Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damp problem

Okay - you people have always given me good advice (not necessarily
advice I want to hear but good all the same) so try this one

3 years ago we had an extension built. A single storey extension which
lean to the front of the house and has a normal /\ type roof at the side
of the house. When the weather is damp/humid there's a smell of damp in
the house particularly in the new bits. What could be causing this?

To give more information. The flashing on the extension looks okay but
what do I know... On the front it goes into the wall as normal between
bricks. On the side of the house though the builder used a power tool to
cut a line in the bricks and then put the flashing in there. I wasn't
worried about this at the time as I'd seen it in lots of other houses
around here. However now I'm not so sure. Where the extension joins on
the side there is definitely a leak as small marks have appeared on the
beam separating the house from the new part. However there is no sign of
water damage at the front of the house although it still smells and a
dehumidifier on for a few hours gets rid of the smell.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Presumably its worse when its pi**ing down although you do not mention this?

Have you checked if there is damage to the flashing?

Is there movement of the extension away from the house?

What sort of beam is it (could the marks be caused by condensation on it)?

Is there adequate ventilation in the room at all times?

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

It is possible that the lead flashing is pushed deep enough into the mortar
joint and and not properly wedged and sealed (and is certain that there are
no cavity trays fitted see link http://www.cavitytrays.co.uk/ ) which means
water could be permeating down the external of the house into the now
internal wall of the extension (if you can picture what I am trying to say)
and causing the musty smell and staining.

This is just a guess having not seen the problem.

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tanner-'op wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Correction to:

"It is possible that the lead flashing is pushed deep enough".

That should read "is *NOT* pushed deep enough... (damn fingers again)!

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you need a good look round to see where water's
getting in. Hope youve got access to the loft.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

If only - the ceiling at the front part of the house slopes with the
roof so no way in there. The side part of the extension is a flat
ceiling with no access. Both the architect and the builders "persuaded"
me I didn't need access as it would spoil the look of the thing. I'm
tempted to put a hatch in there anyway - extra storage and find out
where the water's coming through
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tanner-'op wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Thanks - I know nothing about lead flashing - except that I've not had a
problem with it before. I can only assume it's the flashing causing the
problem as it's most likely to be where the house joins on to the original.

Can't see on that site. What are cavity trays? Is it possible they're
missing so water is dripping down through the cavity into the extension.
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:
"John" wrote in message
[...]

Actually no - the smell is worse when the weather is humid. The damp
patches are only visible in a small part of the extension towards the
lower part of the roof

Have you checked if there is damage to the flashing?

it looks okay - no cracks/holes. Whether it's fitted properly or not I'm
not totally sure of what I'm looking for there so may be not.

Is there movement of the extension away from the house?

no

What sort of beam is it (could the marks be caused by condensation on it)?

it was a dirty great metal thing that I couldn't even lift one end of

Is there adequate ventilation in the room at all times?

We tend to have windows open most of the time. Plus at the moment we
haven't got a door fitted to that room - it's on the list of things to do...
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 9:26*am, John wrote:
wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

Adding a hatch is not too hard, but is one of those jobs that takes
longer than it should considering the result obtained. You should get
in ok without altering the ceiling timberwork, but a full size loft
hatch generally requires cutting a joist and resupporting it with 2
cross pieces.

NT