Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Solar Hot Water

I would be interested to read from anyone about a successfull DIY solar hot
water UK installation.

regards,

Beemer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 09:21:58 +0100 someone who may be "Beemer"
wrote this:-

I would be interested to read from anyone about a successfull DIY solar hot
water UK installation.

What do you mean by DIY?

Assembled from purchased components, rather like a DIY central
heating system?

Built out of odd bits that happened to be lying round the house?

Built from scratch, from raw materials like ores?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Beemer wrote:
I would be interested to read from anyone about a successfull DIY solar hot
water UK installation.

What do you class as 'successful'?

regards,

Beemer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Beemer wrote:
I would be interested to read from anyone about a successfull DIY
solar hot water UK installation.

What do you class as 'successful'?

regards,

Beemer

Heh. Presumably one which will be in profit before the user dies of old age.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I would be interested to read from anyone about a successfull DIY solar
hot
water UK installation.

What do you mean by DIY?

Assembled from purchased components, rather like a DIY central
heating system?

Built out of odd bits that happened to be lying round the house?

Built from scratch, from raw materials like ores?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David,

As a former steelworks electrician I know how steel is made and lots about
copper including its use when I designed and installed my own central
heating. Despite this I think buying proprietary bits would be easier
than building a blast furnace, rolling mill and pipe mill in my own back
garden 8

I was however wondering whether it is practical to build the roof panel
which should save much of its 1000 UK pound cost? Also buying the
pump/drain back unit direct e.g. from USA might make further saving.

As for "successful" I admit that I should have left this comment out.

regards,

Beemer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 08:49:07 +0100 someone who may be "Beemer"
wrote this:-

I was however wondering whether it is practical to build the roof panel
which should save much of its 1000 UK pound cost? Also buying the
pump/drain back unit direct e.g. from USA might make further saving.

I doubt if there are any designs of home built solar collector which
would cost £1000 to make. Nearly all the components should be scrap
from other things to be home made.

Alternatively for £395 (plus delivery if necessary) one can buy a 20
tube panel from Navitron, which will suit the typical hot water
cylinder of around 140L.
http://www.navitron.org.uk/product_detail.php?proID=116&catID=77

They also offer a variety of kits which have the bits for a DIY
installation. http://www.navitron.org.uk/product.php?proID=86

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I was however wondering whether it is practical to build the roof panel
which should save much of its 1000 UK pound cost? Also buying the
pump/drain back unit direct e.g. from USA might make further saving.

I doubt if there are any designs of home built solar collector which
would cost £1000 to make. Nearly all the components should be scrap
from other things to be home made.

Alternatively for £395 (plus delivery if necessary) one can buy a 20
tube panel from Navitron, which will suit the typical hot water
cylinder of around 140L.
http://www.navitron.org.uk/product_detail.php?proID=116&catID=77

They also offer a variety of kits which have the bits for a DIY
installation. http://www.navitron.org.uk/product.php?proID=86

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David,

Thanks for the links which I will check out.

regards,

Beemer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I would be interested to read from anyone about a successfull DIY solar
hot
water UK installation.

What do you mean by DIY?

Assembled from purchased components, rather like a DIY central
heating system?

Built out of odd bits that happened to be lying round the house?

Built from scratch, from raw materials like ores?

--
*David Hansen, Edinburgh

David,

As a former steelworks electrician I know how steel is made and lots about
copper including its use when I designed and installed my own central
heating. * *Despite this I think buying proprietary bits would be easier
than building a blast furnace, *rolling mill and pipe mill in my own back
garden 8

If Fred Dibnah can do it...(well not quite)

Can I use a plastic loft-type cold water tank for my solar water heater? MM UK diy 80 June 25th 08 10:25 PM
SOLAR WATER HEATER J T Woodworking 0 May 14th 07 03:30 AM
value of solar water preheater? N8N Home Repair 10 January 5th 07 04:33 PM
Need source for domestic water tank for solar hot water application. carneyke Metalworking 13 March 8th 06 01:28 PM
Solar Water Heater Metin Kaya Home Ownership 0 January 15th 04 03:18 PM