Thee_Psycho

Default Removing tile paint

We recently bought a new house and now the weather isn;t so great we can
turn our attention to the bathroom. The previous occupant had painted the
rather dis-pleasant tiles with what i hope is cream tile paint. however
there are a few bits they missed, its a bit rushed and its starting to flake
away. Does anyone know what I shoudl use to strip the tiles? I have had a
quick rub with white spririt, just to see what would happen. If you can get
under the paint you can scrape away pretty easily but some of the tiles have
a raised textured pattern.

Once I have stripped the tiles I need to repaint them as they were pretty
horrible, any one recomend a brand to use to repaint them? Are some colours
more forgiving? I can;t afford to retile at the moment, but will tile
adhesive bond to tile paint, as when do retile I may just tile over the
top.

Any Suggestions much appreciated

Rach

ben

Thee_Psycho wrote:

Once I have stripped the tiles I need to repaint them as they were pretty
horrible, any one recomend a brand to use to repaint them? Are some colours
more forgiving? I can;t afford to retile at the moment, but will tile
adhesive bond to tile paint, as when do retile I may just tile over the
top.

You have my sympathies. I hate tile paint. Someone had done a similarly
evil thing to the tiles in our bathroom, and it looked utterly awful. I
ripped the entire room out, and have just finished replacing. It's the
best thing I ever did...

I don't think you should try sticking tiles to tile paint -- the paint
just doesn't adhere well enough to the polished surface.

If you do manage to strip your tiles, have you thought about tiling over
with plain white tiles? They're relatively cheap, and they go with
pretty much anything. You can get them in various sizes and textures.

Ben.