Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mortice or screw?

Hello,

I have a gap above my new garage door, so I wanted to make a frame out
of 2x2 or 3x2 or somesuch and then attach a sheet of plywood over that
to keep burglars out!

Should I join the frame together with screws or should I use mortice
and tenon joints? How strong would such a joint be? I am thinking that
if the tenon is only one third of the thickness of the wood that it
might be too weak? Would it snap too easily if a burglar whacked it?
Would screws make a stronger, more secure finish?

Of course, I realise that if they are desperate to get in they will,
and they can always go through the brick wall with an angle grinder if
they are that desperate!

Thanks.
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:42:09 +0000, Stephen wrote:

Hello,

I have a gap above my new garage door, so I wanted to make a frame out
of 2x2 or 3x2 or somesuch and then attach a sheet of plywood over that
to keep burglars out!

Should I join the frame together with screws or should I use mortice and
tenon joints? How strong would such a joint be? I am thinking that if
the tenon is only one third of the thickness of the wood that it might
be too weak? Would it snap too easily if a burglar whacked it? Would
screws make a stronger, more secure finish?

Of course, I realise that if they are desperate to get in they will, and
they can always go through the brick wall with an angle grinder if they
are that desperate!

Thanks.
Stephen.

==================================
I think that 4" nails (possibly 6" depending on what timber you use)
would be very adequate for such a job.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Depending on the geometry which isn't clear from the description, nails may
pull out with a big nail bar. Dome head coach bolts are stronger especially
with big washers. Bolt 18 mm ply to the frame and the frame just needs butt
joints, especially with a sheet each side. I'm assuming the frame can be
secured to the brickwork or other structure. Try to make sure it is
difficult to attack by recessing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a gap above my new garage door, so I wanted to make a frame out
of 2x2 or 3x2 or somesuch and then attach a sheet of plywood over that
to keep burglars out!

Should I join the frame together with screws or should I use mortice
and tenon joints? How strong would such a joint be? I am thinking that
if the tenon is only one third of the thickness of the wood that it
might be too weak? Would it snap too easily if a burglar whacked it?
Would screws make a stronger, more secure finish?

Of course, I realise that if they are desperate to get in they will,
and they can always go through the brick wall with an angle grinder if
they are that desperate!

Thanks.
Stephen.

New garage door and a gap that can be framed with 2 or 3 x2 ?
Sounds like bad planning to me.
Lap joint or mortice/tenon will do the job. Lap possibly stronger in your
case. Might be worth making/buying steel angle plates to reinforce corners.
Unfortunately they are not desperate, they are opportunists. Also
unfortunately, it sounds like you could be offering an opportunity to ne'er
do wells.
Good luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 00:07:55 +0100, "Phil"
wrote:

New garage door and a gap that can be framed with 2 or 3 x2 ?
Sounds like bad planning to me.

Not really. 7 ft square door with fascia replaced with another 7 ft
door and now I need to make a fascia for that. True I could have
bought a 7'x8' door but that would probably have been twice as
expensive as buying a "standard" 7' square door off the shelf.

Mortice dimensions? Arthur2 UK diy 6 June 16th 08 01:09 PM
Genie Garage Door Opener screw drive - Screw coming apart timwilson Home Repair 3 June 24th 07 03:53 AM
Tapered mortice W Canaday Woodworking 11 January 28th 06 02:07 PM
Mortice Locks John UK diy 24 September 6th 03 01:38 AM