John Laird

Default Watch battery life

(Hmm, slightly OT but this is one of the more knowledgeable groups around)

After a recent trip to Maplin to rejuvenate my 4 analogue watches (4
*different* tiny silver oxide batteries, too), I paused to wonder whether it
isn't a bad idea to leave the adjuster screw pulled out when not in use ?

This stops the hands moving on all of them, and while it may not actually
cut the supply to the electronics(*), presumably not having to turn the
mechanism may prolong the battery life ?

(*) Don't have a multi-meter anywhere near sensitive enough to test this,
even the largest cell has a capacity of only 30mAh. Divided by at least a
year, that's hum 24*365 hrs, call it 10000, so er, 3 microamps !

--
Some people have one of those days. I have one of those lives.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Grunff

John Laird wrote:

(Hmm, slightly OT but this is one of the more knowledgeable groups around)

After a recent trip to Maplin to rejuvenate my 4 analogue watches (4
*different* tiny silver oxide batteries, too), I paused to wonder whether it
isn't a bad idea to leave the adjuster screw pulled out when not in use ?

This stops the hands moving on all of them, and while it may not actually
cut the supply to the electronics(*), presumably not having to turn the
mechanism may prolong the battery life ?

I /think/ that pulling out the adjuster only disengages the
drive, rather than disconnecting the motor. Could be wrong.

--
Grunff

dg

You can pick up watch batteries for about £1 - even less if you buy a few at
once.

So is it worth it for the sake of £1 every 18 months?

dg

"John Laird" wrote in message
(Hmm, slightly OT but this is one of the more knowledgeable groups around)

After a recent trip to Maplin to rejuvenate my 4 analogue watches (4
*different* tiny silver oxide batteries, too), I paused to wonder whether

it
isn't a bad idea to leave the adjuster screw pulled out when not in use ?

This stops the hands moving on all of them, and while it may not actually
cut the supply to the electronics(*), presumably not having to turn the
mechanism may prolong the battery life ?

(*) Don't have a multi-meter anywhere near sensitive enough to test this,
even the largest cell has a capacity of only 30mAh. Divided by at least a
year, that's hum 24*365 hrs, call it 10000, so er, 3 microamps !

--
Some people have one of those days. I have one of those lives.

Mail john rather than nospam...

Martin

"John Laird" wrote in message
(Hmm, slightly OT but this is one of the more knowledgeable groups around)

After a recent trip to Maplin to rejuvenate my 4 analogue watches (4
*different* tiny silver oxide batteries, too), I paused to wonder whether

it
isn't a bad idea to leave the adjuster screw pulled out when not in use ?

This stops the hands moving on all of them, and while it may not actually
cut the supply to the electronics(*), presumably not having to turn the
mechanism may prolong the battery life ?

(*) Don't have a multi-meter anywhere near sensitive enough to test this,
even the largest cell has a capacity of only 30mAh. Divided by at least a
year, that's hum 24*365 hrs, call it 10000, so er, 3 microamps !

--
Some people have one of those days. I have one of those lives.

Mail john rather than nospam...

It'll make sod-all difference to the batter life,
what's more important is where you buy them and how they have been stored.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
John Laird wrote:
This stops the hands moving on all of them, and while it may not actually
cut the supply to the electronics(*), presumably not having to turn the
mechanism may prolong the battery life ?

My Seiko battery lasts for about 5 years, so I don't think I could be
bothered. ;-)

--
*The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

John Laird

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:52:13 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
wrote:

what's more important is where you buy them and how they have been stored

I buys em in Maplin and I ain't gotta clue ;-)

--
Are you still here? The message is over. Shoo! Go away!

Mail john rather than nospam...
Ray

"John Laird" wrote in message
I paused to wonder whether it
isn't a bad idea to leave the adjuster screw pulled out when not in use ?

Just as a bit of levity John, do you by any chance squeak when you walk?

John Laird

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:23:33 GMT, "Ray" wrote:

"John Laird" wrote in message
.. .
I paused to wonder whether it
isn't a bad idea to leave the adjuster screw pulled out when not in use ?

Just as a bit of levity John, do you by any chance squeak when you walk?

Only on a full moon.

--
John
Dave Plowman

In article ,
John Laird wrote:
what's more important is where you buy them and how they have been
stored

I buys em in Maplin and I ain't gotta clue ;-)

I'd expect they have a fair turnover and keep them in decent conditions.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Colin Wilson

Just as a bit of levity John, do you by any chance squeak when you walk?

I thought it was only me who used that phrase ;-)

The Natural Philosopher

John Laird wrote:

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:23:33 GMT, "Ray" wrote:

"John Laird" wrote in message
. ..

I paused to wonder whether it
isn't a bad idea to leave the adjuster screw pulled out when not in use ?

Just as a bit of levity John, do you by any chance squeak when you walk?

Only on a full moon.

I only walk on empty moons, otherwise the gravity gets you.

John Laird

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 00:09:35 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

Just as a bit of levity John, do you by any chance squeak when you walk?

I thought it was only me who used that phrase ;-)

I'm a Scot. It's like water off a duck's back.

--
Mail john rather than nospam...
Thomas Prufer

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:28:32 +0100, John Laird
wrote:

This stops the hands moving on all of them, and while it may not actually
cut the supply to the electronics(*), presumably not having to turn the
mechanism may prolong the battery life ?

Maybe putting the watch in the freezer would cool the battery so much
it would stop, and so last longer?

Thomas Prufer
geoff

In message , Dave Plowman
writes
In article ,
John Laird wrote:
what's more important is where you buy them and how they have been
stored

I buys em in Maplin and I ain't gotta clue ;-)

I'd expect they have a fair turnover and keep them in decent conditions.

At 10/about a quid, from CPC, you probably wouldn't need to buy any more
batteries again (expecting technology to have moved on sufficiently by
then)

--
geoff

Cooker Hood Carbon Filter Life? NatterJak UK diy 4 August 25th 03 05:29 PM
Battery Voltage spec Andrew McKay UK diy 10 August 21st 03 11:42 PM
life cycle of the ant? Harry UK diy 14 August 7th 03 01:40 PM
Rotozip & battery drill. IMM UK diy 2 July 28th 03 10:11 PM
Car and Motorcycle Battery Tips Bill Darden UK diy 4 July 15th 03 03:49 PM