Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Silicone and Gloss

Right, I tried to silicone round the bath today and I havent put enough on.
Is it ok to wait for it to dry then add some more to it to make it wider??

Also is there an art to glossing? I have undercoated (trade dulux) sanded
with soapy wet and dry then glossed, sanded again and re glossed. It still
looks lumpy.

Help please peeps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message

Also is there an art to glossing? I have undercoated (trade dulux) sanded
with soapy wet and dry then glossed, sanded again and re glossed. It still
looks lumpy.

Help please peeps

How do mean lumpy?
Silly question...did you brush down the sanded skirting after wet&dry?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message

Also is there an art to glossing? I have undercoated (trade dulux) sanded
with soapy wet and dry then glossed, sanded again and re glossed. It
still
looks lumpy.

Help please peeps

How do mean lumpy?
Silly question...did you brush down the sanded skirting after wet&dry?

Yes i did. I washed it down and also used tack cloth to remove any particles
george. I think its more brish strokes I can see. The gloss I find is
difficult to put on as its quite stodgy on the brush after a while. Can I
thin Dulux brilliant white trade gloss down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message

How do mean lumpy?
Silly question...did you brush down the sanded skirting after wet&dry?

Yes i did. I washed it down and also used tack cloth to remove any

particles
george. I think its more brish strokes I can see. The gloss I find is
difficult to put on as its quite stodgy on the brush after a while. Can I
thin Dulux brilliant white trade gloss down.

Is the gloss non drip? I never use this I alaways purchase the Liquid
gloss,when using liquid gloss I tend to warm the tin up beforehand and it
goes on a lot better and if warmed slightly and a GOOD brush will eliminate
brush strokes.
I havn't a clue why its stodgy? unless its out of date?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message

How do mean lumpy?
Silly question...did you brush down the sanded skirting after wet&dry?

Yes i did. I washed it down and also used tack cloth to remove any

particles
george. I think its more brish strokes I can see. The gloss I find is
difficult to put on as its quite stodgy on the brush after a while. Can I
thin Dulux brilliant white trade gloss down.

Is the gloss non drip? I never use this I alaways purchase the Liquid
gloss,when using liquid gloss I tend to warm the tin up beforehand and it
goes on a lot better and if warmed slightly and a GOOD brush will
eliminate
brush strokes.
I havn't a clue why its stodgy? unless its out of date?

Its just me I think. Brushes are Purdy, gloss is trade in date. Its liquid
gloss. Like I said its the way I am putting it on I think. Is there an art
to putting it on?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

[...]

Lol,well Sammy you're a woman I dare say you now how to put your make-up on
so whats the difference with paint. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

[...]

Hey I dont put that much on. I am not your missus lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote:

Its just me I think. Brushes are Purdy, gloss is trade in date. Its liquid
gloss. Like I said its the way I am putting it on I think. Is there an art
to putting it on?

Liquid gloss works very differently to non-drip. The idea of non drip
is to be able to put on more paint in one coat. If you put the same
amount of liquid gloss on, it will run and look "lumpy". So put less
on, and brush it out.

You put very little on, then brush it out evenly as far as it will go,
in a thin layer, before putting on more paint. Two thin coats are
better than one thicker one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Samantha Booth wrote:
"George" wrote in message
[...]

There most definitely is a technique, an art, in applying gloss. The
best I manage is when I brush out the paint before recharging the brush.
Careful to get an even, not-too-thick coat. On timber, generally follow
the grain of the underlying. Both underbrushing and overbrushing are not
good. Try to keep a wet edge - don't go back over when it has started
drying out.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message

Its just me I think. Brushes are Purdy, gloss is trade in date. Its

liquid
gloss. Like I said its the way I am putting it on I think. Is there an

art
to putting it on?

There most definitely is a technique, an art, in applying gloss. The
best I manage is when I brush out the paint before recharging the brush.
Careful to get an even, not-too-thick coat. On timber, generally follow
the grain of the underlying. Both underbrushing and overbrushing are not
good. Try to keep a wet edge - don't go back over when it has started
drying out.

--
Rod

onset.

The technique is basically how good you're at manipulating the brush.
This technique is also similair when applying paste to the wallpaper.