Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dee Dee is offline

Default Preparing an old ceiling for decoration with emulsion paint

I want to prepare a ceiling for decoration with emulsion paint.

The ceiling is skimmed plasterboard. It has previously been painted with
emulsion paint. Then it has had wallpaper pasted over it. Then it has had
the wallpaper taken off, using a steam wallpaper stripper.

At present, the ceiling in general has over its surface a variable, thin
film of wallpaper paste. Is it essential to remove by washing all the
wallpaper paste before applying fresh emulsion paint, or will a slight film
of wallpaper paste cause no problems for the emulsion paint?

Also, the steam wallpaper stripper has also removed irregular strips of the
original emulsion paint, thus leaving very shallow depressions in the
ceiling surface. The largest strip is around one metre long by five
centimetres wide. What are good ways of dealing with this problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 27, 1:01*pm, "Dee" wrote:
I want to prepare a ceiling for decoration with emulsion paint.

The ceiling is skimmed plasterboard. It has previously been painted with
emulsion paint. Then it has had wallpaper pasted over it. Then it has had
the wallpaper taken off, using a steam wallpaper stripper.

At present, the ceiling in general has over its surface a variable, thin
film of wallpaper paste. Is it essential to remove by washing all the
wallpaper paste before applying fresh emulsion paint, or will a slight film
of wallpaper paste cause no problems for the emulsion paint?

Yes, it is essential, unless you don't mind a rather uneven texture
and appearance. It's not hard to remove wallpaper paste - it's all
water-based, so just get a decorator's sponge and sugar soap and
you're in business.

Also, the steam wallpaper stripper has also removed irregular strips of the
original emulsion paint, thus leaving very shallow depressions in the
ceiling surface. The largest strip is around one metre long by five
centimetres wide. What are good ways of dealing with this problem?

The best way of dealing with both problems would be to line the
ceiling and paint over that. When I was a decorator I tended to line
all my jobs - you just get a much better finish that way. If you
don't want to line it, I suggest getting some Red Devil OneTime filler
and filling the shallow depressions. You might need to blind the
filler as it tends to print through emulsion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dee Dee is offline

wrote in message
On Jun 27, 1:01 pm, "Dee" wrote:
[...]

Thank you for sharing your experience. What would be OK to use to blind the
filler?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jun, 21:21, "Dee" wrote:
[...]
Thank you for sharing your experience. What would be OK to use to blind the
filler?

I've used normal undercoat recently. Seemed to work ok.

Edward

removing ceiling emulsion kent UK diy 10 March 13th 08 05:47 PM
removing ceiling emulsion kent UK diy 0 March 12th 08 02:01 PM
Preparing plaster for paint/paper CharlieR UK diy 9 June 23rd 06 10:59 AM
How do I seal flaking emulsion on ceiling? Keith \(Dorset\) UK diy 5 May 5th 05 12:46 PM
Preparing for masonry paint David UK diy 3 September 19th 03 05:51 PM