Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New Boiler + Radiators

I was wondering if anyone can give me a ball-park price for replacing
a floor mounted boiler with a wall mounted (conventional or combi, I
don't mind) one.

The new one would be on the wall above the existing one, so minimal
pipework required. The flue would of course need to be moved.

Along with that 7 radiators to be replaced.

If anyone can give a reasonable guess how much that would cost, would
be most appreciated.

Ed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 13:43:33 -0700, billshatner71 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone can give me a ball-park price for replacing
a floor mounted boiler with a wall mounted (conventional or combi, I
don't mind) one.

The new one would be on the wall above the existing one, so minimal
pipework required. The flue would of course need to be moved.

ballpark 2 grand

Along with that 7 radiators to be replaced.

about £700

do they really need replacing?

--
John Stumbles

Bob the builder / it'll cost 'yer
Bob the builder / loadsa dosh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 13:43:33 -0700, billshatner71 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone can give me a ball-park price for replacing
a floor mounted boiler with a wall mounted (conventional or combi, I
don't mind) one.

The new one would be on the wall above the existing one, so minimal
pipework required. The flue would of course need to be moved.

ballpark 2 grand

Along with that 7 radiators to be replaced.

about £700

do they really need replacing?

I was thinking that - but if you use a condensing boiler having oversized
radiators is an advantage. If they were fitted before cavity wall
insulation or were oversized in the first place I would leave well alone.
Or just replace the unsightly ones or ones in a cold room.

I'd also be tempted to hang onto the hot water cylinder if the rest of the
hot water system is working OK. It's no different to some of the current
heat store systems but with a remote tank!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 11:56:08 +0100, Fred wrote:

I was thinking that - but if you use a condensing boiler having
oversized
radiators is an advantage.

Not that much of an advantage that replacing sericeable ones would make
economic or ecological sense, methinks.

--
John Stumbles

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 8:19*pm, John Stumbles wrote:
On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 11:56:08 +0100, Fred wrote:
*I was thinking that - but if you use a condensing boiler having
*oversized
radiatorsis an advantage.

Not that much of an advantage that replacing sericeable ones would make
economic or ecological sense, methinks.

--
John Stumbles

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I'm just looking for the
most economical way of doing this. I'm not fussed about having
something with bells and whistles, as the house stays reasonably warm
most of the year.

I only mentioned having the radiators replaced as the guy in B&Q, who
was a ex-boiler fitter suggested changing the radiators as well. In
fact he said if I didn't it'd be kind of cheapskate.