Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making a ladder balancer

I'm constructing a ladder balancer,I've got the idea on paper but what to
use for the none slippage part underneath ie the base will be a 3/4 board
and its the underneath I'm worried about?

Basically the balancer is for working on minor slopes.

Will show a pic when its constructed.

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 19, 2:53*pm, "George" wrote:

I'm constructing a ladder balancer,I've got the idea on paper but what to
use for the none slippage part underneath ie the base will be a 3/4 board
and its the underneath I'm worried about?

Basically the balancer is for working on minor slopes.

Will show a pic when its constructed.

TIA

need to explain what design youre using. I just use a leg extension
and secure at the top, but it sounds like you're doing something
else..

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Jun 19, 2:53 pm, "George" wrote:

I'm constructing a ladder balancer,I've got the idea on paper but what to
use for the none slippage part underneath ie the base will be a 3/4 board
and its the underneath I'm worried about?

Basically the balancer is for working on minor slopes.

Will show a pic when its constructed.

TIA

need to explain what design youre using. I just use a leg extension
and secure at the top, but it sounds like you're doing something
else..

NT

A Platform type ie the ladders ends sits in individual recessed boxes and
only one of them is raisable via a couple of nut&bolts with a strong
tensioned spring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
I'm constructing a ladder balancer,I've got the idea on paper but
what to use for the none slippage part underneath ie the base will be
a 3/4 board and its the underneath I'm worried about?

Basically the balancer is for working on minor slopes.

Why not just buy a Ladder Mat?

http://www.f-w-c.co.uk/acatalog/Basic_Products.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
George wrote:
I'm constructing a ladder balancer,I've got the idea on paper but
what to use for the none slippage part underneath ie the base will be
a 3/4 board and its the underneath I'm worried about?

Basically the balancer is for working on minor slopes.

Why not just buy a Ladder Mat?

http://www.f-w-c.co.uk/acatalog/Basic_Products.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Nah! were's the DIY in buying? ;-) them mats won't do a varitey of different
levels where as a universal one will.

If this works then I'll think about marketing it. lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...
I'm constructing a ladder balancer,I've got the idea on paper but what to
use for the none slippage part underneath ie the base will be a 3/4 board
and its the underneath I'm worried about?

Basically the balancer is for working on minor slopes.

Will show a pic when its constructed.

TIA

Six of these should do it for stability on the base,55mm. ;-)
http://www.rubberfeet.co.uk/en/index...category&id=55

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...
I'm constructing a ladder balancer,I've got the idea on paper but what to
use for the none slippage part underneath ie the base will be a 3/4 board
and its the underneath I'm worried about?

Thick rubber sheet, such as switchboard matting, for hard surfaces. Holes
around the edges to take long tent-pegs or spikes on soft surfaces.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 19, 5:27*pm, "George" wrote:
wrote in message
On Jun 19, 2:53 pm, "George" wrote:

I'm constructing a ladder balancer,I've got the idea on paper but what to
use for the none slippage part underneath ie the base will be a 3/4 board
and its the underneath I'm worried about?

Basically the balancer is for working on minor slopes.

Will show a pic when its constructed.

TIA

need to explain what design youre using. I just use a leg extension
and secure at the top, but it sounds like you're doing something
else..

NT

A Platform type ie the ladders ends sits in individual recessed boxes and
only one of them is raisable via a couple of nut&bolts with a strong
tensioned spring.

rubber doorstops used as big feet should do nicely.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
I'm constructing a ladder balancer,I've got the idea on paper but
what to use for the none slippage part underneath ie the base will
be a 3/4 board and its the underneath I'm worried about?

Basically the balancer is for working on minor slopes.

Why not just buy a Ladder Mat?

http://www.f-w-c.co.uk/acatalog/Basic_Products.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Nah! were's the DIY in buying? ;-) them mats won't do a varitey of
different levels where as a universal one will.

Them mats can be used in amy combination & will cope with a 4" difference
between legs. Where are you working, the Andes?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

If this works then I'll think about marketing it. lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
I'm constructing a ladder balancer,I've got the idea on paper but
what to use for the none slippage part underneath ie the base will
be a 3/4 board and its the underneath I'm worried about?

Basically the balancer is for working on minor slopes.

Why not just buy a Ladder Mat?

http://www.f-w-c.co.uk/acatalog/Basic_Products.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Nah! were's the DIY in buying? ;-) them mats won't do a varitey of
different levels where as a universal one will.

Them mats can be used in amy combination & will cope with a 4" difference
between legs. Where are you working, the Andes?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Its more of a SAFTY aspect realy ie a decent size platform with shoes for
the ladders legs to fit in and at the same time leveling it.

Basically I don't trust meself 25ft up the ladder anymore on me tod. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Jun, 14:53, "George" wrote:
I'm constructing a ladder balancer,I've got the idea on paper but what to
use for the none slippage part underneath ie the base will be a 3/4 board
and its the underneath I'm worried about?

Basically the balancer is for working on minor slopes.

Will show a pic when its constructed.

TIA

Okay, I'm a little late on this discussion, but for the record...

I've got a Base Mate attached to the bottom of my ladder (http://
www.basemate.ca/). Its a Canadian product, but available from lots of
places in the UK . It is self-adjusting, works on a range of rough
ground and slopes, has very grippy feet, is easy to use, gives a rock-
steady platform, and is cheap (mine was 25UKP from ebay) - what more
could you want?

dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Okay, I'm a little late on this discussion, but for the record...

I've got a Base Mate attached to the bottom of my ladder (http://
www.basemate.ca/). Its a Canadian product, but available from lots of
places in the UK . It is self-adjusting, works on a range of rough
ground and slopes, has very grippy feet, is easy to use, gives a rock-
steady platform, and is cheap (mine was 25UKP from ebay) - what more
could you want?

dan.

One that works on green sloping hills,put that on a board and it'll slip
down the slope. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 19 Jun, 14:53, "George" wrote:
I'm constructing a ladder balancer,I've got the idea on paper but what to
use for the none slippage part underneath ie the base will be a 3/4 board
and its the underneath I'm worried about?

Basically the balancer is for working on minor slopes.

Will show a pic when its constructed.

TIA

Okay, I'm a little late on this discussion, but for the record...

I've got a Base Mate attached to the bottom of my ladder (http://
www.basemate.ca/). Its a Canadian product, but available from lots of
places in the UK . It is self-adjusting, works on a range of rough
ground and slopes, has very grippy feet, is easy to use, gives a rock-
steady platform, and is cheap (mine was 25UKP from ebay) - what more
could you want?

Quite a selection of ladder stabilisers on eBay. The only advert for
yours is at £34.99 plus postage and packing:

http://tinyurl.com/625zyc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message

On 19 Jun, 14:53, "George" wrote:
[...]

Something like that Bruce,but its clear no thought has been put into that
piece of garbage as it lacks one main ingrediant.
Anyhoo thats given me an idea of the pricing to work at. ;-)