Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating an old loft conversion

Hi,

We’ve just moved into a house which has a very old, uninsulated loft
conversion accessible from the first floor by a stairwell.

With fuel prices being what they are we’re keen to get some insulation
in place, but aren’t sure what to do for the best. We know the ideal
is to get the now-dilapidated conversion refreshed and to have
insulation boards etc put in at the same time, but we won’t have the
money for that for a few years.

What should we do in the meantime? Is it worth laying rolls of
insulation between the rafters in the loft and thereby preventing heat
loss through the ceilings of the first floor rooms? (The rafters were
reinforced when the loft conversion was done, so they're nice and
deep). But what about the big gapping stairwell which will funnel heat
out of the doors and up to the roof anyway. Is it worth the bother?
Can anyone think of any other options?

Any thoughts (on cheapish) solutions very welcome. (Incidentally, the
house already has cavity wall insulation).

Thanks

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

do you need to have the loft warm in the winter,
or could you just have downstairs warm?

and make an insulated hatch for the stairway?

insulating on the horizontal loft floor is a lot easier than a sloping roof,
and there's less area to insulate too,
less area for the heat to leak out of.

(last winter I only had one room warm,
i'm hoping to have a few more warmish next winter!)

--

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jun, 22:50, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
do you need to have the loft warm in the winter,
or could you just have downstairs warm?

and make an insulated hatch for the stairway?

insulating on the horizontal loft floor is a lot easier than a sloping roof,
and there's less area to insulate too,
less area for the heat to leak out of.

(last winter I only had one room warm,
i'm hoping to have a few more warmish next winter!)

--

That's what I was coming round to I guess. It's going to be a pretty
big loft hatch though!

Thanks

Steve

Insulating a loft conversion Francis[_2_] UK diy 5 November 27th 07 12:07 AM
What loft insulating material to use? David in Normandy UK diy 14 October 12th 07 01:15 PM
Insulating loft Adrian Simpson UK diy 18 March 6th 07 06:26 PM
Insulating a boarded loft [email protected] UK diy 17 October 25th 06 09:27 AM
Board Loft or Loft Conversion Justin Hughes UK diy 8 August 18th 04 01:42 PM