Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Not diy but pc folk might know

I Googled for something and at the bottom of the page was:

Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you
may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at
ChillingEffects.org.

I've never seen it before, what does it mean?
Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:30:16 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I Googled for something and at the bottom of the page was:

Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you
may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at
ChillingEffects.org.

I've never seen it before, what does it mean?
Mary

It's usually seen when someone has Warez or copyright stuff available
on the site.

They receive a letter telling them to take it off. If they don't and
the site is in US jurisdiction, it gets nasty.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
I Googled for something and at the bottom of the page was:

Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you
wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at
ChillingEffects.org.

I've never seen it before, what does it mean?
Mary

If you go to chillingeffects, you can look at the DMCA page and it tells
you.

Basically it's a law which copyright owners of digital work are using to
prevent people from geting their hands on the source code in order to
violate it, make patches or generally rip it to pieces etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jul, 16:30, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I Googled for something and at the bottom of the page was:

Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you
may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at
ChillingEffects.org.

DMCA is a horribly blunt pro-forma that allows anyone in the USA who
understands it to send threatening-looking "Cease & Desist" notices to
anyone they feel like, without any real need for suppoorting evidence
or legal cause. They're easy to defend against (they fall apart in
court), but you have to go to court to do so. Overall it's a typical
knee-jerk reaction (like the UK dangerous dogs laws) with an
additional twist of the US Mouse-protection laws that favour the well-
heeled or corporations over citizens. Great way to stifle grass-roots
protest.

ChillingEffects.org are a bunch of the good guys (I think Lessig is in
there somewhere) who are trying to highlight the issue and its abuses.

Some of the DMCA kerfuffle is related to the LOCATS macro intaweb meme
(look it up on wikipedia, it's all there). It's probably at its
funniest with the gothmacros community on Livejournal. _If_ your taste
in clothing is questionable, and your waistline is more of an equator,
and the "goth fashion" community you read and post to is closely
associated with a particularly barbed "I HAZ A BUKKIT" community full
of bitchy Photoshoppers, then it may not be the wisest thing to upload
photos of yourself in full costume to a community where there's an
implicit re-use licence on the content uploaded....

If you did all of that, and you're American, then you can have endless
fun by trying to throw the DMCA around at the people who ripped you
(and your bukkit) to shreds. If these people are Goths (which largely
means over-educated, under-worked Libertarian Unix admins) then expect
fireworks in return.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 25 Jul, 16:30, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I Googled for something and at the bottom of the page was:

Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this
[...]

So now you know! I bet Mary wishes she'd never asked! g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:

[...]

Well, I do - in a way - but isn't it good to see people making fools of
themselves!

I'm always amazed at factories dedicated to making strange widgets most
people have never heard of, this is the internet equivalent I suppose.

Thanks to everyone,

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I Googled for something and at the bottom of the page was:

Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish,
you
may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at
ChillingEffects.org.

I've never seen it before, what does it mean?
Mary

It's usually seen when someone has Warez or copyright stuff available
on the site.

What's Warez?

And isn't almost everything copyright?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

.. .
wrote:

I Googled for something and at the bottom of the page was:

Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish,
you
may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at
ChillingEffects.org.

I've never seen it before, what does it mean?
Mary

It's usually seen when someone has Warez or copyright stuff available
on the site.

What's Warez?

And isn't almost everything copyright?

Mary

Still incapable of using Google ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I Googled for something and at the bottom of the page was:

Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish,
you
may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at
ChillingEffects.org.

I've never seen it before, what does it mean? Mary

It's usually seen when someone has Warez or copyright stuff available
on the site.

What's Warez?

And isn't almost everything copyright?

Yes, but the internet means that if anything is digital it sooner or later
becomes worth less than the paper it will never be printed on as far as
royalties or a revenue stream is concerned.

Eventually, people who make creative works will do one of three things.
1) Do it for fun/personal/moral reasons.
2) Be commissioned and paid to make/write something.
3) Be paid to perform something.

Quite a few kinds of artist already are used to this setup (painters,
sculptors, actors, dancers, performing musicians, 'bards', TV)

The ones who will have to change are recording musicians, film makers,
composers, script writers and maybe book writers. The latter may well
survive because there is no book reading technology that is 'as nice as a
paper book' - yet.

However between the end state and the current state one almighty
electronic and legal cultural war will be waged, which has already begun.
The outcome is inevitable but the losing side have enormous resources at
their disposal so the fight will be pretty impressive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:12:29 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 25 Jul, 16:30, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I Googled for something and at the bottom of the page was:

Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page.
[...]

Some of the more amusing out workings of the cultural war....

Several laser printers being sent notices of copyright infringement.

A number (13,256,278,887,989,457,651,018,865,901,401,704,64 0) was declared
illegal to broadcast or communicate to anyone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

I've never seen it before, what does it mean?

Its a raft of US legislation that makes it illegal to try and circumvent
any technical measure used to protect copyright. So for example reverse
engineering the protection mechanism that protects a digital rights
managed audio file so that you can download it onto your MP3 play would
in itself become an offence. With it is a large collection of legal
mechanisms that allow for issuing takedown notices to suppress
supposedly illegally hosted content. Needless to say it is widly abused
as a way of stifling anything that a corporation or copyright holder
wants to suppress without any real need for evidence.

We now have something similar in the EU copyright directive.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm always amazed at factories dedicated to making strange widgets most
people have never heard of, this is the internet equivalent I suppose.

No, I think _this_ is the internet equivalent:

http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome

http://autopope.livejournal.com/380124.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:11:42 -0700 (PDT), a particular chimpanzee,
Andy Dingley randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

If_ your taste
in clothing is questionable, and your waistline is more of an equator,
and the "goth fashion" community you read and post to is closely
associated with a particularly barbed "I HAZ A BUKKIT" community full
of bitchy Photoshoppers, then it may not be the wisest thing to upload
photos of yourself in full costume to a community where there's an
implicit re-use licence on the content uploaded....

...Speaking from experience, perchance?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The ones who will have to change are recording musicians, film makers,
composers, script writers and maybe book writers. The latter may well
survive because there is no book reading technology that is 'as nice as a
paper book' - yet.

However between the end state and the current state one almighty
electronic and legal cultural war will be waged, which has already begun.
The outcome is inevitable but the losing side have enormous resources at
their disposal so the fight will be pretty impressive.

I know plenty of cases where people have sampled a tv series from an
illegal download, and then gone out and spent big bucks on the complete
dvd version. I think HBO and others are well aware of this
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:12:18 +0100, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:11:42 -0700 (PDT), a particular chimpanzee,
Andy Dingley randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

If_ your taste
in clothing is questionable, and your waistline is more of an equator,
and the "goth fashion" community you read and post to is closely
associated with a particularly barbed "I HAZ A BUKKIT" community full
of bitchy Photoshoppers, then it may not be the wisest thing to upload
photos of yourself in full costume to a community where there's an
implicit re-use licence on the content uploaded....

..Speaking from experience, perchance?

Yes. Car-crash blogging. Cruel, but great sport to watch.

Links are from here
http://community.livejournal.com/got...os/435810.html

You'll need to know what a "LOLRUS" is before you can even begin to
understand this story.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:29:38 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

The ones who will have to change are recording musicians, film makers,
composers, script writers and maybe book writers. The latter may well
survive because there is no book reading technology that is 'as nice as a
paper book' - yet.

However between the end state and the current state one almighty
electronic and legal cultural war will be waged, which has already begun.
The outcome is inevitable but the losing side have enormous resources at
their disposal so the fight will be pretty impressive.

I know plenty of cases where people have sampled a tv series from an
illegal download, and then gone out and spent big bucks on the complete
dvd version. I think HBO and others are well aware of this

They are but don't believe it in their hysteria. Only in the US have
musicians and authors realised this and begun to trade on it to their
advantage.