Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default new internal doors + fitting

does anyone know the cost of buying and having new internal doors
fitted?

also any difference in going for the pine style ones or white ones
(already primed??)

i'm thinking of the 6 panel ones. i think i need 5/6 for the whole
place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:

does anyone know the cost of buying and having new internal doors
fitted?

also any difference in going for the pine style ones or white ones
(already primed??)

i'm thinking of the 6 panel ones. i think i need 5/6 for the whole
place.

Doors from £15 to £35.
Hinges, handles and latch - £7 to £25
Fitting, £30 - £50 each, maybe less for all 6 at the same time - I'd
charge £100 labour for that.

So the cheapest would be around £250, but more likely to be £300 - £350.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks Alan, that would be a good price, it would make a big
difference. Probably one of the last jobs I do I'd guess in about a
month. Thanks for the prices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--

I just had a local company supply and fit 8 internal 6 panel doors for £380.
Excellent job they did too. The only problem was having to paint them all

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
benpost wrote:

does anyone know the cost of buying and having new internal doors
fitted?

also any difference in going for the pine style ones or white ones
(already primed??)

i'm thinking of the 6 panel ones. i think i need 5/6 for the whole
place.

Doors from £15 to £35.
Hinges, handles and latch - £7 to £25
Fitting, £30 - £50 each, maybe less for all 6 at the same time - I'd
charge £100 labour for that.

£100 to hang 6 doors? How long would it take you - I reckon its over a days
work.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TLodge wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message
benpost wrote:

[...]

Four hours to hang 8 doors? Did he wear his underpants over his trousers?

You are having a giraffe.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
benpost wrote:

does anyone know the cost of buying and having new internal doors
fitted?

Doors from £15 to £35.
Hinges, handles and latch - £7 to £25
Fitting, £30 - £50 each, maybe less for all 6 at the same time - I'd
charge £100 labour for that.

£100 to hang 6 doors? How long would it take you - I reckon its over a days
work.

Internals, with basic latch, not much over a hour each.
Unless the house is really old, then internals seem to fit a lot better
than external doors IME, so less time spent planing the sides, less time
chiselling out the mortices, so it isnt a particulalry long job.
Externals nearly always take me 3 hours to fit, I havent had one yet
that needed at least 3 sides trimming.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
does anyone know the cost of buying and having new internal doors
fitted?

also any difference in going for the pine style ones or white ones
(already primed??)

i'm thinking of the 6 panel ones. i think i need 5/6 for the whole
place.

Don't buy the preformed panel hollow ones from sheds. They are crap anyway
and the sheds break them for good measure.

I now buy mine from www.directdoors.com and buy the 3 panel clear pine and
paint them. Solid doors are incomparably better. The delivery is better for,
say 6 at a time.

No connection with company but latest order arrives Thursday morning (as it
happens). They also have a good range of sizes

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"benpost" wrote in message
does anyone know the cost of buying and having new internal doors
fitted?

also any difference in going for the pine style ones or white ones
(already primed??)

i'm thinking of the 6 panel ones. i think i need 5/6 for the whole
place.

Don't buy the preformed panel hollow ones from sheds. They are crap anyway
and the sheds break them for good measure.

I now buy mine from www.directdoors.com and buy the 3 panel clear pine and
paint them. Solid doors are incomparably better. The delivery is better
for, say 6 at a time.

Their delivery is now free apparently!

S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Barrie" wrote in message
et...

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"benpost" wrote in message
does anyone know the cost of buying and having new internal doors
fitted?

also any difference in going for the pine style ones or white ones
(already primed??)

i'm thinking of the 6 panel ones. i think i need 5/6 for the whole
place.

Don't buy the preformed panel hollow ones from sheds. They are crap
anyway and the sheds break them for good measure.

I now buy mine from www.directdoors.com and buy the 3 panel clear pine
and paint them. Solid doors are incomparably better. The delivery is
better for, say 6 at a time.

Their delivery is now free apparently!

Yes - I just noticed that. Checked my current order and delivery was free.
Back in April I paid £20. Even better!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Had a quick look in b and q and noticed the internal doors in knotted
pine for £25 each. I actually thought the knotted ones looked better
than the clear ones, plus they are quite a bit cheaper.

With pine doors what kind of finish is recommended? What's the easiest
way to protect the wood?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"benpost" wrote in message
"Had a quick look in b and q and noticed the internal doors in knotted
pine for £25 each. I actually thought the knotted ones looked better
than the clear ones, plus they are quite a bit cheaper.

With pine doors what kind of finish is recommended? What's the easiest
way to protect the wood?"

Hi,

First of all have a look in Wickes as they may be cheaper, they certainly
were when i changed some doors about 18 months ago.

I have glossed and used varnish on interior doors and i have found it much
easier to apply a varnish or woodstain, with gloss it can be messy and you
will usually need a primer or if no undercoat is required 2 coats of gloss
to give a half decent finish . Woodstain is simple and quick, apply using a
brush or with some brands i think you can just wipe it on, it dries quickly
too.

Hope this helps

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cheers Tom, sounds like woodstain would be the easier and time saving
option. thinking about it, I think i prefer the idea of wood doors
rather than white painted ones. Would you go for clear pine or
knotted? I thought knotted looked better but does this mean more work??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
Cheers Tom, sounds like woodstain would be the easier and time saving
option. thinking about it, I think i prefer the idea of wood doors
rather than white painted ones. Would you go for clear pine or
knotted? I thought knotted looked better but does this mean more work??

You should use clear knotting compound on the knots first to prevent resin
bleed through.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"benpost" wrote in message
Cheers Tom, sounds like woodstain would be the easier and time saving
option. thinking about it, I think i prefer the idea of wood doors
rather than white painted ones. Would you go for clear pine or
knotted? I thought knotted looked better but does this mean more work??

Our doors have some knots in them, i did not use any knot treatment solution
and they still seem fine. If i recall we just used ronseal woodstain.

Internal doors John UK diy 12 April 11th 08 07:33 PM
Internal Doors Dave UK diy 8 February 17th 08 10:23 PM
Internal Doors David UK diy 16 June 2nd 06 11:11 AM
Internal doors [email protected] UK diy 3 February 2nd 06 08:02 PM
fitting a new internal window ledge the yorkshire dalesman UK diy 11 April 14th 04 07:53 PM