Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multiple appliances on a fused spur

Hi

Hidden away in a cupboard I have two fused, switched, connection units
each of which supply an electric towel rail in an adjacent bathroom and
a cloakroom.

Inevitably no-one ever remembers to turn these things off, so I'm
contemplating getting the connection units replaced with some kind of
run-down timer, such as

http://www.sangamo.co.uk/web/site/Pr...owersaver1.asp

None of those kinds of gadgets seem to be fused, so I still need some
kind of fused spur off the ring main upstream of them. I'm also
assuming I need a separate timer for each of the two towel rails.

Question - any reason why I can't use a single fused connection unit to
supply both of these timers? That would already involve installing one
extra pattress box, and I really want to avoid having to add two.

But there are probably better solutions that I haven't thought of....

Regards

--
Roger Morton

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 1, 12:25 pm, ) wrote:
Hi

Hidden away in a cupboard I have two fused, switched, connection units
each of which supply an electric towel rail in an adjacent bathroom and
a cloakroom.

Inevitably no-one ever remembers to turn these things off, so I'm
contemplating getting the connection units replaced with some kind of
run-down timer, such as

http://www.sangamo.co.uk/web/site/Pr...owersaver1.asp

None of those kinds of gadgets seem to be fused, so I still need some
kind of fused spur off the ring main upstream of them. I'm also
assuming I need a separate timer for each of the two towel rails.

Question - any reason why I can't use a single fused connection unit to
supply both of these timers? That would already involve installing one
extra pattress box, and I really want to avoid having to add two.

Fused spurs can have an arbitrary number of appliances connected to
them. However, *all* the wiring must be rated for the full current
through the fuse. (And voltage drop calculations must assume that the
appliance at the end of the longest piece of wire is drawing all the
current.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

In ,
Martin Bonner wrote:

On Jul 1, 12:25 pm, ) wrote:

Question - any reason why I can't use a single fused connection

unit to
supply both of these timers? That would already involve installing

one
extra pattress box, and I really want to avoid having to add two.

Fused spurs can have an arbitrary number of appliances connected to
them. However, *all* the wiring must be rated for the full current
through the fuse. (And voltage drop calculations must assume that the
appliance at the end of the longest piece of wire is drawing all the
current.)

Thanks - I'd assumed (hoped) that was the answer, but I've googled
unsuccessfully for anything that explicitly says so.

Each of the towel rails is worth no more than 200-300 watts, yet both
of the existing fuses are 13A. I'm pretty sure a single 13A unit can
cope with both of them :-)

Thanks again

--
Roger Morton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 1, 1:38*pm, ((((DefaultRealName)))) wrote:
In ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
On Jul 1, 12:25 pm, ) wrote:

[...]

sounds fine, 240w is only 1A

NT

Fused spur VisionSet UK diy 3 June 27th 06 11:47 PM
More than 13A from fused spur mjb UK diy 5 February 23rd 06 08:28 AM
Fused spur & Part P F UK diy 7 February 25th 05 11:08 AM
16A fused spur Christian McArdle UK diy 19 October 14th 03 01:41 PM
fused spur c3p0 UK diy 5 September 25th 03 04:37 PM