Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default is there any alternative to sanding down paintwork?

"George" wrote in message
om...

wrote in message
I need to repaint some internal doors in my flat - the present coat is
a rather dull gloss, so it might be 'satin finish'.

Every paint tin 've read recommends that I sand down the paintwork
before repainting. The problem is, I have severe asthma, and I'm very
worried about the dust - both while I'm working, and afterwards when
I'm living in the room concerned. Even sanders that boast 'micro
filtration' only seem to guarantee to catch 80% of the dust.

I know this is a long-shot, but is there any alternative? A chemical
you can brush on, for instance?

Thanks in advance.

If you think the previous layered paint on the doors is decent? then there
is no reason to sand down the doors to apply another coat of paint.
Just wipe the doors down with white spirits to eliminate any grease or
dirt.

I've sometimes used a very dilute paint mix in white spirit which gives a
tacky key for the top coat. I can't say what difference it makes, but it
doesn't seem to do any harm.