steel)
panels, and would have been OK on composite roofing sheets if the blade
had been half an inch longer or the insulation a bit thinner. The
finish using a Hitachi 24tpi blade was fine. For plain box section
roofing sheets I used an air nibbler, set such that it cut at right
angles to the tool body. It coped OK with the humps and valleys. An
angle grinder with composite panels raises too many interesting
questions about decomposition products of the foam insulation.

I've not tried the reciprocating saw on plain box section roofing
sheets: if I do, I'll probably rest the foot of the tool on a strip of
ply, and cut from the wide valley side, rather than let it try to follow
the profile.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****