Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crap flush

Hi,

I've recently had my toilet replaced, and the flush is a bit crap, which
is ironic considering that's often what it leaves me with.

There seem to be a few problems with it. Firstly, the flush handle is
awfully wobbly, but if I tighten it then the handle doesn't return to
the "up" position after flushing. Sometimes this happens anyway, and it
seems to be because the plunger thingy that gets pulled up by the handle
isn't that eager to drop back down.

The flush itself isn't that convincing either: instead of being a
strong whoosh of water, the main body of the flush is followed by a
pathetic two-second dribble. I've read elsewhere that modern cisterns
can be adjusted to give more than a six-litre flush, but mine has a
sticker on the top reading "6 LITRE MAXIMUM FLUSH". The tank doesn't
empty all the way when it flushes either; it seems to go down to about a
third. There's a line marked on the tank with a "6", presumably 6
litres, and it does fill more-or-less to that point.

Any advice greatly appreciated! Apologies for my lack of technical
language, I can post pictures if it would help!

Cheers
- Ian

--
Ian Chard, Senior Unix and Network Gorilla | E:
Systems and Electronic Resources Service | T: 80587 / (01865) 280587
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Ian Chard wrote:
I've recently had my toilet replaced, and the flush is a bit crap,

Get the person who replaced it to come back and do the job you paid them
to do.

Owain

Is it dual flush - Have you tried keeping the handle held down until it
stops?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/08 17:41, Owain wrote:
Ian Chard wrote:
I've recently had my toilet replaced, and the flush is a bit crap,

Get the person who replaced it to come back and do the job you paid them
to do.

The ideal solution but unfortunately hassle-full. I'd have to arrange
to be in the house to receive him, convince him there's a problem, and
potentially go through this iteration several times. If it's something
simple and I can do it myself, I'd rather do it in my own time and maybe
learn something along the way.

- Ian

--
Ian Chard, Senior Unix and Network Gorilla | E:
Systems and Electronic Resources Service | T: 80587 / (01865) 280587
Oxford University Library Services | F: (01865) 242287
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/08 18:40, John wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
Ian Chard wrote:
I've recently had my toilet replaced, and the flush is a bit crap,

Get the person who replaced it to come back and do the job you paid them
to do.

Owain

Is it dual flush - Have you tried keeping the handle held down until it
stops?

This doesn't seem to make any difference -- sometimes the handle sticks
down anyway.

- Ian