Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vokera HE Compact- Only fires when the front cover is off

My friend has a Vokera Compact HE combi boiler.

When HW or CH is called for the boiler starts to make its normal firing up
noises (I assume it is the fan) but never actually fires. There is no
ignition sequence or spark.

I took the cover plate off the burner front to have a look at the spark and
with this cover off the boiler fires. Replace the cover and the boiler stops
burning. The fan stays running.

The flue is clear of any debris and I changed the air pressure switch and
checked the tubes for damage. No change.

I realise that the boiler fires with this cover off as air is getting into
the burning chamber through the front and not through the flue.

So where do I look next to find the fault?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Aug, 15:22, "ARWadworth" wrote:
My friend has a Vokera Compact HE combi boiler.

When HW or CH is called for the boiler starts to make its normal firing up
noises (I assume it is the fan) but never actually fires. There is no
ignition sequence or spark.

I took the cover plate off the burner front to have a look at the spark and
with this cover off the boiler fires. Replace the cover and the boiler stops
burning. The fan stays running.

The flue is clear of any debris and I changed the air pressure switch and
checked the tubes for damage. No change.

I realise that the boiler fires with this cover off as air is getting into
the burning chamber through the front and not through the flue.

So where do I look next to find the fault?

Adam

Is there an obstruction inside the flue where the sensing tubes enter
the airstream? This could be down to corrosion within the venturi.
Alternatively leaves or cobwebs obscuring the air inlet or flue
outlet. (Other causes not discounted)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 14:22:16 +0000, ARWadworth wrote:

My friend has a Vokera Compact HE combi boiler.

When HW or CH is called for the boiler starts to make its normal firing
up noises (I assume it is the fan) but never actually fires. There is no
ignition sequence or spark.

I took the cover plate off the burner front to have a look at the spark
and with this cover off the boiler fires. Replace the cover and the
boiler stops burning. The fan stays running.

The flue is clear of any debris and I changed the air pressure switch
and checked the tubes for damage. No change.

I realise that the boiler fires with this cover off as air is getting
into the burning chamber through the front and not through the flue.

So where do I look next to find the fault?

Adam

==================================
A remote possibility...

My boiler gave the same symptoms for a quite simple fault. The boiler
would only fire up with front cover removed and it did this consistently.
Every time the cover was replaced it failed to fire up. When I removed
the cover to try again I noticed that the small ignition lead was
sparking against the boiler chassis and no spark was reaching the correct
ignition point. The ignition lead was being partly trapped when the cover
was replaced. The strange thing is that the insulation on the ignition
lead appeared to have broken down spontaneously - no physical damage
visible. In my case the lead was able to spark normally until it was
pushed against the chassis, so you might try moving your ignition lead
about to see if it does the same.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to ARWadworth, Sukhdev wrote:
clean the venturi on the fan.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ff-497963-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2017 04:14, Sukhdev wrote:
replying to ARWadworth, Sukhdev wrote:
clean the venturi on the fan.

I don't think he wants to know now - 9 years after he posted the question.

Hint: the web portal you are using likes to promote questions from a
decade ago as a current topic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes its a bloody mess and they have been told what a heap of crap their
interface is. I'm not totally sure if they even care. After all they pass
this place off as theirs, when it is clearly a Usenet group and these have
been around for longer than the web has.
If anyone wants to use it legitimately first try to figure out if the post
is very old if possible then quote part of it in your reply, at least that
way people here will know what its about.
Nobody is going to go on that web site to fiddle with the interface to do
what they can do perfectly well with software meant for the job of using the
newsgroups.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 19/05/2017 04:14, Sukhdev wrote:
replying to ARWadworth, Sukhdev wrote:
clean the venturi on the fan.

I don't think he wants to know now - 9 years after he posted the question.

Hint: the web portal you are using likes to promote questions from a
decade ago as a current topic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2017 04:14, Sukhdev wrote:
replying to ARWadworth, Sukhdev wrote:
clean the venturi on the fan.

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to ARWadworth, Anthony Savill wrote:
Hi did you find the problem with your boiler as i have the same problem thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ff-497963-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2018 23:44, Anthony Savill wrote:
replying to ARWadworth, Anthony Savill wrote:
Hi did you find the problem with your boiler as i have the same problem
thanks

Check the date of the post you to which you are replying. It's 10 years ago!