Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default name of flooring?

Just noticed my back door has been leaking and the floor has started to rot.
I'm looking to get the same type of floor board but don't know its name.
The boards (8x4 feet) just butt together (no tongue and groove) and looks
like its thousands of bits of wood all squashed together?
Its not chipboard, and they have been down for around 20 odd years (in the
extension).

Incidentally would chipboard be better to use now if I can get some the same
depth?

Cheers

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
Just noticed my back door has been leaking and the floor has started to
rot.
I'm looking to get the same type of floor board but don't know its name.
The boards (8x4 feet) just butt together (no tongue and groove) and looks
like its thousands of bits of wood all squashed together?

Probably Sterling Board

http://www.design-technology.org/sterlingboard.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:
"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
Just noticed my back door has been leaking and the floor has started to
rot.
I'm looking to get the same type of floor board but don't know its name.
The boards (8x4 feet) just butt together (no tongue and groove) and looks
like its thousands of bits of wood all squashed together?

Probably Sterling Board

http://www.design-technology.org/sterlingboard.htm

I though that was low quality stuff not intended for use in construction
per se, other than temporary boarding-up windows etc?

Not that this means it hasn't been used for the OP's floor, but it
doesn't sound a good reason to go out and buy more of the same.
Flooring-grade chipboard sounds a better bet to me, as somebody else said.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:55:36 +0100, OG wrote:

Probably Sterling Board

Also know as Oriented Strand Board (OSB)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriented_strand_board

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:49:23 +0100, Steven Campbell wrote:

Just noticed my back door has been leaking and the floor has started to rot.
I'm looking to get the same type of floor board but don't know its name.
The boards (8x4 feet) just butt together (no tongue and groove) and looks
like its thousands of bits of wood all squashed together?
Its not chipboard, and they have been down for around 20 odd years (in the
extension).

Incidentally would chipboard be better to use now if I can get some the same
depth?

Yes, modern chipboard flooring should be a pale green colour and is
moisture resistant.

--
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:
Just noticed my back door has been leaking and the floor has started
to rot. I'm looking to get the same type of floor board but don't
know its name. The boards (8x4 feet) just butt together (no tongue
and groove) and looks like its thousands of bits of wood all squashed
together? Its not chipboard, and they have been down for around 20 odd
years
(in the extension).

OSB?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 11:49*pm, "Steven Campbell" wrote:
Just noticed my back door has been leaking and the floor has started to rot.
I'm looking to get the same type of floor board but don't know its name.
The boards (8x4 feet) just butt together (no tongue and groove) and looks
like its thousands of bits of wood all squashed together?
Its not chipboard, and they have been down for around 20 odd years (in the
extension).

Incidentally would chipboard be better to use now if I can get some the same
depth?

Cheers

Steven.

You can use any of the sheet timber products as flooring, though some
have better resistance to certain problems than others.

It sounds like OSB, but if you take a trip to wickes etc you'll see
them all, and should spot what you've got.

The one product I'd avoid is 8x4 chipoard, this stuff is not water
resistant, and will die very quiclly if it gets wet. Green flooring
chip is more resilient, but wont fit without trimming. Chip is
cheapest, but if the floor's visible I'd go with more of whatever
you've got. OSB is a bit overspecified and thus overpriced for
flooring, but for one sheet its no big deal.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

*************

Thanks all.

Yes it looks like OSB. I'm only replacing one board so will just change like
for like.
The same stuff has been fitted in my kitchen (laid around 20 years ago) and
a lot of the boards have started to lift at the edges. I suspect the boards
have swollen slightly. These will be replaced with a better alternative.

Back to the OSB board I'm about to buy and lay in the bathroom, is there a
good way to seal it first?

Cheers

flooring [email protected] UK diy 1 April 13th 07 05:29 PM
Flooring [email protected] UK diy 0 April 13th 07 09:08 AM
Flooring [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 12th 07 01:18 PM
Natura engineered wooden flooring from Flooring Supplies - any experiences? Mark Walters UK diy 3 February 15th 05 09:24 PM
New Kitchen: Flooring b4 units or units b4 flooring? Vortex UK diy 8 November 7th 03 07:00 PM