Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default condensing boilers: mandatory?

Hello,

Are condensing boilers mandatory? If so, why are non-condensing models
still in the brochures? As you may know from my recent posts, my
boiler died and I am confused. Some plumbers have visited and quoted
for fitting condensing boilers and some have quoted for fitting
non-condensing. I thought all new boilers had to be efficient. What
are the exact regs. and what is the definition of "efficient"?

Running a condensate drain should be trivial but I think I may need a
new flue liner (see other post) of I go condensing, which adds much to
the cost. I think the other plumbers were trying to save my money (or
their time!) by fitting a non-condensing boiler to the existing flue.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

AIUI not mandatory, however to meet the (naive*) efficiency threshold
they are practically the only way to go.

*(takes no accouint of energy used in manufacture, shorter life cycle
etc)

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

Are condensing boilers mandatory? If so, why are non-condensing models
still in the brochures?

Essentially mandatory yes, but there are exceptions made for certain
circumstances where for one reason or another it wouldn't be feasible to
replace an existing non-condensing boiler with a condensing model.
Pretty rare AIUI; normally relating to nuisance value of the visible
plume emerging from the flue and/or arrangements for disposal of the
condensate?

There is (or was) a flow chart on one of the govt sites explaining how
to assess it.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:50:19 +0000, Stephen wrote:

Hello,

Are condensing boilers mandatory? If so, why are non-condensing models
still in the brochures? As you may know from my recent posts, my boiler
died and I am confused. Some plumbers have visited and quoted for
fitting condensing boilers and some have quoted for fitting
non-condensing. I thought all new boilers had to be efficient. What are
the exact regs. and what is the definition of "efficient"?

Running a condensate drain should be trivial but I think I may need a
new flue liner (see other post) of I go condensing, which adds much to
the cost. I think the other plumbers were trying to save my money (or
their time!) by fitting a non-condensing boiler to the existing flue.

Thanks,
Stephen.

The straight-forward procedure is difficult to collect enough 'points' to
gain exemption.

More or less you would have to be replacing a gas back boiler in a flat or
terraced house.

In exceptional circumstances you would have to plead your case withthe
local building control officer. You explain that the only way you fit a
condensing boiler will require so much more expenditure (you are looking
at probably at needing to spend an extra £1500+).

The alternative approach is to disregard the law which has a smallish
possibility of huge losses. It is perhaps to this market that the
brochures still offer non-condensing models.

It might also be possible to install a non-condensing unit some type of
commercial premises - but I'd have to check that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

Are condensing boilers mandatory? If so, why are non-condensing models
still in the brochures? As you may know from my recent posts, my
boiler died and I am confused. Some plumbers have visited and quoted
for fitting condensing boilers and some have quoted for fitting
non-condensing. I thought all new boilers had to be efficient. What
are the exact regs. and what is the definition of "efficient"?

Running a condensate drain should be trivial but I think I may need a
new flue liner (see other post) of I go condensing, which adds much to
the cost. I think the other plumbers were trying to save my money (or
their time!) by fitting a non-condensing boiler to the existing flue.

My mate had a non-condensing back boiler fitted sometime last year. An old
1974 Baxi back bolier replaced with a new Baxi back bolier. Fitter ticked
boxes and said "yip you are OK for replacement non-condensing boiler".

Issues we-

- No possible condensate drain as in middle of house.
- No possibility of flue to front or back of house.
- Not possible to fit a boiler say in kitchen as kitchen too small (only 3
cupboards) and all pipework at other end of house.

Cost about 2K I think and works fines for him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian_m" wrote in message
"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

There are condensate pumps.

- No possibility of flue to front or back of house.

Through the roof - boiler in loft.

Condensing Boilers Endulini UK diy 8 May 18th 08 09:37 PM
Condensing boilers Timothy Murphy UK diy 70 October 4th 05 09:40 PM
About Condensing Boilers ... Gordon Henderson UK diy 16 February 8th 05 06:43 PM
Best Condensing boilers Boovee UK diy 50 February 1st 05 02:49 PM
condensing boilers cost lot more than condensing force-air furnaces? R. Kalia Home Repair 12 January 14th 04 12:55 PM