Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Basic spraying advice needed please.

Hi All,

I am finding I need to paint the odd bits and bobs and am looking for
a mini solution to this.

e.g. A current requirement is to paint some Weller steel wheels that
have been shot blasted and zinc coated and because all I need is a
simple and durable solution (I'm not too bothered about finish as
such) I was considering using a Hammerite (not sure if the wheels are
even up to smooth Hammerite). I understand I need to use their
'Special metals primer' and that only comes in tins (not aerosol). (I
know the aerosols aren't cheap but if you consider the time / setup /
cleaning etc of guns and other kit the cans can work out quicker and
cheaper for some jobs).

So, I've got one of the little Bambi silent compressors (like this)
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-B...ssor-21502.htm

and one of the slightly bigger jobbies that sits on it's small
cylinder sideways, 7cfm / 9L type thing (with a real compressor pump
and motor).

I did get one of those basic spray guns you get bundled with the basic
compressors but I've never used it.

So, is there a small compressor driven cheap spray gun (from the likes
of Machine Mart) that would actually be useable with these small
compressors, even if only for short / small (and often fiddley) jobs
please? A 10 spoke steel wheel is very complicated to spray because of
it's shape and holes!

I do have an airbrush set but I feel it needs to be slightly bigger
than that.

Also, what's the difference between top feed guns and the alternatives
please?

All the best ..

T i m