Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sliding mitre saw

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
fred wrote:
For those wanting a bit more capacity than the recent Aldi offering and
not having an aversion to lower cost power tools, B&Q have a 250mm
MacAllister 1800W Double Bevel Slide Compound Mitre Saw at £119, reduced
from £169.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...condid=9286368

The site has a pic but no useful data.

Max cut 280 x 80mm, with predictable reductions for mitres & bevels.

If that's the one I played with in the store the other day it seemed to
not be terribly rigid. Of course the display one could have had something
loose - but it just seemed springy, somehow.

I gave this one some abuse in the store before buying and I couldn't
find a noticeable twist on any axis but on getting it home I have
noticed that for the cleanest edge on a long cut that the plunge before
slide needs to be gentle and unforced. If brutal the deviation is small
and perhaps that was the blade moving a bit.

My PP one cuts 12" - and that's the minimum I'll except. I put up a lot of
shelves. ;-)

Thanks for that, it was your post in the earlier thread that reminded me
that I needed a 12" cut which was beyond the Aldi offering. Thanks also
to Andy Dingley for the no nonsense comments and the 30mm arbour info.

Weight wise however this is a monster and I wouldn't get one if I didn't
need it for the longer cuts.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 23, 2008 11:33:08 AM UTC-7, fred wrote:
For those wanting a bit more capacity than the recent Aldi offering and
not having an aversion to lower cost power tools, B&Q have a 250mm
MacAllister 1800W Double Bevel Slide Compound Mitre Saw at £119, reduced
from £169.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...condid=9286368

The site has a pic but no useful data.

Max cut 280 x 80mm, with predictable reductions for mitres & bevels.

Seems reasonably chunky but not tried out in anger.
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Friday, May 23, 2008 11:33:08 AM UTC-7, fred wrote:
For those wanting a bit more capacity than the recent Aldi offering and
not having an aversion to lower cost power tools, B&Q have a 250mm
MacAllister 1800W Double Bevel Slide Compound Mitre Saw at £119, reduced
from £169.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...condid=9286368

The site has a pic but no useful data.

Max cut 280 x 80mm, with predictable reductions for mitres & bevels.

Seems reasonably chunky but not tried out in anger.
--
fred

If it's this one
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-too...skuId=11448331
or similar I bought one two years ago for £99. With care the thing can
deliver good accurate results, but of course it isn't like one costing
£400. I've used mine a lot and it shows no signs of wearing out. The
lazer gadget is totally useless.

Bill