Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default retaining wall + fence

I am looking for ideas for a retaining wall. It has to be around 1.25mtr
high and about 20mtr long which I spose is simple enough but I need to put a
5' fence up too. Ideally I would like to put the fence on top of the wall
but I could make do with the fence being slightly back from the wall. I have
included a crude diagram below. I was thinking about those interlocking
blocks but it seems that they are for smaller walls mostly and I dont think
they would support the fence properly. maybe gabions?

| fence

--|\
| \
soil | \ retaining wall
| \_______

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dwayne & Angela wrote:
I am looking for ideas for a retaining wall. It has to be around 1.25mtr
high and about 20mtr long which I spose is simple enough but I need to put a
5' fence up too. Ideally I would like to put the fence on top of the wall
but I could make do with the fence being slightly back from the wall. I have
included a crude diagram below. I was thinking about those interlocking
blocks but it seems that they are for smaller walls mostly and I dont think
they would support the fence properly. maybe gabions?

| fence

--|\
| \
soil | \ retaining wall
| \_______

There is quite a bit about retaining walls at the paving expert site.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 20:59, "Dwayne & Angela"
wrote:
I am looking for ideas for a retaining wall. It has to be around 1.25mtr
high and about 20mtr long which I spose is simple enough but I need to put a
5' fence up too. Ideally I would like to put the fence on top of the wall
but I could make do with the fence being slightly back from the wall. I have
included a crude diagram below. I was thinking about those interlocking
blocks but it seems that they are for smaller walls mostly and I dont think
they would support the fence properly. maybe gabions?

| fence

--|\
| \
soil | \ retaining wall
| \_______

Do your homework on this wall - that's quite a reasonable height and
will need a bit a knowledge as to the quality of the founds, width of
the base, etc. You will also have to bear in mind that drainage is
necessary - build up of water behind the wall will add a lot of
pressure and bring it down. Also is it straight or curved - how long
is it and should it have buttresses ?

I went through all of this with a similar wall 10 years ago and found
the info OK then - don't have it now, but the must be plenty of it on
the web now.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 20:59, "Dwayne & Angela"
wrote:
I am looking for ideas for a retaining wall. It has to be around 1.25mtr
high and about 20mtr long which I spose is simple enough but I need to put a
5' fence up too. Ideally I would like to put the fence on top of the wall
but I could make do with the fence being slightly back from the wall. I have
included a crude diagram below. I was thinking about those interlocking
blocks but it seems that they are for smaller walls mostly and I dont think
they would support the fence properly. maybe gabions?

* * * * |
* * * * | *fence
* * * * |
* * * * |
* * *--|\
* * * *| *\
soil | * \ *retaining wall
* * * *| * *\_______

I built a retaining wall out of 10" sleepers (on their sides rather
than flat ) recently with 4" fenceposts in front supporting and fence
resting on sleepers it worked well would recomend ground anchors as
well in your case.
Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 20:59, "Dwayne & Angela"
wrote:
I am looking for ideas for a retaining wall. It has to be around 1.25mtr
high and about 20mtr long which I spose is simple enough but I need to put
5' fence up too. Ideally I would like to put the fence on top of the wall
but I could make do with the fence being slightly back from the wall. I
have
included a crude diagram below. I was thinking about those interlocking
blocks but it seems that they are for smaller walls mostly and I dont
think
they would support the fence properly. maybe gabions?

| fence

--|\
| \
soil | \ retaining wall
| \_______

I built a retaining wall out of 10" sleepers (on their sides rather
than flat ) recently with 4" fenceposts in front supporting and fence
resting on sleepers it worked well would recomend ground anchors as
well in your case.
Martin
------------------------------------
Thanks for the help everyone. I am thinking of doing it in concrete now and
making it look better with a crazy paving design or something which, if i do
it right will not look out of place with existing wall. Ideally I would like
to DIY it as the last time I got some builders in they ripped me off big
time and stole some stuff to boot. it has made me wary.

old retaining wall pat Home Repair 13 July 22nd 06 06:19 PM
Retaining wall rover Home Repair 1 July 31st 05 03:19 AM
Building a retaining wall next to house wall. Adam UK diy 3 May 24th 04 04:19 PM
Retaining wall (again) Neil Bush UK diy 0 March 10th 04 12:51 PM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM