Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Needed: small "gel" pad to act as door stop

Hi,

I have had to install two mirrored cupboard doors too close to the
adjacent wall. Currently the doors are covered in cardboard for
protection, but that tends to impact the performance of the mirrors.

My idea is to put some "door stops" on the skirting boards so the
doors can open but not hit the walls and risk breaking. I'm thinking
along the lines of self-adhesive "gel discs" that are about 2 cm in
diameter and between 5mm to 1cm thick. The idea being that when a door
opens near the skirting, the gel pad "cushions" the door and stops it
hitting the skirting. Any idea where I could buy something like this -
or any alternate ideas on how to stop the doors opening too far?

Thanks

Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Clive wrote:
Hi,

I have had to install two mirrored cupboard doors too close to the
adjacent wall. Currently the doors are covered in cardboard for
protection, but that tends to impact the performance of the mirrors.

My idea is to put some "door stops" on the skirting boards so the
doors can open but not hit the walls and risk breaking. I'm thinking
along the lines of self-adhesive "gel discs" that are about 2 cm in
diameter and between 5mm to 1cm thick. The idea being that when a door
opens near the skirting, the gel pad "cushions" the door and stops it
hitting the skirting. Any idea where I could buy something like this -
or any alternate ideas on how to stop the doors opening too far?

Have you considered a soft-close device - such as the 970A on page 17 of

http://www.blum.com/popup/brochure_pdf/ep-104/ep104_en.php?w=800&h=600&m=pdf&up_site=gb&up_lang= en&pmod=pdf

(that is PDF page number)? I haven't checked exactly which model is
which - one is intended for hinge-side, another for handle side. I guess
the mechanism is different for each.

Not sure whether you could see a way to exploit these but they are at
least designed to soften a cupboard door as it closes.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Clive wrote:
[...]

As I imagine the situation, won't it tend to make the door flex - and crack
the glass if you have a bump stop just at the bottom

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
Clive wrote:
[...]

Quite possibly. The PDF does actually suggest fitting top and bottom for
heavier doors. (Definitely worth considering.) And all sorts of other
helpful fitting information. OP seemed to be thinking of gel pads on
skirting only.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:32:32 -0700, Clive wrote:

Hi,

I have had to install two mirrored cupboard doors too close to the
adjacent wall. Currently the doors are covered in cardboard for
protection, but that tends to impact the performance of the mirrors.

My idea is to put some "door stops" on the skirting boards so the
doors can open but not hit the walls and risk breaking. I'm thinking
along the lines of self-adhesive "gel discs" that are about 2 cm in
diameter and between 5mm to 1cm thick. The idea being that when a door
opens near the skirting, the gel pad "cushions" the door and stops it
hitting the skirting. Any idea where I could buy something like this -
or any alternate ideas on how to stop the doors opening too far?

Thanks

Clive

Standard fitting - position at half height:

http://tinyurl.com/5mr5ye

Alternatively fit a length of string between door and carcase slightly
less than maximum opening.

Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux