Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default looking for K type multimeter, and thermistor

wrote in message
On May 28, 5:09 pm, "whisky-dave" wrote:
wrote in message

On May 22, 8:29 pm, Clint Sharp wrote:

What accuracy and/or precision

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocouple

in their picture they have the same meter I have by the looks of
it.http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fas...quipment/Test-...

at under £20 including the probe, but don't expect accuracy of 0.01C
trust it to be within a a couple of Cs.
I've tried the two I have here swapping the thermocouples around gives
a range of readouts between 18C & 21C. The meters themselves seem
to be about 1-2C difference with no probe connected.

What are yougoing to use it for, my use was to test the temerature
of an electric cookers oven as teh numbers on teh dial had all
been wiped away. I checked it with another oven and setting the oven temp
to 200C got meter results between 196C and 203C or there abouts which
I thought was accurate enough for my use.

hard drive temp..
ideally would want a flat shaped piece of metal that I can tape to the
hard drive.

The place to measure, apparently is on the bottom, there is this black
circular area. A small bit of flat metal will do. Like this

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi.../images/12.htm

Interesting.
Another alternative possible

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...-210&x=10&y=10

This are small pads that record the temperature via colour change a bit like
those you see on the outside of aquariums.
But yuo'll have to keep opening up the PC to check, but handy iof all
you ant to know is the maxuim tempt. over a period of time.

Another solution might be an aquarium thermometer (~£13)
the probe might be a bit more bulky, but you could stick the
display to the case.

Not sure what wires to buy with the thermocouple..
I have heard that a thermocouple needs to be plugged into a special
socket for it.. e.g. K-Type thermocouple into a socket for K-Type
thermocouples.

The rapid meter 328 comes with the theremocouple no lead(s)
required. (includes socket too)

I see, from
rapidonline.com
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fas...eter/31051/kw/

I am glad I am getting more options...

They all seem to involve the multimeter with the LCD screen, looks
like the way things are done..

It's a convenient way.

I don't see many options in types of probe though..
Fair enough, K-Type thermocouple probe

Perhaps a more specislied supplier could help
http://www.tcdirect.co.uk/deptprod.asp?deptid=280

But the contact at the end..

Ideally, I would like it to be like in that picture.

BTW, how did you measure in the oven, did you stick the probe to the
outside?

No it was an oven with a glass door they have air gaps around them
and I poked the wire through that so the end tip sort of hung mid oven.

How did you not burn the jacket of the wire?

The sleaving did go brown/discoloured but didn show any signs of damage
up to 220C, didn't smoke either

How about using a thermistor instead.. 'cos if that doesn't require
any special socket, wouldn't it be better?

Not really, as you'd have to construct a circuit for it.
The meter has a switch position 'calibrated' for the thermocouple
so just read the Cs of the scale direct.-

with a table with C and resistance, it should be fine though, right?
Yes, but is it worth the hassle.
Perhaps ask on an electronics group to build a circuit if you're not sure.

A build your own example,
you'd have to move the sensor to where you want it though
http://www.riccibitti.com/pc_therm.htm