Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default painting, walls and wood

i had painted my walls , then it came to the skirting and archetrays
and for some reason i decided not to mask, or not even to take my time
and cut in properly. so i painted over the emulsion wall paint with
the wood paint (water based), now i'm going to have to paint emulsion
again and cut it in. my question is can i just paint straight over
the wood paint or should i sand down again. the wood/metal (dulux
quick drying water based-satinwood) paint seems slightly shiny. i know
the say you shouldnt paint emulsion over gloss (oil based) paint but
will i be ok as i've used water based?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am not encouraging anyone to lash the woodwork with emulsion but
what you have done, if I understand correctly, is exactly what I would
do.
Paint the walls, don't worry about cutting in.
Paint the woodwork, dont worry about cutting in.
Finally, cut in around the woodwork with the wall paint.

Of course you can only do this with matt emulsion wall paint because
you will be able to see any touching up or cutting in with satin
emulsion. I do this even when using gloss paint on the woodwork.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

hi yeah this is what i've done and i currently have the white
satinwood paint on top of the matt wall emulsion. so i now can just
cut in around the woodwork? it just seemed to me like it would have
been easier if i had masked the wall around the edges of the wood?

Paint the walls, don't worry about cutting in.
Paint the woodwork, dont worry about cutting in.
Finally, cut in around the woodwork with the wall paint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:
hi yeah this is what i've done and i currently have the white
satinwood paint on top of the matt wall emulsion. so i now can just
cut in around the woodwork? it just seemed to me like it would have
been easier if i had masked the wall around the edges of the wood?

Unless the emulsion was completely dry you might have removed some of it
when you peeled the tape off, even using the low tack stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks, i just thought maybe i'd done it wrong because it didnt seem
right painting emulsion on top of satinwood (due to the satinwood
paint being kind of thicker and shinier)

anyway i'm sure i wont even notice later on so will just cut the
emulsion in against the skirting/architray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

have a feeling this water based satinwood dulux isnt all that great.
seems ok on wood, but on metal it doesnt apply very well. it seems
like i'm going to need about 10 coats to hide the bare metal areas
unless i put on loads of paint which would probably result in drips
(which i hate).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug, 16:57, benpost wrote:
have a feeling this water based satinwood dulux isnt all that great.
seems ok on wood, but on metal it doesnt apply very well. it seems
like i'm going to need about 10 coats to hide the bare metal areas
unless i put on loads of paint which would probably result in drips
(which i hate).

Are you sure it is the right product for bare metal?
I think you should be priming/undercoating with something else and
just using the satinwood to finish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rednadnerb wrote:
On 19 Aug, 16:57, benpost wrote:
have a feeling this water based satinwood dulux isnt all that great.
seems ok on wood, but on metal it doesnt apply very well. it seems
like i'm going to need about 10 coats to hide the bare metal areas
unless i put on loads of paint which would probably result in drips
(which i hate).

Are you sure it is the right product for bare metal?
I think you should be priming/undercoating with something else and
just using the satinwood to finish.

yes, there's a water based primer/undercoat for metal

Painting Concrete Walls [email protected] Woodworking 12 January 17th 07 07:38 PM
Painting Walls Andrew UK diy 4 September 12th 05 10:30 PM
painting plaster walls sam UK diy 2 December 21st 04 11:59 PM
Painting outside walls-Help? - UK diy 11 October 24th 03 09:12 PM
Painting walls. Help Charles Holder UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 06:49 AM