Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What a pane.

Busman's holiday. Decided to replace the electric fan in the kitchen window
today & typically the window pane (single glazed) cracked as I removed the
fan.

Popped down to local glass shoppe & got replacement pane of glass with a 6"
hole cut in it (how do they make that look so easy?).

Replaced the pane of glass & then found that the hole is very slightly too
small for the fan body - bugger. Glass shoppe now shut for weekend - double
bugger.

Since the glass is in place & SWMBO wants the fan working, any suggestions
on how to open out the hole slightly?

Altogether now..... angle grinder!!

I have a Dremel, various abrasive devices etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-05 19:44:36 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Busman's holiday. Decided to replace the electric fan in the kitchen window
today & typically the window pane (single glazed) cracked as I removed the
fan.

Popped down to local glass shoppe & got replacement pane of glass with a 6"
hole cut in it (how do they make that look so easy?).

Replaced the pane of glass & then found that the hole is very slightly too
small for the fan body - bugger. Glass shoppe now shut for weekend - double
bugger.

Since the glass is in place & SWMBO wants the fan working, any suggestions
on how to open out the hole slightly?

Altogether now..... angle grinder!!

I have a Dremel, various abrasive devices etc.

Multimaster.

You know you want the real thing.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
[...]

Who's a silly handyman then ;-) better to have the hole slightly oversize
rather than undersize,were glass is concerned anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
Replaced the pane of glass & then found that the hole is very slightly too
small for the fan body - bugger.

You measured the hole too small and then fitted the pane before trying the
fan in.

You've been watching me DIY haven't you!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
Busman's holiday. Decided to replace the electric fan in the kitchen

window
today & typically the window pane (single glazed) cracked as I removed the
fan.

Popped down to local glass shoppe & got replacement pane of glass with a

6"
hole cut in it (how do they make that look so easy?).

Replaced the pane of glass & then found that the hole is very slightly too
small for the fan body - bugger. Glass shoppe now shut for weekend -

double
bugger.

You could try this....

Two pieces of thin plywood with the correct size hole cut out on
both,position the two pieces on either side of the glass hole and clamp them
slightly tight so as not to crack the glass.
Then use your dremel grinding tool to grind off the excess glass around the
hole level with the the plywood cutout hole.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Busman's holiday. Decided to replace the electric fan in the kitchen
window today & typically the window pane (single glazed) cracked as I
removed the fan.

Popped down to local glass shoppe & got replacement pane of glass
with a 6" hole cut in it (how do they make that look so easy?).

Replaced the pane of glass & then found that the hole is very
slightly too small for the fan body - bugger. Glass shoppe now shut
for weekend - double bugger.

Since the glass is in place & SWMBO wants the fan working, any
suggestions on how to open out the hole slightly?

Altogether now..... angle grinder!!

I have a Dremel, various abrasive devices etc.

Dave,

I won't state the obvious. ;-) but with care, and using a Dremel type of
tool with the correct stone, it is possible to grind the edge of the glass
to the diameter required - but the odds are that you will break the stuff.

Try cutting a slightly larger diameter hole in a piece of 3/4" ply wood than
required by the fan, put that into a warm room and lay the glass flat on top
of it so that it is well supported (and the hole is over the hole in the
ply) and then carefully 'attack' the edge of the hole in the glass with the
abrasive stone - (damn, this reads just like and American workshop car
manual that I am having a look at).

There is no real secret to the job - other than confidence, having the glass
at a warm room temperature, well supported and taking your time. Oh, and an
extra pair of hands would be useful to stop the glass slipping about when
you are working on it.

All the best with this job.

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Busman's holiday. Decided to replace the electric fan in the kitchen window
today & typically the window pane (single glazed) cracked as I removed the
fan.

Popped down to local glass shoppe & got replacement pane of glass with a 6"
hole cut in it (how do they make that look so easy?).

Replaced the pane of glass & then found that the hole is very slightly too
small for the fan body - bugger. Glass shoppe now shut for weekend - double
bugger.

Since the glass is in place & SWMBO wants the fan working, any suggestions
on how to open out the hole slightly?

Altogether now..... angle grinder!!

I have a Dremel, various abrasive devices etc.

Cheat. Use a bit of plywood and make do until Monday (or next
opportunity for doing it). Or if you have some suitable plastic sheet
material...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 18:44:36 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Busman's holiday. Decided to replace the electric fan in the kitchen
window today & typically the window pane (single glazed) cracked as I
removed the fan.

Popped down to local glass shoppe & got replacement pane of glass with a
6" hole cut in it (how do they make that look so easy?).

Replaced the pane of glass & then found that the hole is very slightly
too small for the fan body - bugger. Glass shoppe now shut for weekend
- double bugger.

Since the glass is in place & SWMBO wants the fan working, any
suggestions on how to open out the hole slightly?

Altogether now..... angle grinder!!

I have a Dremel, various abrasive devices etc.

Do you have a tile cutting machine? The sort with a powered water
lubricated diamond wheel.

I you only need the hole to be bigger in a few places this will be the
easiest way. I have used one of these for this purpose but not to enlarge
a hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ed Sirett
writes
[...]

mainly on the circumference, I think, Ed

this will be the
easiest way. I have used one of these for this purpose but not to enlarge
a hole.

Dave didn't say how much "slightly" is - a mm ?

Shaving it off the fan housing (assuming it's plastic) I'm sure would be
the path of least resistance

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 18:44:36 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Busman's holiday. Decided to replace the electric fan in the kitchen window
today & typically the window pane (single glazed) cracked as I removed the
fan.

Popped down to local glass shoppe & got replacement pane of glass with a 6"
hole cut in it (how do they make that look so easy?).

Replaced the pane of glass & then found that the hole is very slightly too
small for the fan body - bugger. Glass shoppe now shut for weekend - double
bugger.

Since the glass is in place & SWMBO wants the fan working, any suggestions
on how to open out the hole slightly?

Altogether now..... angle grinder!!

I have a Dremel, various abrasive devices etc.

It may sound daft but I have enlarged a hole like that with a diamond
nail file from my wifes handbag.

(She never noticed)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
[...]

Oh thanks for that George. I did ask the bloke for a 6" hole...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Ed Sirett
writes
[...]

Indeed, the circumferance.

this will be the
easiest way. I have used one of these for this purpose but not to
enlarge a hole.

Dave didn't say how much "slightly" is - a mm ?

About 2mm on the diameter, so 1mm on the radius.

Shaving it off the fan housing (assuming it's plastic) I'm sure would
be the path of least resistance

Alas not much of it to shave off.

Sigh

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Busman's holiday. *Decided to replace the electric fan in the kitchen window
today & typically the window pane (single glazed) cracked as I removed the
fan.

Popped down to local glass shoppe & got replacement pane of glass with a 6"
hole cut in it (how do they make that look so easy?).

Replaced the pane of glass & then found that the hole is very slightly too
small for the fan body - bugger. *Glass shoppe now shut for weekend - double
bugger.

Since the glass is in place & SWMBO wants the fan working, any suggestions
on how to open out the hole slightly?

Altogether now..... angle grinder!!

I have a Dremel, various abrasive devices etc.

It may sound daft but I have enlarged a hole like that with a diamond
nail file from my wifes handbag.

(She never noticed)

fwiw I spent a whole afternoon grinding glazed tiles with a stone in a
die grinder and nothing broke, so i'd be fairly tempted to try that

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 18:44:36 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Busman's holiday. Decided to replace the electric fan in the kitchen window
today & typically the window pane (single glazed) cracked as I removed the
fan.

Popped down to local glass shoppe & got replacement pane of glass with a 6"
hole cut in it (how do they make that look so easy?).

Replaced the pane of glass & then found that the hole is very slightly too
small for the fan body - bugger. Glass shoppe now shut for weekend - double
bugger.

Since the glass is in place & SWMBO wants the fan working, any suggestions
on how to open out the hole slightly?

Altogether now..... angle grinder!!

I have a Dremel, various abrasive devices etc.

==================================
Tile file used gently along the edge of the glass - not across:

http://tinyurl.com/57lyhf

Alternatively, a length of 1" dowel wrapped with your choice of abrasive
paper.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message

..

It may sound daft but I have enlarged a hole like that with a diamond
nail file from my wifes handbag.

What were you doing in your wife's handbag?

I mean, would you like it if she went through your pockets?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 22:25:51 +0100, EricP wrote:

It may sound daft but I have enlarged a hole like that with a diamond
nail file from my wifes handbag.

So all thats needed now is for you to send your wife round to meet the OP
and it's sorted...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 22:27:08 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

George wrote:
[...]

But if you interfere with it and the glass breaks, no come-back.
Alternatively, be patient, take the glass back on Monday with a 6"
ruler and wave both under the bloke's nose.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message news Busman's holiday. Decided to replace the electric fan in the
[...]

Wave the fan under his nose, which is what I would have done in the
first place
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

==================================
Tile file used gently along the edge of the glass - not across:

http://tinyurl.com/57lyhf

Have you done that before or are you just a genius? That works an absolute
treat, in under half an hour I had milled off enough to get the fan to slide
in.

It was only then that I realised the PCD for the fixings screws is larger
than 6"!

Finally - I read the instructions - it needs a 7" hole!

FX sound of beer can opening FX

--
Dave - The Medway Knobhead
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"EricP" wrote in message

.

It may sound daft but I have enlarged a hole like that with a diamond
nail file from my wifes handbag.

What were you doing in your wife's handbag?

I mean, would you like it if she went through your pockets?

Mary

Why shouldn't he look in his wife's handbag - after all, his wife probably
does go through his pockets every time she launders his trousers or take his
suits to the cleaners - or metaphorically, everytime he has to pay for
something (if it's the typical woman, quite often I bet)!

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 10:45:36 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Cicero wrote:

==================================
Tile file used gently along the edge of the glass - not across:

http://tinyurl.com/57lyhf

Have you done that before or are you just a genius? That works an absolute
treat, in under half an hour I had milled off enough to get the fan to slide
in.

It was only then that I realised the PCD for the fixings screws is larger
than 6"!

Finally - I read the instructions - it needs a 7" hole!

FX sound of beer can opening FX

==================================
I'd like to claim 'genius' but the truth is that I have tried it before
whilst experimenting with a home-made glass splashback. The method is OK
for fairly rough work but a good finish is best left to the professionals
even if it is expensive.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:13:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"EricP" wrote in message
.. .

.

It may sound daft but I have enlarged a hole like that with a diamond
nail file from my wifes handbag.

What were you doing in your wife's handbag?

Bad things!

I mean, would you like it if she went through your pockets?

I live in hope, when I am wearing them!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 22:30:56 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

geoff wrote:
In message , Ed Sirett
writes
[...]

It would work provided the existing hole is bigger than the entire blade/
guard assy. It would be better to make a tedious series of very small
straight radial cuts of about 3-4mm over about half the circumference.
The cutts will need to be no more than about 1-2 mm apart.
The tiny fingers of glass that remains can be removed by very gentle
tapping/touching with any hard object.