Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Open-flue Gas Appliance in Compartment - Ventilation Requirements

We currently have an older gas boiler which is open-flue. It is in a
cupboard (all right, a compartment) which has a door.

We wish to replace this door (because it is tatty). But we need to fit
ventilation grilles. I *know* I found calculations for the requirements
somewhere when last I looked. Now I can't. (I just find references to
sites which have the information for a fee such as BSI.)

The boiler is something like 12 to 15 KW. We need to provide air inflow
for combustion plus air in/out for moderating the temperature in the
cupboard. (I *know* we should get a condensing boiler... :-) )

What effective area ventilation grilles are required? Or where can I
find the calaculations?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:58:02 +0100, Rod wrote:

What effective area ventilation grilles are required? Or where can I
find the calaculations?

Should be in Part L of the Building Regs (see uk-d-i-y faq wiki for links)
or in the bootleg BS5440-1:2000 kicking around as a torrent on th'interwub

--
John Stumbles

The clairvoyants' meeting has been cancelled due to unforseen circumstances.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:58:02 +0100, Rod wrote:

What effective area ventilation grilles are required? Or where can I
find the calaculations?

Should be in Part L of the Building Regs (see uk-d-i-y faq wiki for links)
or in the bootleg BS5440-1:2000 kicking around as a torrent on th'interwub

Start by checking the boiler's installation instructions
if you still have them. They override anything else.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Start by checking the boiler's installation instructions
if you still have them. They override anything else.

Not a hope! At least two owners ago.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 16:19:35 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:58:02 +0100, Rod wrote:

What effective area ventilation grilles are required? Or where can I
find the calaculations?

Should be in Part L of the Building Regs (see uk-d-i-y faq wiki for
links) or in the bootleg BS5440-1:2000 kicking around as a torrent on
th'interwub

Ventilation is in BS 5440-2 - Someone very nicely made these available
to the public the other year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
We currently have an older gas boiler which is open-flue. It is in a
cupboard (all right, a compartment) which has a door.

We wish to replace this door (because it is tatty). But we need to fit
ventilation grilles. I *know* I found calculations for the requirements
somewhere when last I looked. Now I can't. (I just find references to
sites which have the information for a fee such as BSI.)

The boiler is something like 12 to 15 KW. We need to provide air inflow
for combustion plus air in/out for moderating the temperature in the
cupboard. (I *know* we should get a condensing boiler... :-) )

What effective area ventilation grilles are required? Or where can I
find the calaculations?

--
Rod

onset.

A compartment ventilated to a room or internal space requires 10 cm2 per
kilowatt (net) of the boiler maximum rated input at high level. Low level
requires 20 cm2 per kilowatt (net)
You should find the rating information on the plate fixed to the boiler.
Grills should be non closable and not covered in any mesh/flyscreen etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Heliotrope Smith wrote:

A compartment ventilated to a room or internal space requires 10 cm2 per
kilowatt (net) of the boiler maximum rated input at high level. Low level
requires 20 cm2 per kilowatt (net)
You should find the rating information on the plate fixed to the boiler.
Grills should be non closable and not covered in any mesh/flyscreen etc.

Thanks all. I couldn't get any torrents to start d/l. :-(

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 16:45:57 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Start by checking the boiler's installation instructions if you still
have them. They override anything else.

My boilers installation and user manuals were on their web site (vokera)
- you could try that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Start by checking the boiler's installation instructions
if you still have them. They override anything else.

Not a hope! At least two owners ago.

What appliance is it ?

There's an outside chance I will have the manual for it

.... or can lay my hands on one

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

geoff wrote:
In message , Rod
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Start by checking the boiler's installation instructions
if you still have them. They override anything else.

Not a hope! At least two owners ago.

What appliance is it ?

There's an outside chance I will have the manual for it

.... or can lay my hands on one

IIRC Poxi-Batterton Kingfisher? - maybe Kingfisher 2 or something.
Cupboard is dark so do not wish to look right now. :-)

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 23:26:23 +0100, Rod wrote:

There's an outside chance I will have the manual for it

.... or can lay my hands on one

IIRC Poxi-Batterton Kingfisher? - maybe Kingfisher 2 or something.
Cupboard is dark so do not wish to look right now. :-)

There's also a torrent of boiler manuals. Try googling 'GAM torrent' for
starters. You can select which files you download from the almost 2 gigs
total size of the torrent.

--
John Stumbles

What is a simile like?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Rod
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Start by checking the boiler's installation instructions
if you still have them. They override anything else.

Not a hope! At least two owners ago.

What appliance is it ?
There's an outside chance I will have the manual for it
.... or can lay my hands on one

IIRC Poxi-Batterton Kingfisher? - maybe Kingfisher 2 or something.
Cupboard is dark so do not wish to look right now. :-)

You might be in luck there

ring me tomorrow

01923 229224

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Although common it frequently goes undiagnosed. www.thyromind.info
www.thyroiduk.org www.altsupportthyroid.org

A compartment ventilated to a room or internal space requires 10 cm2 per
kilowatt (net) of the boiler maximum rated input at high level. Low
level requires 20 cm2 per kilowatt (net)
You should find the rating information on the plate fixed to the boiler.
Grills should be non closable and not covered in any mesh/flyscreen
etc.

That will be a slight over estimate. Pretty much all appliances are
quoted in gross. So 9 and 18 are the figures. Also the combustion air
supply is required to the room containing the compartment. This is 4.5cm2/
kW (from outside air), but the first 7kW are discounted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Not an estimate, but the figures stated in the regulations.
I did add in my post that the figures are net so of course divide 1.11 if
input is stated gross to give the required size of vents.
You are a little out of date with combustion air supply sizing. This has
been 5cm2 per kW (-7kW) for some time now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

geoff wrote:

You might be in luck there

ring me tomorrow

Sorry - didn't manage to call but thanks for offering.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 20:23:58 +0100, Heliotrope Smith wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

That will be a slight over estimate. Pretty much all appliances are
quoted in gross. So 9 and 18 are the figures. Also the combustion air
supply is required to the room containing the compartment. This is 4.5cm2/
kW (from outside air), but the first 7kW are discounted.

Not an estimate, but the figures stated in the regulations.
I did add in my post that the figures are net so of course divide 1.11 if
input is stated gross to give the required size of vents.
You are a little out of date with combustion air supply sizing. This has
been 5cm2 per kW (-7kW) for some time now.

which, funnily enough, gets you to 4.5 cm^2

--
John Stumbles

Procrastinate now!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

That will be a slight over estimate. Pretty much all appliances are
quoted in gross. So 9 and 18 are the figures. Also the combustion air
supply is required to the room containing the compartment. This is 4.5cm2/
kW (from outside air), but the first 7kW are discounted.

Not an estimate, but the figures stated in the regulations.
I did add in my post that the figures are net so of course divide 1.11 if
input is stated gross to give the required size of vents.
You are a little out of date with combustion air supply sizing. This has
been 5cm2 per kW (-7kW) for some time now.

which, funnily enough, gets you to 4.5 cm^2

That bit is already sorted. Thanks for pointing it out though.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

That will be a slight over estimate. Pretty much all appliances are
quoted in gross. So 9 and 18 are the figures. Also the combustion air
supply is required to the room containing the compartment. This is

4.5cm2/
kW (from outside air), but the first 7kW are discounted.

Not an estimate, but the figures stated in the regulations.
I did add in my post that the figures are net so of course divide 1.11

if
input is stated gross to give the required size of vents.
You are a little out of date with combustion air supply sizing. This has
been 5cm2 per kW (-7kW) for some time now.

which, funnily enough, gets you to 4.5 cm^2

You're right. Too much red stuff, should have realised ED was talking in old
money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

That will be a slight over estimate. Pretty much all appliances are
quoted in gross. So 9 and 18 are the figures. Also the combustion
air supply is required to the room containing the compartment. This
is

4.5cm2/
kW (from outside air), but the first 7kW are discounted.

Not an estimate, but the figures stated in the regulations. I did
add in my post that the figures are net so of course divide 1.11

if
input is stated gross to give the required size of vents. You are a
little out of date with combustion air supply sizing. This has been
5cm2 per kW (-7kW) for some time now.

which, funnily enough, gets you to 4.5 cm^2

You're right. Too much red stuff, should have realised ED was talking in
old money.

Which still seems to be the currency. Almost no gas appliance I've seen
in the last few years new or old uses the 'new' money.