Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - White supremecy rules, in the bathroom?

Am I blind or it it impossible to get bathroom sanitaryware in anything
except white these days? Are we victim to the whims of the fashionmeisters?

I've just been around several sheds and all over the web and nothing but
white white white.

OK, some coloured suites *were* in very bad taste, but where're the peaches,
the light greens and the pinks?

Seriously... I might have to refit a bathroom, hence the interest...
Personally, I like peach. But whether that is a faux-pas or not, I'm
surprised by the apparent absence of choice.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Am I blind or it it impossible to get bathroom sanitaryware in anything
except white these days? Are we victim to the whims of the fashionmeisters?

I've just been around several sheds and all over the web and nothing but
white white white.

OK, some coloured suites *were* in very bad taste, but where're the peaches,
the light greens and the pinks?

Seriously... I might have to refit a bathroom, hence the interest...
Personally, I like peach. But whether that is a faux-pas or not, I'm
surprised by the apparent absence of choice.

Cheers

Tim

I really liked avocado...

sigh.

I even have fond memories of artex and woodchip.

It's all fashion.

Yesterdays hip is todays rip..it out and start over..

When I were a young man, white meant it was still the horrible Victorian
original crap(er)..you painted softwood, because otherwise it looked
vile and rotted..you covered stuff with Formica, because in a kitchen in
which people actually cooked, it was tougher than anything else, and
didn't give you food poisoning from old food trapped in the fibres.

You covered up thse victorian mouldings with hardboard, because they
reminded you of your grandmother, and all the dust in her house that
used to give you instant asthma, she not being able to afford a
housemaid any more, and being utterly incapable of even thinking of
using a duster herself.

Now its all urban chic, because no one can remember how truly awful it
really was in its original context. Unheated houses, taking a bath in a
tin basin of execrable frigidity, filled from a few kettles of water
boiled on a solid fuel hob... with lye soap..before assembling a
wardrobe consisting of thermal underwear, a shirt, thick worsted
trousers, knee high socks and garters, a woolen V neck pullover, a
waistcoat and a jacket, followed by an overcoat and a cap and scarf,
and gloves and thick boots before even venturing outside to walk to the bus.

We couldn't wait to install central heating, scrap all those dusty
'features' bin the nasty bath on legs, with its dust collecting exposed
pipework, and install a nice green bath all boxed in and free from dust
traps, and luxuriate in modern comfort and colour...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:35:55 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Am I blind or it it impossible to get bathroom sanitaryware in anything
except white these days? Are we victim to the whims of the fashionmeisters?

I've just been around several sheds and all over the web and nothing but
white white white.

OK, some coloured suites *were* in very bad taste, but where're the peaches,
the light greens and the pinks?

Seriously... I might have to refit a bathroom, hence the interest...
Personally, I like peach. But whether that is a faux-pas or not, I'm
surprised by the apparent absence of choice.

Cheers

Tim

Coloured bathroom suites are readily available but not in the sheds.
In descending order of price ...

- From designer bathroom suppliers
- From reclamation yards
- From ebay
- From auction rooms
- From the skip outside the auction room* when they didnt sell

Anna
--

~ ~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Am I blind or it it impossible to get bathroom sanitaryware in anything
except white these days? Are we victim to the whims of the
fashionmeisters?

I've just been around several sheds and all over the web and nothing but
white white white.

OK, some coloured suites *were* in very bad taste, but where're the
peaches,
the light greens and the pinks?

Seriously... I might have to refit a bathroom, hence the interest...
Personally, I like peach. But whether that is a faux-pas or not, I'm
surprised by the apparent absence of choice.

Cheers

There are supplies online, but you will pay big time!!:

http://www.bathroom-ceramics.co.uk/index.html

http://www.ekmpowershop5.com/ekmps/s...mware-16-c.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim S wrote:
Am I blind or it it impossible to get bathroom sanitaryware in anything
except white these days? Are we victim to the whims of the fashionmeisters?

I've just been around several sheds and all over the web and nothing but
white white white.

OK, some coloured suites *were* in very bad taste, but where're the peaches,
the light greens and the pinks?

Seriously... I might have to refit a bathroom, hence the interest...
Personally, I like peach. But whether that is a faux-pas or not, I'm
surprised by the apparent absence of choice.

As well as fashiomasters, there are some other reasons:

Easier for the B&Qs to source a bath from one manufacturer and a basin
from another and then sell as a suite.

Easier for you to do the same!

When the components are in different materials (china bog, plastic
basin, enamel bath) it is very hard to get a decent colour match - they
do pretty well in white but you can usually see clear differences in
other colours/materials.

The market appears to prefer choice in style rather than colour. I'd
guess a lot of us would prefer a choice of four different styles to
having the one style in four different colours. (Although reality seems
to end up with most styles looking like knock-offs of other styles.)

White is not going to trap you into a colour that is not appreciated by
anyone next year (or maybe, no-one except you).

I suggest that you accept the state and try to see how you can cast a
peachy effect around the room by decor, lighting, etc. Not what you want
- but possibly a necessary compromise.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Angela coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Tim S" wrote in message
Am I blind or it it impossible to get bathroom sanitaryware in anything
except white these days? Are we victim to the whims of the
fashionmeisters?

I've just been around several sheds and all over the web and nothing but
white white white.

OK, some coloured suites *were* in very bad taste, but where're the
peaches,
the light greens and the pinks?

Seriously... I might have to refit a bathroom, hence the interest...
Personally, I like peach. But whether that is a faux-pas or not, I'm
surprised by the apparent absence of choice.

Cheers

There are supplies online, but you will pay big time!!:

http://www.bathroom-ceramics.co.uk/index.html

http://www.ekmpowershop5.com/ekmps/s...mware-16-c.asp

That's very interesting, thanks. Might even be able to get a cistern with a
decent flush volume(!)

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Now its all urban chic, because no one can remember how truly awful it
really was in its original context. Unheated houses, taking a bath in a
tin basin of execrable frigidity, filled from a few kettles of water
boiled on a solid fuel hob... with lye soap..before assembling a
wardrobe consisting of thermal underwear, a shirt, thick worsted
trousers, knee high socks and garters, a woolen V neck pullover, a
waistcoat and a jacket, followed by an overcoat and a cap and scarf,
and gloves and thick boots before even venturing outside to walk to the
bus.

This Victorian house has a fireplace in every room except the bathroom.
Heating houses has been the norm pretty well since they were first built.

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Now its all urban chic, because no one can remember how truly awful it
really was in its original context. Unheated houses, taking a bath in a
tin basin of execrable frigidity, filled from a few kettles of water
boiled on a solid fuel hob... with lye soap..before assembling a
wardrobe consisting of thermal underwear, a shirt, thick worsted
trousers, knee high socks and garters, a woolen V neck pullover, a
waistcoat and a jacket, followed by an overcoat and a cap and scarf,
and gloves and thick boots before even venturing outside to walk to the
bus.

This Victorian house has a fireplace in every room except the bathroom.
Heating houses has been the norm pretty well since they were first built.

Open fires were never very effective at heating. Most of the heat escaped up
the chimney and the benefit from the radiant heat was offset from sitting in
the draught from the air needed to feed it.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 1:47*am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
You covered up thse victorian mouldings with hardboard, because they
reminded you of your grandmother, and all the dust in her house that
used to give you instant asthma, she not being able to afford a
housemaid any more, and being utterly incapable of even thinking of
using a duster herself.

Little bit off course there IMO, warm centrally heated houses with
soft furnishings and deep pile carpet are an ideal environment for
house dust mites.

Although they would have had rugs and horse hair upholstery, the open
fire would have kept allergen levels down.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar.me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

[...]

That's why they had screens to go behind the seats, to deflect the draught
around the sitter.
Fire side chairs with wings were a poor substitute.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

OK, some coloured suites *were* in very bad taste, but where're the peaches,
the light greens and the pinks?

The same colours that were in very bad taste you mean?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nightjar cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:
This Victorian house has a fireplace in every room except the
bathroom. Heating houses has been the norm pretty well since they were
first built.

Open fires were never very effective at heating. Most of the heat
escaped up the chimney and the benefit from the radiant heat was offset
from sitting in the draught from the air needed to feed it.

Rather better than nothing at all, though.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-26 17:08:06 +0100, Owain said:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Now its all urban chic, because no one can remember how truly awful it
really was in its original context. Unheated houses, taking a bath in a
tin basin of execrable frigidity, filled from a few kettles of water
boiled on a solid fuel hob... with lye soap..before assembling a
wardrobe consisting of thermal underwear, ...

Thermal underwear?

I can (just) remember when Damart was new and exciting, instead of
wooly long-johns.

Owain

I can remember when it was new, but it would be a stretch to say that
it was ever exciting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

OK, some coloured suites *were* in very bad taste, but where're the
peaches, the light greens and the pinks?

The same colours that were in very bad taste you mean?

I disagree sir.

The peach in my old flat went well with two different colour schemes and
went well with the wooden half-pannelling I put in (which was done in
antique pine). The avocado bathroom suite in my rented house is also quite
pleasant.

Maybe I'll give you the pink...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:
[...]

A "proper" Victorian crapper was outside - can you imagine that now(!) I
still remember the one at my great aunt's house in Putney...

you painted softwood, because otherwise it looked
vile and rotted..you covered stuff with Formica, because in a kitchen in
which people actually cooked, it was tougher than anything else, and
didn't give you food poisoning from old food trapped in the fibres.

You covered up thse victorian mouldings with hardboard,

check. But you did get the pleasure of uncovering them in teh late 70's
onwards. Probably the least destructive 50-60's "improvement",

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

Am I blind or it it impossible to get bathroom sanitaryware in anything
except white these days? Are we victim to the whims of the
fashionmeisters?

I've just been around several sheds and all over the web and nothing but
white white white.

OK, some coloured suites *were* in very bad taste, but where're the
peaches, the light greens and the pinks?

Seriously... I might have to refit a bathroom, hence the interest...
Personally, I like peach. But whether that is a faux-pas or not, I'm
surprised by the apparent absence of choice.

Cheers

Tim

Well, thanks for the most interesting debate. At least I know it's not me
being blind...

I'll go and buy a hideous pink bog now so I'll be "in there" come the next
fashion trend; mark my words...

Talking of which - remember when we laughed at flairs, girly hair on young
blokes and skateboards? All back again...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote in

A "proper" Victorian crapper was outside - can you imagine that
now(!) I still remember the one at my great aunt's house in Putney...

House I was born in shared its outside loo with three other houses - and you
try tell the young people of today...

....and yes, it was in Yorkshire.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-26 20:17:26 +0100, "PeterMcC" said:

Tim S wrote in

A "proper" Victorian crapper was outside - can you imagine that
now(!) I still remember the one at my great aunt's house in Putney...

House I was born in shared its outside loo with three other houses - and you
try tell the young people of today...

...and yes, it was in Yorkshire.

Sound of brass band playing the Largo from Dvorak's 9th symphony......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete C wrote:
On May 26, 1:47 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
You covered up thse victorian mouldings with hardboard, because they
reminded you of your grandmother, and all the dust in her house that
used to give you instant asthma, she not being able to afford a
housemaid any more, and being utterly incapable of even thinking of
using a duster herself.

Little bit off course there IMO, warm centrally heated houses with
soft furnishings and deep pile carpet are an ideal environment for
house dust mites.

My asthma dissappeared completely when I moved to college into centrally
heated rooms.

Although they would have had rugs and horse hair upholstery, the open
fire would have kept allergen levels down.

When and if they were lit, possibly.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

Not necesssarily. But I do remember a single holer with bucket, and
Elsans..still around today n fact Elsans.

you painted softwood, because otherwise it looked
vile and rotted..you covered stuff with Formica, because in a kitchen in
which people actually cooked, it was tougher than anything else, and
didn't give you food poisoning from old food trapped in the fibres.

You covered up thse victorian mouldings with hardboard,

check. But you did get the pleasure of uncovering them in teh late 70's
onwards. Probably the least destructive 50-60's "improvement",

No, I didnt get any plesaure uncovering them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

Pardon me, that was me mate. Had to ditch them to get a job tho.

and skateboards? All back again...

after my tie.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

The hair or the flairs?

Seriously - no offence intended, just an illustrative example ;-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

Now its all urban chic, because no one can remember how truly awful it
really was in its original context. Unheated houses, taking a bath in a
tin basin of execrable frigidity, filled from a few kettles of water
boiled on a solid fuel hob... with lye soap..before assembling a
wardrobe consisting of thermal underwear, a shirt, thick worsted
trousers, knee high socks and garters, a woolen V neck pullover, a
waistcoat and a jacket, followed by an overcoat and a cap and scarf,
and gloves and thick boots before even venturing outside to walk to the bus.

Where are the four Yorkshiremen?

Anyway, I reckon there's a future generation will grow up hearing tales
of how their parents had central heating, boundless hot water and
personal transport that cost buttons to run. These tales will evince
feelings of wonder and awe as the heavily muffle-up kids stare out of
ice-covered windows at a frozen landscape, wondering where the Gulf
Stream went.
They won't believe a word of it, of course; kids never do. But they
might have an avocado suite.

--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon coughed up some electrons that declared:

[...]

Carbon dioxide is the New Religion (TM). I don't think I've seen such
mindless zealotry since the last lot of catholics bashed the last lot of
prodestants - or whatever...

I'll be a whole lot more on board when someone can adequately demonstrate
that it's not just another random mid or long term weather cycle.

In the meantime, call me an infidel.

I had a go with the little flash animation on the BBC website, ah yes, this
one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...alc/html/1.stm

I said 80TWh fossil fuels (need some gas to allow fast ramp up generators
for load regulation - no idea if 80 is sufficient), 280TWh nuclear, 40TWh
renewable (lets pick sensible schemes here) and zero imports (because being
beholden to other people is Bad(TM).

The demand will not reduce. If anything, despite energy saving measures, the
demand will increase for other reasons (electric cars, more people,
whatever).

Apparently it means we need 31 new nuclear power stations. Better get on
with it then... Yes, I'm quite happy if some go in my back yard.

Oh look:

He's actually engaged his braincell. Allejyula!

Either that or we'd better go back to an agrerian lifestyle and throw away
all the toys...

Do I sound cynical?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim S saying
something like:

Apparently it means we need 31 new nuclear power stations. Better get on
with it then... Yes, I'm quite happy if some go in my back yard.

Ditto.

Oh look:

He's actually engaged his braincell. Allejyula!

Either that or we'd better go back to an agrerian lifestyle and throw away
all the toys...

As the Green Nazis would have you do. Go to work on a bicycle, and live
in a hut.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
The demand will not reduce. If anything, despite energy saving measures,
the demand will increase for other reasons (electric cars, more people,
whatever).

Of course it will - unless prices force it to reduce. For all the moans
about road fuel prices I haven't noticed any reduction in road use - and
that's in London where there are alternatives.

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Help needed with identifying cause for dirty white illumination in LCD monitors. Looks yellowish / off white! Chad Entringer Electronics Repair 6 July 22nd 07 02:05 PM
bathroom remodel is killing me (White or Biscuit, Cast Iron or Fiberglass) Tony Home Ownership 8 April 30th 07 05:17 AM
MLB Bat Rules Tom Watson Woodworking 24 April 17th 06 04:08 PM
Bathroom fan switch rules [email protected] UK diy 1 October 28th 03 02:22 PM