Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Call this a discount?

So, determined to do my floor tiles properly, and needing some
flexible tile adhesive, I tracked down an Ardurit dealer on the web,
drove over there on Saturday and...they were closed (must be the
holidays). On the way back, as Plan B, I stopped in Topps Tiles who,
as it happened, had just the thing I was after, albeit their own
brand.
"How much is that then?" (pointing at a 20 kg bag of flexible rapid
set with no price on it)
"Err...*tap tap*...£53"
"What's so special about it....How much is your regular rapid set?"
"Err...*tap tap*...£53...How much have you been paying for that?"
"About £10...... So you're just ridiculously expensive then"
"Err...well, I could do it for you for £20"

Is this a 'marketing' approach? Sell the tiles cheap (I presume, I
never stopped to look at their prices) and crank up the profit with
ridiculous costs for the other bits and pieces. Caveat emptor, I
guess.

I wonder what I could have got it for if I had haggled. As it was, I
shoved him a 20 and scooted before he decided he'd made a mistake and
changed his mind.......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:

Is this a 'marketing' approach? Sell the tiles cheap (I presume, I
never stopped to look at their prices) and crank up the profit with
ridiculous costs for the other bits and pieces.

Right in one. It's exactly the same as in carpet warehouses etc - they
highlight the cost of the 'discounted' tiles/carpets and then crank up
the price on the cement/underlay to make their profit and hope that
either you don't notice, or by the stage you're handing over your Visa
card you're past caring.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
[...]

Have you ever looked at a major supermarkets "Roll Back" on 3000 prices?

Have look at what they reduce - and then see where they increase the prices
of their other products (on the other 6000 or so), which is usually the
amount they have knocked off elsewhere, plus a percentage on top of that.

Con or what?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tanner-'op wrote:

GMM wrote:

[...]

I paid a visit to Asda a few minutes ago get get some beer tokens for
lunchtime tomorrow and noticed that they were 'rolling back 3000 prices
per week'. I thought of writing a letter asking what prices they had
reduced in the last few weeks, but as you know, Asda is so full of s**t
that you couldn't tell if the answer was the truth (doubtful) or bulls**t

Have look at what they reduce - and then see where they increase the prices
of their other products (on the other 6000 or so), which is usually the
amount they have knocked off elsewhere, plus a percentage on top of that.

Con or what?

No 'or what' about it :-(

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tanner-'op" wrote in message

Have you ever looked at a major supermarkets "Roll Back" on 3000 prices?

Have look at what they reduce - and then see where they increase the
prices of their other products (on the other 6000 or so), which is usually
the amount they have knocked off elsewhere, plus a percentage on top of
that.

Con or what?

You do lead an interesting life!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:59:33 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Tanner-'op" wrote in message

Have you ever looked at a major supermarkets "Roll Back" on 3000 prices?

Have look at what they reduce - and then see where they increase the
prices of their other products (on the other 6000 or so), which is usually
the amount they have knocked off elsewhere, plus a percentage on top of
that.

Con or what?

You do lead an interesting life!

Almost the only time I tend to use Asda these days is when I run short
of booze at 10·30 pm - there's a 24/6¼ Asda store a couple of miles
away (me - an alcoholic? Not really...!).
It's a pretty depressing sort of place really, although they do sell
some large mushrooms which I occasionally buy when I'm there, to have,
stuffed, for a light evening meal.

I've seen some "roll back" slogan but I have no idea what it's
supposed to mean; nor do I really care.
Actually it sounds a bit kinky...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jul, 07:29, Paul Matthews wrote:
GMM wrote:
Is this a 'marketing' approach? *Sell the tiles cheap (I presume, I
never stopped to look at their prices) and crank up the profit with
ridiculous costs for the other bits and pieces. *Caveat emptor, I
guess.

I think that is getting to be standard practice now - headline product cheap,
but the bits mount up - look at camera shops and flash cards as an example.
--
Paul Matthews * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Twas ever thus really. We'd be naive to think otherwise.

But they are only playing to our perceptions of what is expensive and
what isn't. If they didn't make a decent profit in their business,
they wouldn't continue doing it. And for the very large
organisations, the profit that we help them to generate today carries
forward into good pension investments for those of us whose pensions
depend on the capital markets growing.

Matt