Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chimney Lining

Hi all,

I had my chimney swept recently because we were getting a "smokey"
smell in our upstairs bedroom. However, the sweep told me that I will
need to get my chimney re-lined to fix the problem.

I live in a victorian, 3 storey townhouse and (used) to enjoy my nice
coal fire.

I have received one quote to install a steel liner but he wanted
£4,500!! I have also heard about another method of lining by pouring
cement down the chimney.

My questions a

- Does anybody have an idea of how much this should cost
- Will this method require opening up my newly decorated walls??

Thanks

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 12:28 pm, Mikey C wrote:
Hi all,

I had my chimney swept recently because we were getting a "smokey"
smell in our upstairs bedroom. However, the sweep told me that I will
need to get my chimney re-lined to fix the problem.

I live in a victorian, 3 storey townhouse and (used) to enjoy my nice
coal fire.

I have received one quote to install a steel liner but he wanted
£4,500!! I have also heard about another method of lining by pouring
cement down the chimney.

My questions a

- Does anybody have an idea of how much this should cost
- Will this method require opening up my newly decorated walls??

Is this three original storeys, or two-storey + loft conversion? It
UKP 4k5 sounds expensive to me, I think we paid ~ 2k5 to have a
chimney lined + a fireplace opened out a couple of years ago. But
they did by ladder to the loft conversion + stand on flat roof ... and
yes, this /was/ after the new "working at heights" rules came in. If
they need to erect scafolding, it will probably be more.

Probably worth asking for a couple more quotes - they might not have
wanted the job much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 5 Aug, 12:28, Mikey C wrote:
Hi all,

I had my chimney swept recently because we were getting a "smokey"
smell in our upstairs bedroom. However, the sweep told me that I will
need to get my chimney re-lined to fix the problem.

I live in a victorian, 3 storey townhouse and (used) to enjoy my nice
coal fire.

I have received one quote to install a steel liner but he wanted
£4,500!! I have also heard about another method of lining by pouring
cement down the chimney.

My questions a

- Does anybody have an idea of how much this should cost
- Will this method require opening up my newly decorated walls??

Thanks

Mike

Few years ago I had a "3 storey + loft" chimney relined w stainless
steel liner- I bought all the bits off t'internet and paid a HETAS
registered installer to do it for £300 - he didn't do a *brilliant*
job but it is still ok. Total including all was abt 2k.

You could do it yourself (technically you must let Building Control
know and pay their fees) but it isn't rocket science - (it's only
building!).

I've had a scaffolding tower put up, taken down, left for a "weekend"
for £120 cash from a local hire place. Once you get used to the height
it isnt that scary and wonderful views!!

A cementitious lining *done properly* would involve opening up through
chimney breasts wherever the flue changes angle to enable the
*professionals* to centralise the inflatable "sausage" former -
otherwise it will touch the inside of these bends and the "concrete"
poured around it wont get between the former and the brickwork -
leaving potential gas leaky holes in the lining....

jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mikey C" wrote in message
Hi all,

I live in a victorian, 3 storey townhouse and (used) to enjoy my nice
coal fire.

I have received one quote to install a steel liner but he wanted
£4,500!! I have also heard about another method of lining by pouring
cement down the chimney.

My questions a

- Does anybody have an idea of how much this should cost
- Will this method require opening up my newly decorated walls??

Thanks

Mike

We had our London victorian 3 storey semi lined last year.
Cost inc ss liner was £1550.
BUT they were able to do the work from the attic via a Velux window and roof
ladders, so no scaffolding needed.
Scaffolding would have been approx £1000 extra.

Your newly decorated walls will remain untouched unless the liner gets stuck
half-way down, if that happens then it will need to be dug out.
That nearly happened when ours was done, but one final heave on the rope got
the thing unstuck. That was the good news, the downside was what looked like
several hundredweight of of soot & debris came down the chimney with enough
force to burst through the anti dust sheets & boards at the bottom.

Toby

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 12:28*pm, Mikey C wrote:
Hi all,

I had my chimney swept recently because we were getting a "smokey"
smell in our upstairs bedroom. *However, the sweep told me that I will
need to get my chimney re-lined to fix the problem.

I live in a victorian, 3 storey townhouse and (used) to enjoy my nice
coal fire.

I have received one quote to install a steel liner but he wanted
£4,500!! *I have also heard about another method of lining by pouring
cement down the chimney.

My questions a

*- Does anybody have an idea of how much this should cost
*- Will this method require opening up my newly decorated walls??

Thanks

Mike

We had a poured concrete liner put in the last house about five years
ago for around GBP 1,100. They put a large inflatable sausage down
the chimney, through a shutter board at the bottom and then pumped it
up. The lightweight concrete is then pumped in at the top and the
sausage forms a smooth round flue. When it's dry, they deflate the
sausage et voila! we were very happy with the results and when I
swept the chimney after a year there was no soot, probably due to a
high temp woodstove and the smoothness of the flue.

I'd go with this method every time as it seems permanent - to me
those stainless steel tubes look a bit vulnerable to a careless sweep
etc, though I could be wrong. Also, no holes in walls.

I'd have to trust the installer though. There's potential for filling
the floor void/neighbour's house with concrete. If they get the
shutter board wrong, you get a free body cast...think Pompeii...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wow, I think I better start saving my pocket money then!

Thanks for all your advice

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

I'd go with this method every time as it seems permanent - to me
those stainless steel tubes look a bit vulnerable to a careless sweep
etc, though I could be wrong. Also, no holes in walls.

What holes in walls? with stainless steel liners??

Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 4:09*pm, jim wrote:
I'd go with this method every time as it seems permanent *- to me
those stainless steel tubes look a bit vulnerable to a careless sweep
etc, though I could be wrong. *Also, no holes in walls.

What holes in walls? with stainless steel liners??

Jim

To quote another poster - "Your newly decorated walls will remain
untouched unless the liner gets stuck half-way down, if that happens
then it will need to be dug out."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

We had a poured concrete liner put in the last house about five years
ago for around GBP 1,100.

I had two done at once by this method and have had no problems but on at
least one sharp curve I can see the concrete was so thin that some of the
old flue is now exposed. I think this is because the way the liner tries to
follow the curve. I wasn't home when it was done so didn't actually get to
see whether the rubber tube had stand offs to avoid this problem.

Doing it again I would DIY with the double skinned ss stuff but I cannot see
a way around the self certification.

Be aware it must be 6" plus for a wood fired stove even though people
advertise the 5" as being suitable.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 5 Aug, 16:23, David wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:09 pm, jim wrote:

I'd go with this method every time as it seems permanent - to me
those stainless steel tubes look a bit vulnerable to a careless sweep
etc, though I could be wrong. Also, no holes in walls.

What holes in walls? with stainless steel liners??

Jim

To quote another poster - "Your newly decorated walls will remain
untouched unless the liner gets stuck half-way down, if that happens
then it will need to be dug out."

wouldn't you just pull it back up and try again?

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 10:34*pm, jim wrote:
On 5 Aug, 16:23, David wrote:

On Aug 5, 4:09 pm, jim wrote:

I'd go with this method every time as it seems permanent *- to me
those stainless steel tubes look a bit vulnerable to a careless sweep
etc, though I could be wrong. *Also, no holes in walls.

What holes in walls? with stainless steel liners??

Jim

To quote another poster - "Your newly decorated walls will remain
untouched unless the liner gets stuck half-way down, if that happens
then it will need to be dug out."

wouldn't you just pull it back up and try again?

Jim

I think you're probably right, though do remember speaking to someone
who'd seen one stuck for two days. I suppose if you've fed it round a
couple of turns in an old stone chimney, there's potential for
jamming.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message
On 5 Aug, 16:23, David wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:09 pm, jim wrote:

I'd go with this method every time as it seems permanent - to me
those stainless steel tubes look a bit vulnerable to a careless sweep
etc, though I could be wrong. Also, no holes in walls.

What holes in walls? with stainless steel liners??

Jim

To quote another poster - "Your newly decorated walls will remain
untouched unless the liner gets stuck half-way down, if that happens
then it will need to be dug out."

wouldn't you just pull it back up and try again?

Jim

If you could do that it wouldn't be stuck would it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 6 Aug, 11:55, "Toby Sleigh" wrote:
"jim" wrote in message

On 5 Aug, 16:23, David wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:09 pm, jim wrote:

I'd go with this method every time as it seems permanent - to me
those stainless steel tubes look a bit vulnerable to a careless sweep
etc, though I could be wrong. Also, no holes in walls.

What holes in walls? with stainless steel liners??

Jim

To quote another poster - "Your newly decorated walls will remain
untouched unless the liner gets stuck half-way down, if that happens
then it will need to be dug out."

wouldn't you just pull it back up and try again?

Jim

If you could do that it wouldn't be stuck would it.

er..precisely - one would hope that what went down can come back up
again