Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default oil fired burner: smelly and needs servicing

Hello,

We have moved into a house with an oil fired CH/HW boiler and I'd like
to get it serviced, just to be sure everything is ok before the winter
(assuming we get a summer!).

It's very smelly. I've never had an oil boiler before. Are they always
smelly or does that suggest something is wrong? Surely the oil should
be inside so the smell should not come out?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:32:49 GMT, Stephen
wrote:

Hello,

We have moved into a house with an oil fired CH/HW boiler and I'd like
to get it serviced,

Sorry to add to my own post but I know that if I have a gas boiler
serviced I should use a CORGI person. Is there a similar scheme for
oil boilers? How can I be sure I get someone good? Is there an
organisation the engineer should be a member of?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hello,

We have moved into a house with an oil fired CH/HW boiler and I'd like
to get it serviced,

Sorry to add to my own post but I know that if I have a gas boiler
serviced I should use a CORGI person. Is there a similar scheme for
oil boilers? How can I be sure I get someone good? Is there an
organisation the engineer should be a member of?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I know when you write a query to Usernet, it is very easy to get
involved in the typing and forget to actually think about what the
answers are likely to be - in this case nobody will be able to give
you a recommendation because you haven't said where you live!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 21, 1:52*pm, robgraham wrote:

wrote:
Hello,

We have moved into a house with an oil fired CH/HW boiler and I'd like
to get it serviced,

Sorry to add to my own post but I know that if I have a gas boiler
serviced I should use a CORGI person. Is there a similar scheme for
oil boilers? How can I be sure I get someone good? Is there an
organisation the engineer should be a member of?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I know when you write a query to Usernet, it is very easy to get
involved in the typing and forget to actually think about what the
answers are likely to be - in this case nobody will be able to give
you a recommendation because you haven't said where you live!

Rob

Stephen wasn't asking for recommendations for an actual tradesman so I
don't think his location is important.

To answer the question, OFTEC is the oil equivalent of CORGI:- www.oftec.org

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

To answer the question, OFTEC is the oil equivalent of CORGI:-www.oftec.org

Yup. Some heating oil suppliers also offer servicing, and at a
discount if they supply your oil.

A slight smell around the storage tank may be normal (from the air
vent), but a domestic boiler shouldn't smell (old fashioned Aga/
Rayburns with evaporative burners might).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:32:49 GMT, Stephen wrote:

It's very smelly. I've never had an oil boiler before. Are they always
smelly or does that suggest something is wrong? Surely the oil should
be inside so the smell should not come out?

Define "very smelly"? Ours occasionally has a smell of oil and very slight
warm iron oil smell.

What type of boiler is it?

Floor/wall mounted? Conventional to balanced flue?

OFTEC is the trade association. It's normally quite simple to service an
oil boiler but as this is the first time ina while that this boiler has
been looked at it's probably worth the £80 odd a service (inc routine
parts) should cost. This service should include a full clean and vacuum of
the combustion chamber, cleaning of the burner, cleaning/check of the
filter and fire isolator, replacement of the jet, cleaning and adjustment
of the ignition electrodes, smoke test of the flue gases (indicates
correct air flow) and flue gas temperature check (indicates the
effciency).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jun, 12:32, Stephen
wrote:
Hello,

We have moved into a house with an oil fired CH/HW boiler and I'd like
to get it serviced, just to be sure everything is ok before the winter
(assuming we get a summer!).

It's very smelly. I've never had an oil boiler before. Are they always
smelly or does that suggest something is wrong? Surely the oil should
be inside so the smell should not come out?

Thanks,
Stephen.

1. No they are not always smelly.

2. Your oil supplier may have a service department but equally you may
have independant service technicians in your area, who are probably
cheaper, and more inclined to do a better job as high efficiency sells
less oil.

3. There is a trade body - OFTEC but oil service does not at the
moment require a registed technician although OFTEC membership does
mean the guy has been assessed as competent once at least.

4. You have not told us what make and model your new boiler is

5. similarly - where are you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

We have moved into a house with an oil fired CH/HW boiler and I'd like
to get it serviced, just to be sure everything is ok before the winter
(assuming we get a summer!).

It's very smelly. I've never had an oil boiler before. Are they always
smelly or does that suggest something is wrong? Surely the oil should
be inside so the smell should not come out?

When I had a Stanley oil burner, I never smelled anything related to oil
- other than what I was cooking.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:22:46 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Define "very smelly"? Ours occasionally has a smell of oil and very slight
warm iron oil smell.

It smells of oil but only when it has been on.

What type of boiler is it?

Floor/wall mounted? Conventional to balanced flue?

It sits on the floor. I don't know about flues. How could I tell which
type it is? Would that make a difference?

OFTEC is the trade association. It's normally quite simple to service an
oil boiler but as this is the first time ina while that this boiler has
been looked at it's probably worth the £80 odd a service (inc routine
parts) should cost

I have looked at the Yellow Pages and whereas everyone lists their
corgi membership (because they have to) very few list oftec. I emailed
a couple that do but the only one to reply so far wanted £197!

I have not rushed to do anything because I have not had the CH on
recently.

BTW I am in Derby. I wasn't originally asking for a recommendation of
a firm, just how to find a reputable one, however personal
recommendation is the best way to find someone, so if anyone knows...

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Google for OFTEC.

Servicing Customers Art Electronics Repair 10 December 9th 07 02:55 AM
Smelly oil-fired stove KingoftheBungle UK diy 9 August 27th 07 07:59 PM
Smelly water from indirect-fired water heater Johnny Thunders Jr. Home Repair 2 June 6th 06 02:11 AM
saw servicing John G UK diy 12 October 19th 05 11:13 PM
Boiler servicing mr-vampy UK diy 5 May 29th 05 09:59 AM