Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can you get 'low pressure' Check Valves?

Last week I posted a question as to why my Ikea taps came with Check
Valves of which I got many helpful answers.

Because of unforeseen problems, I had to install them temporarily
using 'flexible hoses' and I didn't bother to put the check valves in
for now. On face value, everything was OK.. I figured that the valves
was purely a legal requirement after all and there was no technical
reason why they had to be there..

That was until last night...

The taps I have bought have a 'rinser' attachment, in the form of a 2
foot hose, held up in the air by a spring.. Water is directed out of
the tap, or up to the rincer using a leverl on the tap, and the
'rinser' attachment is operated using a level on the handle which
presses a valve..

So to use the rinser you have to do 3 things.

1. Turn the level to direct water upto the rinser
2. Turn on the tap
3. Press the lever on the rinser

Last night, I had the taps in the mixed position and turned the lever
to direct the water to the rinser.. When I did this, there was a whosh
as the water entered the pipes, but it didn't stop. It simply sounded
like water running through pipes just like you get when you normally
run the hot/cold water.. When I put the mixer to full hot or full
cold, it stopped.. But when it was mixing, you could hear running
water. The problem was obvious.. Because the output of the rincer is
blocked (by the valve), it holds the water back, but since the tap is
open, water is entering the tap body and mixing.. In my case, the cold
is high pressure mains and the hot low pressure and what I could hear
was the cold water pushing up the hot pipes...Not good at all!!

So clearly I need to put the check valves in, not only because of the
legal requirements, but also to stop my from flooding the house!

The big problem I have in my house is low hot water pressure.. Right
now, with the flexible pipes in, the hot has been reduced to a trickle
and I hope that this is caused by a kink in the pipe and when I
install it permanently (using solder joints) it will be better..

Looking at the valves I have now, they seems quite stiff.. I have a
fear that it will restrict the pressure and make the flow worse than
it is now... I just wondered if you can get a check valve which is
'loose' and has little effect on the pressure of the water?

Does anything like this exist? Do check valves come in different
'strengths'?

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Because of unforeseen problems, I had to install them temporarily
using 'flexible hoses' and I didn't bother to put the check valves in
for now. On face value, everything was OK.. I figured that the valves
was purely a legal requirement after all and there was no technical
reason why they had to be there..

Ah...

That was until last night...

open, water is entering the tap body and mixing.. In my case, the cold
is high pressure mains and the hot low pressure and what I could hear
was the cold water pushing up the hot pipes...Not good at all!!

Yup, that would be the technical reason! ;-)

The big problem I have in my house is low hot water pressure.. Right
now, with the flexible pipes in, the hot has been reduced to a trickle
and I hope that this is caused by a kink in the pipe and when I
install it permanently (using solder joints) it will be better..

Alas I expect probably not. You have a tap that is designed to work on a
high pressure hot system - these often perform poorly on gravity fed hot
water systems.

Looking at the valves I have now, they seems quite stiff.. I have a
fear that it will restrict the pressure and make the flow worse than
it is now... I just wondered if you can get a check valve which is
'loose' and has little effect on the pressure of the water?

It will reduce it - the question is how much. If you are particularly
unlucky it will prevent the flow of hot!

Does anything like this exist? Do check valves come in different
'strengths'?

Not really... although some brands may be less aggressive than others.
you can butcher a double check valve to remove half the valve (i.e.
making it a single check valve!) - it would no longer be legal, but
ought to peform the technical part of the job.

You may need to fit a pump to get adequate performance with that tap.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:15:11 +0100, Ben Willcox wrote:

Yes I had a similar problem, and I simply removed the springs out of the
check valve and then had no problems! They still work although perhaps
in this mode allow a tiny bit of extra water back before closing, but I
don't think it really matters in this application.

You may have to hunt around to find regular single-check valves you can
readily do this with: some have the gubbins held in with C-rings which
are nigh impossible to remove, others have rings where a little bit of the
metal is distorted inwards so you can get a grip on it to remove it.

Alternatively single-check valves for showers are quite light in action.
They have 1/2" BSP male[1] one end, female the other, so may be easy to
retrofit into an existing installation.

[1] on my gas retraining last week I was told (I don't know if the teller
had his tongue in his cheek) that we're not supposed to refer to threads
as male and female any more, but as external and internal. All together
now: Political Correctness Gone Mad!

--
John Stumbles

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
[1] on my gas retraining last week I was told (I don't know if the teller
had his tongue in his cheek) that we're not supposed to refer to threads
as male and female any more, but as external and internal. All together
now: Political Correctness Gone Mad!

One computer company I worked for some time back, we had a work
experience teenager come and work for some weeks. He did things
related to building and installing/moving PCs around the office.

One day, when holding a cable connector, he said "I never can
remember which is a male and which is a female connector".
There followed a short lesson on the birds and the bees, much
to his embarrassment. He never lived that one down...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Double check valves long ironer UK diy 2 June 27th 06 11:53 PM
High pressure vs. low pressure ball valves. [email protected] UK diy 6 March 28th 06 12:02 PM
Check valves Ben Edgington UK diy 0 August 31st 05 12:29 PM
Do Well Check Valves need to be vertical? PaulJ Home Repair 1 March 31st 05 05:42 PM
check valves and spa/swimming pool Frank Home Repair 2 November 20th 04 10:46 PM