Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broken motor bush.

Hitachi TR-8 router.
I took apart an old router last night to clean it.
In the process of reassembly I broke one of the motor bushes
i.e. twisted copper wire disconnected from carbon block.
I managed to get it back in because the router was designed to enable
the bushes to be changed from the outside.
I chanced a power up and it ran ok before I quickly switched off.
Is it risky to put the router to work?

Thanks.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it risky to put the router to work?

I don't see why it would be, though I am not an electrical expert. My
brushes started playing up on my jig saw recently because they were
worn down so as a temporary measure I shoved a bit of silver foil
under the spring on top of the brush to push the brush down and it
worked a treat untill the new brushes arrived.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 06:37:29 -0700 (PDT), Arthur 51
wrote:

Hitachi TR-8 router.
I took apart an old router last night to clean it.
In the process of reassembly I broke one of the motor bushes
i.e. twisted copper wire disconnected from carbon block.
I managed to get it back in because the router was designed to enable
the bushes to be changed from the outside.
I chanced a power up and it ran ok before I quickly switched off.
Is it risky to put the router to work?

Thanks.

Arthur

I guess you mean brush and not bush ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hitachi TR-8 router.
I took apart an old router last night to clean it.
In the process of reassembly I broke one of the motor bushes
i.e. twisted copper wire disconnected from carbon block.
I managed to get it back in because the router was designed to enable
the bushes to be changed from the outside.
I chanced a power up and it ran ok before I quickly switched off.
Is it risky to put the router to work?

Thanks.

Arthur

I guess you mean brush and not bush ?

Errm...excuse me while I finish bushing my hair.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 pretended :
Hitachi TR-8 router.
I took apart an old router last night to clean it.
In the process of reassembly I broke one of the motor bushes
i.e. twisted copper wire disconnected from carbon block.
I managed to get it back in because the router was designed to enable
the bushes to be changed from the outside.
I chanced a power up and it ran ok before I quickly switched off.
Is it risky to put the router to work?

Risky to you, no.

Risky as in damage to the motor, yes.

The motor current will have to pass through the spring instead of the
copper, which is thin steel and will heat up and loose it's
springiness. That will cause poor contact between brush and commutator,
promoting commutator arcing damage.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Arthur 51 pretended :
Hitachi TR-8 router.
I took apart an old router last night to clean it.
In the process of reassembly I broke one of the motor bushes
i.e. twisted copper wire disconnected from carbon block.
I managed to get it back in because the router was designed to enable
the bushes to be changed from the outside.
I chanced a power up and it ran ok before I quickly switched off.
Is it risky to put the router to work?

Risky to you, no.

Risky as in damage to the motor, yes.

The motor current will have to pass through the spring instead of the
copper, which is thin steel and will heat up and loose it's springiness.
That will cause poor contact between brush and commutator, promoting
commutator arcing damage.

--

Thanks.
Although I'm 80% sure I managed to keep the copper twist in the hole
at the back of the brush.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hitachi TR-8 router.
I took apart an old router last night to clean it.
In the process of reassembly I broke one of the motor bushes
i.e. twisted copper wire disconnected from carbon block.
I managed to get it back in because the router was designed to enable
the bushes to be changed from the outside.
I chanced a power up and it ran ok before I quickly switched off.
Is it risky to put the router to work?

Thanks.

Arthur

I guess you mean brush and not bush ?

Errm...excuse me while I finish bushing my hair.

Don't you mean brushing her bush?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Arthur 51 pretended :
Hitachi TR-8 router.
I took apart an old router last night to clean it.
In the process of reassembly I broke one of the motor bushes
i.e. twisted copper wire disconnected from carbon block.
I managed to get it back in because the router was designed to enable
the bushes to be changed from the outside.
I chanced a power up and it ran ok before I quickly switched off.
Is it risky to put the router to work?

Risky to you, no.

Risky as in damage to the motor, yes.

The motor current will have to pass through the spring instead of the
copper, which is thin steel and will heat up and loose it's springiness.

Or even lose it.

That will cause poor contact between brush and commutator, promoting
commutator arcing damage.

Just a thought:

I wonder if a stopgap solution might be to whittle a bit of one of those
thick 'carpenters pencils' to fit the hole. Next time my old B&D starts
playing up, I'll have to give it a try.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is graphite solderable? Anyone know?

cheers,