Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pressure washer, any tips??

Ive borrowed someone pressure washer to attempt to clear the weeds from my
back garden paving, but i also might try using it on the monoblock drive at
the front, is there anything i should be aware of before i start this, ie
will i need to brush in new sand once finished as i get the feeling that its
just going to blow out whats there.

also whats the best way to go about pressure washing decking, the whole
decking needs cleaned and treated as it in a bit of a mess but not that old
i dont think (was there when we moved in a year ago)

cheers

pressure washing tips start here -----

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SandMan112 wrote:
Ive borrowed someone pressure washer to attempt to clear the weeds from
my back garden paving, but i also might try using it on the monoblock
drive at the front, is there anything i should be aware of before i
start this, ie will i need to brush in new sand once finished as i get
the feeling that its just going to blow out whats there.

also whats the best way to go about pressure washing decking, the whole
decking needs cleaned and treated as it in a bit of a mess but not that
old i dont think (was there when we moved in a year ago)

cheers

pressure washing tips start here -----

From experience...

Don't use a fine jet. It will displace any amount of weeds, mortar /
sand, dirt, moss, oil, etc. The problem is, it will do it in a very
localised area (i.e. the area of the jet). Then you're faced with trying
to match that, or blend it elsewhere. Same goes for decking.

Start with a fairly diffuse jet, and work out what your doing, take your
time.

And, yes, you are likely to need to replace sand etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Mike Dodd wrote:
SandMan112 wrote:
Ive borrowed someone pressure washer to attempt to clear the weeds
from my back garden paving, but i also might try using it on the
monoblock drive at the front, is there anything i should be aware of
before i start this, ie will i need to brush in new sand once
finished as i get the feeling that its just going to blow out whats
there.
also whats the best way to go about pressure washing decking, the
whole decking needs cleaned and treated as it in a bit of a mess but
not that old i dont think (was there when we moved in a year ago)
cheers
pressure washing tips start here -----

From experience...

Don't use a fine jet. It will displace any amount of weeds, mortar /
sand, dirt, moss, oil, etc. The problem is, it will do it in a very
localised area (i.e. the area of the jet). Then you're faced with
trying to match that, or blend it elsewhere. Same goes for decking.

Kärcher do an attachment ("Patio Cleaner" IIRC) that gives a much more
even finish, with less risk of removing pointing etc. I find it works
very well. Not sure how well it would work on weeds, though.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

Kärcher do an attachment ("Patio Cleaner" IIRC) that gives a much more

"T-Racer" seems to be the name it goes by now...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

Kärcher do an attachment ("Patio Cleaner" IIRC) that gives a much
more

"T-Racer" seems to be the name it goes by now...

Indeed it is. Tesco is giving away a pressure washer & T Racer with car
insurance innit.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, John Rumm wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

Kärcher do an attachment ("Patio Cleaner" IIRC) that gives a much more

"T-Racer" seems to be the name it goes by now...

That's the one. It also keeps the spray down, which I'm sure is better
for the health of the operator.

Actually I'm pretty sure it won't get the weeds out of the cracks on the
OP's patio (one of the points is that it *doesn't* lift stuff out of
cracks), but it will be good for the deck. Careful spot application of
the lance (or even a trowel), before the T-Racer, would be the way to go
I think.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

In uk.d-i-y, John Rumm wrote:

"T-Racer" seems to be the name it goes by now...

That's the one. It also keeps the spray down, which I'm sure is better
for the health of the operator.

Actually I'm pretty sure it won't get the weeds out of the cracks on the
OP's patio

It worked pretty well on my block paving. The only problem I had
was that some sand seemed to work its way into the bearings and
stopped the spray bar rotating, until I had cleaned it out.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SandMan112" wrote in message
Ive borrowed someone pressure washer to attempt to clear the weeds from my
back garden paving, but i also might try using it on the monoblock drive
at the front, is there anything i should be aware of before i start this,
ie will i need to brush in new sand once finished as i get the feeling
that its just going to blow out whats there.

also whats the best way to go about pressure washing decking, the whole
decking needs cleaned and treated as it in a bit of a mess but not that
old i dont think (was there when we moved in a year ago)

cheers

pressure washing tips start here -----

Two comments:
- Don't underestimate the mess you might make of everything other than your
paving. Mud splattered in all directions at high speed tends to cause a
mess (to yourself and everything around you).
- Do wear googles. You will manage to get the jet reflected on something
right into your face at some point.