Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broken motor bush.

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Arthur 51 pretended :
Hitachi TR-8 router.
I took apart an old router last night to clean it.
In the process of reassembly I broke one of the motor bushes
i.e. twisted copper wire disconnected from carbon block.
I managed to get it back in because the router was designed to enable
the bushes to be changed from the outside.
I chanced a power up and it ran ok before I quickly switched off.
Is it risky to put the router to work?

Risky to you, no.

Risky as in damage to the motor, yes.

The motor current will have to pass through the spring instead of the
copper, which is thin steel and will heat up and loose it's springiness.

Or even lose it.

That will cause poor contact between brush and commutator, promoting
commutator arcing damage.