Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lights not working

My Daughter has a problem with the lights in her bathroom.
It is a large house on four floors and there are 10 bulbs in the
bathroom controlled by 4 seperate switches.
None of the bathroom lights work but all the other lights on that
floor work. There is not a seperate RCD for the bathroom.
I suspect that a wire has come loose somewhere on the lighting
circuit.
Is there a way of finding where the loose wire is without taking all
the ceiling roses off in turn.
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message
My Daughter has a problem with the lights in her bathroom.
It is a large house on four floors and there are 10 bulbs in the
bathroom controlled by 4 seperate switches.
None of the bathroom lights work but all the other lights on that
floor work. There is not a seperate RCD for the bathroom.
I suspect that a wire has come loose somewhere on the lighting
circuit.
Is there a way of finding where the loose wire is without taking all
the ceiling roses off in turn.
Thanks

I doubt it, but would start with the switches first, it might me wired by
the main feed to the set of switches, that then go up to the lights, if
there isn't any power here, then you need to work back form here.

It might be the neutral that has become disconnected, so if you test the
live
in the switch, against a neutral in the switch if there is one), you may not
get anything, but this does not mean the live is not live - you need to
measure between this live and earth, if there is one, I would also get
measure between this same live, and the neutral from a known working socket
(Via an extension lead, if necessary)

Can you take a picture of the back of the set of switches?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"chudford" wrote in message
My Daughter has a problem with the lights in her bathroom.
It is a large house on four floors and there are 10 bulbs in the
bathroom controlled by 4 seperate switches.
None of the bathroom lights work but all the other lights on that
floor work. There is not a seperate RCD for the bathroom.
I suspect that a wire has come loose somewhere on the lighting
circuit.
Is there a way of finding where the loose wire is without taking all
the ceiling roses off in turn.
Thanks

are these 240 volt lights or low voltage halogens?

If the latter could be a transformer gone

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 1, 11:27*am, "TMC" wrote:
"chudford" wrote in message

My Daughter has a problem with the lights in her bathroom.
It is a large house on four floors and there are 10 bulbs in the
bathroom controlled by 4 seperate switches.
None of the bathroom lights work but all the other lights on that
floor work. *There is not a seperate RCD for the bathroom.
I suspect that a wire has come loose somewhere on the lighting
circuit.
Is there a way of finding where the loose wire is without taking all
the ceiling roses off in turn.
Thanks

are these 240 volt lights or low voltage halogens?

If the latter could be a transformer gone

Tony

Thanks for the ideas.
I hadn't thought about a transformer.
The 4 switches are just 2 wires each to a single pole switch, so
presumably just switch the live.
I am going down on Sunday to try and fix the problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Aug, 11:57, chudford wrote:
On Aug 1, 11:27*am, "TMC" wrote:

"chudford" wrote in message

[...]

If it is transformer driven, have a look at any connectors on the LV
side as my lights kept on dropping out and I didn't realise for some
time that the connector was seriously under specified for the current
it was carrying and was potentially a fire source.
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message
On Aug 1, 11:27 am, "TMC" wrote:
"chudford" wrote in message

[...]

Usually you do just switch the live on a lighting circuit - but bear in mind
what others have said - you could have a break on the neutral. This could be
linked to a ceiling rose in a nearby room. Have any fittings been changed?

You didn't answer the question about a transformer - are you able to confirm
if the bulbs are mains or 12 volt?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You didn't answer the question about a transformer - are you able to confirm
if the bulbs are mains or 12 volt?-

Sorry I don't know at the moment as I haven't seen the problem, I've
only been talking over the phone to my Daughter.
I shall be going down to her house on Sunday to try and fix the
problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TMC wrote:
My Daughter has a problem with the lights in her bathroom.
It is a large house on four floors and there are 10 bulbs in the
bathroom controlled by 4 seperate switches.
None of the bathroom lights work but all the other lights on that
floor work. There is not a seperate RCD for the bathroom.
I suspect that a wire has come loose somewhere on the lighting
circuit.
Is there a way of finding where the loose wire is without taking all
the ceiling roses off in turn.
Thanks

are these 240 volt lights or low voltage halogens?

If the latter could be a transformer gone

I'd say it's a bit unlikely given the four switches - it wouldn't make
sense to switch at DC - and, what's more, removing a large part of the
load might allow the volts to rise too far.

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
chudford wrote:
My Daughter has a problem with the lights in her bathroom.
It is a large house on four floors and there are 10 bulbs in the
bathroom controlled by 4 seperate switches.
None of the bathroom lights work but all the other lights on that
floor work. There is not a seperate RCD for the bathroom.
I suspect that a wire has come loose somewhere on the lighting
circuit.
Is there a way of finding where the loose wire is without taking all
the ceiling roses off in turn.

I suppose you could make an educated guess by the layout of the house -
but are you sure all the connections to that circuit are actually in the
ceiling roses? In these days of low voltage stuff and fancy fittings they
often aren't.

You could try a live cable finder - but I'm not sure how well they work.

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
chudford wrote:
[...]

If 12 volt then I wouldn't underestimate the impact of bulb failures. One
can lead to others blowing - and so on.

Next - look for a fuse at the transformer - or a loose connection.

Whatever the voltage:

Assume the wiring was okay - then consider what might have been tampered
with (new fittings, switches, etc)

Don't assume fault is on live (line) feed - consider neutral as well.

Take a camera - if you cannot understand what you are seeing - post a photo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby" wrote

It might be the neutral that has become disconnected, so if you test the
live
in the switch, against a neutral in the switch if there is one), you may
not
get anything, but this does not mean the live is not live - you need to
measure between this live and earth, if there is one, I would also get
measure between this same live, and the neutral from a known working
socket
(Via an extension lead, if necessary)

If you test between live on the lighting circuit and neutral on the power,
won't you introduce an imbalance in the power circuit sufficient to drop out
the RCD?

Phil