Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Driveway gates

Im looking for a firm that can do substantial bespoke driveway gates
preferably in oak.
I have googled this but was wondering if anyone has had personnel
experience of getting gates made, and who they used.
The diy element in this will be me building the pillars to hang them.
Thanks
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PW wrote:
Im looking for a firm that can do substantial bespoke driveway gates
preferably in oak.
I have googled this but was wondering if anyone has had personnel
experience of getting gates made, and who they used.
The diy element in this will be me building the pillars to hang them.
Thanks
Peter

Pretty sure Clarkes at Walsham le Willows will do trad gates and posts
in oak.

Try a google and phone call. Not much on the web site as such.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
PW wrote:
Im looking for a firm that can do substantial bespoke driveway gates
preferably in oak.
I have googled this but was wondering if anyone has had personnel
experience of getting gates made, and who they used.
The diy element in this will be me building the pillars to hang them.

Dunno if they do oak, but Jacksons do some impressive gates. I know a few
people who have used them and been very impressed.

We have one of their fences - pretty good stuff and virtually rot proof (I
know of a few of their fences that have been up for 15 years and no sign
of rot)

Might be worth getting a catalogue?

http://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 17:47:25 +0100, PW wrote:

I have googled this but was wondering if anyone has had personnel
experience of getting gates made, and who they used.

Where are you? I've had three gates made by a place in Hexham. Tannelised
softwood but well constructed and none have dropped or had anything go
wrong with them in not far short of 10 years. No hint of rot anywhere.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Jun 08 20:31:26 GMT, dmc wrote:

Dunno if they do oak, but Jacksons do some impressive gates.

At impressive prices to!

My three gates (14' field, 6' and 4' side) came to less than the cost of
just the field gate from Jacksons. All of my gates where made to fit the
openings and to my design, not stock sizes and the opening made to fit the
gate.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PW wrote in message
Im looking for a firm that can do substantial bespoke driveway gates
preferably in oak.
I have googled this but was wondering if anyone has had personnel
experience of getting gates made, and who they used.
The diy element in this will be me building the pillars to hang them.
Thanks
Peter

A neighbour had gates made and fitted by
http://www.oakleafgates.co.uk
which I think were to his own design.
the quality and finish of the joinery is superb as was the fitting team
apparently.
If you intend building your own pillars I hope you have taken into
consideration the weight of these gates, the larger ones are over 500Kg
each.
I suppose you do realise who much these are likely to cost?
Most of the quality gate manufactures supply very glossy brochures, so I
would send of for a few.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote in message
ll.net...
On Thu, 05 Jun 08 20:31:26 GMT, dmc wrote:

Dunno if they do oak, but Jacksons do some impressive gates.

At impressive prices to!

LOL
God only knows what you will think of the prices on the link that I sent
then

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:55:16 GMT, Mark wrote:

Dunno if they do oak, but Jacksons do some impressive gates.

At impressive prices to!

God only knows what you will think of the prices on the link that I sent
then

Good grief what are they making them out of? I can't remember how much I
paid for our three gates but it was around £500.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:55:16 GMT, Mark wrote:

Dunno if they do oak, but Jacksons do some impressive gates.
At impressive prices to!

God only knows what you will think of the prices on the link that I sent
then

Good grief what are they making them out of? I can't remember how much I
paid for our three gates but it was around £500.

Well, I made 5 bridle gates (each about 5') for my land about 5 years
ago. I used oak from a friend who has a local timber yard (very
reasonable prices). Each gate cost me approx £110 for the wood and fixings.

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote in message
ll.net...
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:55:16 GMT, Mark wrote:

Dunno if they do oak, but Jacksons do some impressive gates.

At impressive prices to!

God only knows what you will think of the prices on the link that I sent
then

Good grief what are they making them out of? I can't remember how much I
paid for our three gates but it was around £500.

I think the prices include fitting
The larger driveway gates are made of 4ins oak they look even more
impressive in the flesh then on the web page, really beautifully made.
They also give you work plans and specification drawings before you proceed
with an order so a bit of a A Hall firm, but I cant knock the quality of the
finished product.
Oh they also exhibit at Chelsea flower show, so +25% snobs value.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 21:40:03 GMT, Mark wrote:

Good grief what are they making them out of? I can't remember how much
paid for our three gates but it was around £500.

I think the prices include fitting

For that price I hope it includes from cutting the sod to put the
post/pillars in to final installation and 12 month check up. Gates do drop
once installed, even the best made ones. Maybe not much 1/8" over 13' or
less but enough to require adjustment of the hinges.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Garden Gates diy-newby UK diy 20 November 19th 07 10:07 AM
HANGING DRIVEWAY GATES Barnsey UK diy 5 July 18th 05 05:10 PM
DRIVEWAY GATES IN SOUTHEAST Barnsey UK diy 4 July 14th 05 07:08 PM
gates dave UK diy 4 April 12th 05 09:56 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 8th 03 11:38 PM