Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default is there any alternative to sanding down paintwork?

I need to repaint some internal doors in my flat - the present coat is
a rather dull gloss, so it might be 'satin finish'.

Every paint tin 've read recommends that I sand down the paintwork
before repainting. The problem is, I have severe asthma, and I'm very
worried about the dust - both while I'm working, and afterwards when
I'm living in the room concerned. Even sanders that boast 'micro
filtration' only seem to guarantee to catch 80% of the dust.

I know this is a long-shot, but is there any alternative? A chemical
you can brush on, for instance?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I need to repaint some internal doors in my flat - the present coat is
a rather dull gloss, so it might be 'satin finish'.

Every paint tin 've read recommends that I sand down the paintwork
before repainting. The problem is, I have severe asthma, and I'm very
worried about the dust - both while I'm working, and afterwards when
I'm living in the room concerned. Even sanders that boast 'micro
filtration' only seem to guarantee to catch 80% of the dust.

I know this is a long-shot, but is there any alternative? A chemical
you can brush on, for instance?

Thanks in advance.

If you think the previous layered paint on the doors is decent? then there
is no reason to sand down the doors to apply another coat of paint.
Just wipe the doors down with white spirits to eliminate any grease or dirt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"George" wrote in message
om...

wrote in message
I need to repaint some internal doors in my flat - the present coat is
a rather dull gloss, so it might be 'satin finish'.

Every paint tin 've read recommends that I sand down the paintwork
before repainting. The problem is, I have severe asthma, and I'm very
worried about the dust - both while I'm working, and afterwards when
I'm living in the room concerned. Even sanders that boast 'micro
filtration' only seem to guarantee to catch 80% of the dust.

I know this is a long-shot, but is there any alternative? A chemical
you can brush on, for instance?

Thanks in advance.

If you think the previous layered paint on the doors is decent? then there
is no reason to sand down the doors to apply another coat of paint.
Just wipe the doors down with white spirits to eliminate any grease or
dirt.

I've sometimes used a very dilute paint mix in white spirit which gives a
tacky key for the top coat. I can't say what difference it makes, but it
doesn't seem to do any harm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

I have similar problems with dust and use this a lot with good results.

http://www.international-paints.co.u...1&surfaceid=53

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rrh" wrote in message
I have similar problems with dust and use this a lot with good results.

http://www.international-paints.co.u...1&surfaceid=53

I agree that taking the door off and outside is best - take care if it is
hardboard in case the hardboard gets wet at the edges.

Not convinced about the liquid stuff as I feel there are always some surface
blips that need to be smoothed down.

Lay the door flat to paint it - you can then do the top and bottom better -
and won't get runs.

Preparing peeling paintwork - advice? Michael Rozdoba UK diy 21 May 12th 07 07:17 PM
Polishing bloom out of car paintwork Drake UK diy 27 October 7th 06 10:12 PM
stripping OLD paintwork didds UK diy 10 November 19th 05 08:58 PM
Exterior paintwork Dan Welch UK diy 5 October 23rd 03 09:54 PM
Blobby paintwork Chris UK diy 4 September 10th 03 02:09 PM