Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Universal replacement seals for chest freezer doors?

Having been told that my mum's Kelvinator freezer is considered obsolete
(just because it's still got mammoth steaks somewhere near the bottom of
it :-)) I've been looking for some sort of universal replacement.
Surprisingly I can't find one among CPC and a couple of appliance spares
places I've tried. Any clues? Can't be that much rocket science to make,
surely. Or any suggestions for where to get suitable material to DIY? Just
needs to be about 25mm wide, about 10mm thick, resilient down to below
freezing and non-absorbent. Probably a bit too big for draught excluder
material.

--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Stumbles contains these words:

Having been told that my mum's Kelvinator freezer is considered obsolete
(just because it's still got mammoth steaks somewhere near the bottom of
it :-)) I've been looking for some sort of universal replacement.
Surprisingly I can't find one among CPC and a couple of appliance spares
places I've tried. Any clues? Can't be that much rocket science to make,
surely. Or any suggestions for where to get suitable material to DIY? Just
needs to be about 25mm wide, about 10mm thick, resilient down to below
freezing and non-absorbent. Probably a bit too big for draught excluder
material.

There was a bloke on here some years ago who claimed to be able to
provide new seals for just about any chest freezer. Unfortunately it
turned out that he couldn't provide one for my Electrolux which has a
seal integral with the lid. Several (many perhaps) years latter and I
still haven't done anything about it but ISTR that there were some
suggestions made in this ng about how to fix it. Unfortunately I can't
recall the slightest detail but a google might bring that thread to
light.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
Having been told that my mum's Kelvinator freezer is considered obsolete
(just because it's still got mammoth steaks somewhere near the bottom of
it :-)) I've been looking for some sort of universal replacement.
Surprisingly I can't find one among CPC and a couple of appliance spares

Do try phoning CPC. Most of their white goods spares are not online,
and even when you do know the order code, they're no longer orderable
online, only by phone.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:51:27 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Do try phoning CPC. Most of their white goods spares are not online,
and even when you do know the order code, they're no longer orderable
online, only by phone.

I did phone them :-(

--
John Stumbles

Extreme moderate
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:48:40 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

Having been told that my mum's Kelvinator freezer is considered obsolete
(just because it's still got mammoth steaks somewhere near the bottom of
it :-)) I've been looking for some sort of universal replacement.
Surprisingly I can't find one among CPC and a couple of appliance spares
places I've tried. Any clues? Can't be that much rocket science to make,
surely. Or any suggestions for where to get suitable material to DIY? Just
needs to be about 25mm wide, about 10mm thick, resilient down to below
freezing and non-absorbent. Probably a bit too big for draught excluder
material.

You can buy replacement door seals for a handfull of more modern ones
here and cut a length out to replace just say the bottom. But it's
certainly not cheap given a full size fridge or freezer starts at
about £100.

http://shop.ezee-fix.co.uk/

It's likely an old Kelvinator will be using a lot of energy (certainly
will with a bad door seal) maybe time for a new one.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:48:40 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

Having been told that my mum's Kelvinator freezer is considered obsolete
(just because it's still got mammoth steaks somewhere near the bottom of
it :-)) I've been looking for some sort of universal replacement.
Surprisingly I can't find one among CPC and a couple of appliance spares
places I've tried. Any clues? Can't be that much rocket science to make,
surely. Or any suggestions for where to get suitable material to DIY?
Just needs to be about 25mm wide, about 10mm thick, resilient down to
below freezing and non-absorbent. Probably a bit too big for draught
excluder material.

CPC used to do this product, it included some corner reinforcement inserts.

I have had sucess /repairing/ a door seal using a multi-resin sealant like
CT101 (FT101 from screwfix). The cat had torn the seal to strips just for
the hell of it. I put polythene on the freezer side of the seal and
injected the sealant into and around the fragments of seal and left the
door closed for a few hours. Works a treat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 13, 10:29*pm, Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

The FAQ for uk.diy is athttp://www.diyfaq.org.uk
Gas fitting FAQ *http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html
Sealed CH FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html
Choosing a Boiler FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

same but fairy liquid instead of polyethene