Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internal doors

A friend has wood grain panel doors (70's / 80's style) and wants to update
as they are looking a bit dark. Replacing 10 doors is a bit beyond our
toolkit and energy levels and I wondered if you had any suggestions:

1. Any ideas on updating the appearance of these doors (fitted in the
millions).

2. Fair rate from a joiner to fit new internal doors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2008 13:42, John wrote:

A friend has wood grain panel doors (70's / 80's style) and wants to update
as they are looking a bit dark.

Mine looked a bit "orangey", sanded the varnish down and they painted up
fine, they were hung on pin hinges so that made the job a touch easier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
A friend has wood grain panel doors (70's / 80's style) and wants to

update
as they are looking a bit dark. Replacing 10 doors is a bit beyond our
toolkit and energy levels and I wondered if you had any suggestions:

1. Any ideas on updating the appearance of these doors (fitted in the
millions).

2. Fair rate from a joiner to fit new internal doors.

I charge £40 to hang a door incl.fitting the lock etc.
Prob £35 given one job of 10 doors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:
"John" wrote in message
A friend has wood grain panel doors (70's / 80's style) and wants to
update as they are looking a bit dark. Replacing 10 doors is a bit
beyond our toolkit and energy levels and I wondered if you had any
suggestions:

1. Any ideas on updating the appearance of these doors (fitted in the
millions).

2. Fair rate from a joiner to fit new internal doors.

I charge £40 to hang a door incl.fitting the lock etc.
Prob £35 given one job of 10 doors.

How long does it take you to hang a door if you don't mind me asking? I
gave up on it as a bad job, couldn't earn any money at it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Apr, 16:09, "Peter" wrote:
"John" wrote in message

A friend has wood grain panel doors (70's / 80's style) and wants to

update
as they are looking a bit dark. Replacing 10 doors is a bit beyond our
toolkit and energy levels and I wondered if you had any suggestions:

1. Any ideas on updating the appearance of these doors (fitted in the
millions).

2. Fair rate from a joiner to fit new internal doors.

I charge £40 to hang a door incl.fitting the *lock etc.
Prob £35 given one job of 10 doors.

thats not bad, lots I have seen charge £70. I do my own (and other
people's now they know I can do them!) I find it even easier if you
have an old door to take off and use as a template! good electric
plane makes the job easier too :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Apr, 13:42, "John" wrote:
A friend has wood grain panel doors (70's / 80's style) and wants to update
as they are looking a bit dark. Replacing 10 doors is a bit beyond our
toolkit and energy levels and I wondered if you had any suggestions:

1. Any ideas on updating the appearance of these doors (fitted in the
millions).

2. Fair rate from a joiner to fit new internal doors.

What do you mean by "updating"? What do you want them to look like?

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..

Peter wrote:
"John" wrote in message
A friend has wood grain panel doors (70's / 80's style) and wants to
update as they are looking a bit dark. Replacing 10 doors is a bit
beyond our toolkit and energy levels and I wondered if you had any
suggestions:

1. Any ideas on updating the appearance of these doors (fitted in the
millions).

2. Fair rate from a joiner to fit new internal doors.

I charge £40 to hang a door incl.fitting the lock etc.
Prob £35 given one job of 10 doors.

How long does it take you to hang a door if you don't mind me asking? I
gave up on it as a bad job, couldn't earn any money at it.

For internal doors.. 5 a day (long day).. As the other message suggests, an
old door as a template (however badly fitted) saves lots of time. About 1hr
per door to hang then fit all locks/handles at the same time.

Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default oops .... sorry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

For internal doors.. 5 a day (long day).. As the other message suggests, an
old door as a template (however badly fitted) saves lots of time. About 1hr
per door to hang then fit all locks/handles at the same time.

Hanging new doors is one of those jobs that needs to be perfect. When
people say they've hung their own, I'm usually tempted to say that it
looks that way as well, but I'm too polite.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

..

What do you mean by "updating"? What do you want them to look like?

Regards
Richard

Dunno - looking for options. They have discoloured a bit and are too dar for
current taste.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Apr, 19:23, "John" wrote:
.

What do you mean by "updating"? What do you want them to look like?

Regards
Richard

Dunno - looking for options. They have discoloured a bit and are too dar for
current taste.

I'd replace them meself. I hung a door for the first time the other
week - I had a hollow door coming out and used that as a template for
the hinge rebates - other than having to slice a bit off the sides of
the new door (actually an old Victorian door), it had no hassle with
it at all. eBay is a goodplace for cheap interesting doors.

Regards
Richard

Internal Doors Dave UK diy 8 February 17th 08 10:23 PM
Painting internal doors mjb UK diy 11 October 26th 07 03:42 PM
internal doors Thomarse UK diy 5 June 14th 07 07:40 PM
Internal Doors David UK diy 16 June 2nd 06 11:11 AM
Internal doors [email protected] UK diy 3 February 2nd 06 08:02 PM