Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is there a rule?

Is there a rule that says heating engineers/gas fitters are not
allowed to fit the safety earths?

Is there another rule that electricians are not allowed to fit the
safety earth to pipes?

In my house the earth was run to the gas meter but not terminated and
in my daughter's house the earth was run to the boiler but not
terminated!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message
Is there a rule that says heating engineers/gas fitters are not
allowed to fit the safety earths?

Is there another rule that electricians are not allowed to fit the
safety earth to pipes?

In my house the earth was run to the gas meter but not terminated and
in my daughter's house the earth was run to the boiler but not
terminated!

I think it is more likely that the plumber has cut the earth (bonding cable
is a better term) from the clamp when changing the boiler and gas pipe.

Some local authorities do require a sparks to disconnect a bonding cable
before a plumber can start work etc. This only applies in their own
properties though. Daft, made up rules like this keep the paperclip
attendants in a job.

The main bonding of your gas and water maybe done by yourself.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 6:08*pm, "ARWadworth"
wrote:
"chudford" wrote in message

Is there a rule that says heating engineers/gas fitters are not
allowed to fit the safety earths?

Is there another rule that electricians are not allowed to fit the
safety earth to pipes?

In my house the earth was run to the gas meter but not terminated and
in my daughter's house the earth was run to the boiler but not
terminated!

I think it is more likely that the plumber has cut the earth (bonding cable
is a better term) from the clamp when changing the boiler and gas pipe.

Some local authorities do require a sparks to disconnect a bonding cable
before a plumber can start work etc. This only applies in their own
properties though. Daft, made up rules like this keep the paperclip
attendants in a job.

The main bonding of your gas and water maybe done by yourself.

Adam

Thanks Adam. Yes I did connect them in both cases.
In my house ( fairly new) the gas meter cable had never been
connected.
In my daughter's house (new boiler) the bonding cable had been run but
never been connected.
No clamps fitted on either.

Golden rule Jack Handey Metalworking 0 July 26th 08 03:39 PM
rule [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 10th 08 01:01 PM
The Three Day Rule Steve B Metalworking 18 December 31st 05 07:45 PM
The first rule of woodturning... Pain Devine Woodturning 24 July 20th 04 11:40 AM