Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wickes metal doors

Hello,

I see Wickes sell two doors in the doors and windows/exterior
doors/metal doors section but they both appear to have the same
dimensions and be the same size! What is the difference? Is one
left-hand opening and one right-hand opening?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Exterior-Met...et/invt/207546
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Exterior-Met...et/invt/207654

Has anyone used these? I was drawn to them because they were cheaper
than the pvc yet they do not look metallic, so I presume they are
either painted or coated with something?

What do you think of them (it is for a door into my garage BTW).

Do they both open internally? I would prefer one that opens outwards;
could I fit one of these back to front?

Thanks.
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:06:12 GMT, Stephen
wrote:

Do they both open internally? I would prefer one that opens outwards;
could I fit one of these back to front?

Wickes have said they are only weatherproof from one side so they
cannot be fitted back to front. Thinking about it, most people I know
have internally opening doors. I presume that is to stop the wind
slamming them shut. Do outward opening doors exist?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Do they both open internally? I would prefer one that opens outwards;
could I fit one of these back to front?

Wickes have said they are only weatherproof from one side so they
cannot be fitted back to front. Thinking about it, most people I know
have internally opening doors. I presume that is to stop the wind
slamming them shut. Do outward opening doors exist?

It is easier to design a door to open outwards as far as the
weatherproofing goes, in fact its hard to see how a door could not be
such from the open-toward-you side given the rebates etc. I guess
around hinges may be an issue.
T'would be interesting to look at these doors.
Front doors are usually open inwards, but often sheltered under an
arch etc. Back doors often open outwards.
I have an open outwards door fitted back to front at the moment but it
is sheltered and in a temporary plywood wall anyway. Weather proofing
has to rely totally on any seals rather than an overhang.
Simon.

Screwfix/Wickes garage doors robert UK diy 0 May 2nd 08 11:42 PM
Piggin Wickes Doors david lang UK diy 26 December 11th 05 08:54 PM
French Doors - Wickes john UK diy 1 July 24th 05 11:23 PM
Wickes patio doors mj UK diy 8 September 14th 04 08:19 PM